• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve CES Conference January 6. 8pm EST/5pm PST [Ended in 7 minutes]

I can't remember any recently. Is this the first?

No, last year was the announcement of the Steam Machines initiative. This is their second year at CES.

Don't expect a whole lot in terms of mind blowing announcements (aka games). It's going to be going over the various OEM hardware options for Steam most likely, maybe talk about the controller as well. It's also possible we may hear some more details or see some demos for SteamOS (have we seen the in-home streaming yet? That would be a good candidate for them to show).

Regardless, I'll still be watching the live blogs.

Durante

They have a business booth every year but this is definitely new. It's their first conference and their first larger sized booth.
Well, that makes sense. They never really had any CES-appropriate content before -- now they do.

I hope they'll show the final (or at least a "more final") version of the controller, but it might be too soon for that still.

Just out of curiosity, how much would it take for Valve to buy Oculus outright? I know that would be unprecedented for them, but getting directly involved in what is in all likelihood the next big thing for PC gaming (and gaming in general) might be a prudent move.

They can do it easily probably. The thing is I think they like all Valve employees to be in their Seattle offices. I mean twice they have bought/hired people that live elsewhere (L4D devs, Plants vs Zombies devs) and both times it didn't work out.

Sony "oh I see how it is Valve"

going to have both of them up at the same time >:D

Edit: No livestream only liveblogging.... come one VALVE
:mad:

Exuro

ugh I was planning on leaving in 30 minutes to get home(3 hour drive). Anyone know how long this is?

traveler

Not Wario
Sony and Valve both picked the wrong week. AGDQ > *

I think any software related stuff will likely come out of Valve's SteamOS dev event next week.

Not that I think they'll show any games tonight, but the dev event is strictly that: an event for devs. No media allowed. I don't think they'll be using it to make any big announcements.

Kade

I think any software related stuff will likely come out of Valve's SteamOS dev event next week.

We wouldn't know about it then. Steam Dev Days is off-the-record. No press allowed.

We might get a bit of new information if there's any in the developer presentations they publicly release afterwards.

feel

I hope they have something interesting for PC gamers who already have gaming rigs, also known as practically their entire customer/fan base.

traveler

Not Wario
GI Cover reveal incoming

Wasn't that some next gen exclusive? (I guess it'd still be fair game considering how the media treat Titanfall as some next gen killer app when it's also a PC title.) No way Valve is giving MS and/or Sony an exclusive over the PC.

HariKari

We wouldn't know about it then. Steam Dev Days is off-the-record. No press allowed.

We might get a bit of new information if there's any in the developer presentations they publicly release afterwards.

Not that I think they'll show any games tonight, but the dev event is strictly that: an event for devs. No media allowed. I don't think they'll be using it to make any big announcements.

Of course it will be private. But it'd be nice to give devs a close look at what they have in store for the future, and follow it up with some announcements that weekend. I expect any major software announcements (think Valve games) to have a SteamOS/Controller/Box style rollout that is very visible. Not a CES footnote.

Kadin

CES used to be quite relevant to gaming MANY years ago (I still remember game magazines from my youth making specials for it yearly) but since then things changed a lot.
Now software developers hardly care about it, it's considered more suited for business and consumer tech unrelated to gaming.

Agreed. I was at CES when Super Metroid was coming out along with Star Fox way back in the day. That was THE place to be for anything video games related, now not so much. Those were some great times for sure. Definitely had to make a detour at some point to the adult show along with the separate award show but I digress...

Silky

Banned
uJWWIdM.png

Probably just more Steam Machines stuff

Clawww

Agreed. I was at CES when Super Metroid was coming out along with Star Fox way back in the day. That was THE place to be for anything video games related, now not so much. Those were some great times for sure. Definitely had to make a detour at some point to the adult show along with the separate award show but I digress...

i hear it's just a smutworld up there on the second floor

wedward

Can he just hurry up and let is know if Half-life is ever coming? If it's not I wont ever have to venture over to this side again.

HariKari

Now there's an idea that'd work.

I'd take a step further and say include any Valve back catalog title that is Linux compatible. Their utility as a draw for SteamOS is probably greater than the revenue they bring in, or worth it. Valve complete pack routinely goes for $50.

BPoole

This is whats gonna happen.

GabeN: Ladies and gentlemen please give a round of applause for our guest....Shu Yoshida!
GAF: *faints*
Shu: Has a mic in had, wispers "2015".
*stage goes pitch black*
*POOF* Shu is gone! POOF*
** "Greatness Awaits Dr.Freeman" is displayed on projector**

GAF crashes.

Wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the Greatness™

Top Bottom