• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve CES Conference January 6. 8pm EST/5pm PST [Ended in 7 minutes]

I wonder what they plan on showing?

Link

t1389056400z4.png

Liveblog Links

Ars Technia
The Verge

sense

same time as sony press conference? kaz and gabe walk out together confirmed!!!half life 3 confirmed!!! ps4 is steam box confirmed!!!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Left 4 Dead 3.

Edit: Wait, so this is in about 1 hour? any live streams?

xemumanic

I am watching The Verge live, and they say Valve AND Sony are on at the same time.
That sucks, but an easy choice.

same time as sony press conference? kaz and gabe walk out together confirmed!!!half life 3 confirmed!!! ps4 is steam box confirmed!!!

Gabe walks out with an awesome looking steam machine, followed closely by Kaz with an awesome looking VR headset. He puts it on, and starts playing Half Life 3 with VR.

Universe collapses under the weight of the awesome

Nzyme32

Had a thread going for a while now, but SteamDB have a really nice layout.

Copy pasta:

Liveblogs will be available for the event. Here is a link to Ars Technica's Blog & The Verge's live blog
t1389056400z4.png

The Verge speculation:
VALVE: MONDAY, 5PM PT / 8PM ET
Last year at CES, Valve held closed-door meetings with hardware partners to build momentum for its mysterious, reinvented gaming console. We got our hands on Valve's prototype Steam Machine and Steam Controller in November, but Valve still has a lot of questions to answer. In the next few days, we expect Valve's hardware and software partners to reveal the Steam Machines that you'll be able to buy later this year and the games you'll be able to play. We also might see some virtual reality gear; Valve could be making its own VR headset, but it's also been working to help the Oculus Rift take off. If you've been following Valve's console play since the initial Steam Box rumors, stay tuned: CES 2014 is Valve's first real coming out party.

xemumanic

I haven't searched. There seems to be the liveblog on Ars. I'll take a look.

I know The Verge will have both. Just heard them say so a bit ago.

EDIT: Based on syko de4d's post below me, I may be wrong. But when they did Nvidia's last night, they had the video playing at the top of the blog. The fact that its not there is more proof than anything that there may not be a live stream.

I know The Verge will have both. Just heard them say so a bit ago.

Are you sure its a livestream? I don't see anywhere on their website website indicating it's a livestream :(.

EDIT: Based on syko de4d's post below me, I may be wrong. But when they did Nvidia's last night, they had the video playing at the top of the blog. The fact that its not there is more proof than anything that there may not be a live stream.

Just have to wait till the event is nearing. Hopefully there will be one up.

Realistically, I hope we'll get a date for the Steam controller release. Really want to try that puppy out!

As far as games go... I doubt it will be anything I care about. :\
Half-life and Portal are the only Valve games I really like, so a sequel/expansion/etc. announcement about L4D, Counterstrike, TF2, or Dota 2 wouldn't really be aimed at me.

I'd definitely be interested if a NEW game were to be announced, though! :D

A Half Life 3 demo after a Game Informer Reveal? The first ever AAA natively produced Linux Game to really promote linux as a gaming platform? Imagine...just imagine if that were the case. I know all be let down, but it's all to ominous esp Gaben making the rounds recently.

edit, silly me...would still be cool to hear something about it though.

SuperJay

I think it's strange there haven't been any reports of an Oculus Rift presence on the floor yet, despite senior staff claiming the latest prototype will be there. On top of that, there were some coy comments about Valve and Oculus being "friends" recently.

Think we can expect an official partnership announcement?

HariKari

I think it's strange there haven't been any reports of an Oculus Rift presence on the floor yet, despite senior staff claiming the latest prototype will be there. On top of that, there were some coy comments about Valve and Oculus being "friends" recently.

Just out of curiosity, how much would it take for Valve to buy Oculus outright? I know that would be unprecedented for them, but getting directly involved in what is in all likelihood the next big thing for PC gaming (and gaming in general) might be a prudent move.

CES officially starts tomorrow. So hang in there pal :).

jediyoshi

Implementation into Steam (VR branding on store pages), and Source (TF2) have been in for a bit. Don't know if they have more to gain by making a bigger deal of collabs unless OR had more to announce consumer wise.

Sentenza

Would CES really be a good time to reveal Source 2 and Left for Dead 3? Never really care too much for CES before to know how game companies respond.
CES used to be quite relevant to gaming MANY years ago (I still remember game magazines from my youth making specials for it yearly) but since then things changed a lot.
Now software developers hardly care about it, it's considered more suited for business and consumer tech unrelated to gaming.

What should I be expecting from this conference? Are they just going to show off the Steam Machine, games, or something else? Not sure if I should watch it yet since I've never seen a Valve CES before.

DarkFlow

Banned
IDK why people are excited about Sony, that's mainly going to be TV's, Blu-Ray, crap like that. I'll be surprised if it's anything PlayStation related.

Nzyme32

I can't remember any recently. Is this the first?

They have a business booth every year but this is definitely new. It's their first conference and their first larger sized booth. Although I assume there will be a lot of stuff going on at different OEM booths too

Darknight

This is whats gonna happen.

GabeN: Ladies and gentlemen please give a round of applause for our guest....Shu Yoshida!
GAF: *faints*
Shu: Has a mic in had, wispers "2015".
*stage goes pitch black*
*POOF* Shu is gone! POOF*
** "Greatness Awaits Dr.Freeman" is displayed on projector**

GAF crashes.

Top Bottom