• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Deus Ex and System Shock 2? Check out CONSORTIUM!

AHA-Lambda

Everyone is saying it looks hideous, but it says right in the title that it's for fans of Deus Ex and System Shock 2.

The title is puzzling. It's supposed to be a interactive / dynamic story adventure game, not something like Deus Ex or SS2 (games that I love, in the other hand).

Think a Telltale game. But with real interactivity and player choices instead of only a few superficial or fake ones.

This is getting very confusing now. I would personally like this part cleared up, cos alot of people are being sold on this as being Deus Ex, when apparently it's not.

epmode

I knew it! The OP is downright misleading some people then.

So it's like a Telltale game but with meaningful decisions and combat. Basically not a Telltale game at all.

Here's are impressions from Rock Paper Shotgun:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/impressions-consortium-2/

Indie or not, it could use some shadows and lightmaps... maybe some special shaders and camera fx. You know, some polishing, that's all.

$70,000.

Maybe they'll be able to afford some of that if it sells well.

Durante

I just started playing and it's really fantastic so far, much better than I expected. I wa about to make an OT but good to see this is already up.

The title is puzzling. It's supposed to be a interactive / dynamic story adventure game, not something like Deus Ex or SS2 (games that I love, in the other hand).

Think a Telltale game. But with real interactivity and player choices instead of only a few superficial or fake ones.
I really don't think so. At all. Just looking at my inventory it seems far more Deus Ex than Telltale:

consortium_2014_01_093ceun.jpg

Bonus screenshot:
consortium_2014_01_0910cge.jpg

Durante

I also really don't mind the graphics, they are functional and there is a in-universe explanation for why they look like that.

In fact, there's an in-universe explanation for pretty much everything!

Xyber

Everyone is saying it looks hideous, but it says right in the title that it's for fans of Deus Ex and System Shock 2.

And why does that matter? Did they make a game with this awful art style because of how those 2 games looked so many years ago? And I still think SS2 looks good when it comes to the art style, this does not.

epmode

Early impressions are good. The music is nice and the game is really focused on immersing you in the setting, right down to the way the main menu is in-fiction. Try acting like an idiot to the person who comes in and briefs you, it's pretty funny.

cicero

This is a very shallow GAF thread right now.

That is coming off the Titanfall thread last night...maybe I should just check out of GAF for a while.

I felt the exact same way about that Titanfall thread last night as I do reading through this one now. This is what I get for venturing too far outside the GAF GOG & Steam threads.

Just some quick impressions. Played for 30 minutes or so, mostly playing with the in game combat simulator and reading the in game computer text logs and articles.

Combat is very very basic and should not be the reason at all for buying this game. The focus of the game is on conversations and decisions made there. Well only played 30 minutes like I wrote so haven't really gotten into the game.

So far I am very happy with my purchase, now I got to get to bed though.

Iztli

No wonder games like Skyrim sell like crazy. Apparently all you need is pretty graphics to get a free pass. :/ I mean just reading the features sounds like something I would want in all my rpg's/games

• Dive into a world with well over 150,000 words of back-story and lore, where everything you read, see, speak, or hear relates to the story and characters, and everything is there for a reason.

• The story unfolds based largely on your actions. You may use diplomacy and talk your way through the entire game - never shooting anyone! OR, decide to use deadly or non-lethal force.

• Regardless of what you choose to do or not, the experience always moves forward, adapting seamlessly to YOU.

GFX be damned :p

vocab

No wonder games like Skyrim sell like crazy. Apparently all you need is pretty graphics to get a free pass. :/ I mean just reading the features sounds like something I would want in all my rpg's/games

Ya pretty much. It really sad a game like Mount and Blade, a game with a budget of a 5 year olds lemonade stand has amazing and deep melee combat with average graphics, but Skyrim, a game with combat so outdated and shitty that came from early 90's PC games gets a pass.

Jenga

Banned
so does the game have any save files for the next installment? i believe it did mention it'd only be a sequel thematically or something

I really don't like when people advertise (x) game as (y) game but I suppose it isn't really fair for me to judge that unless I've played both.

And why does that matter? Did they make a game with this awful art style because of how those 2 games looked so many years ago? And I still think SS2 looks good when it comes to the art style, this does not.

2.jpg

I adore system shock 2, but come on. It looked bad even when it was new.

eXistor

What the hell, this came out of nowhere for me. I'm gonna read some impressions and maybe I'll get it, but I don't really have an opening for it right now (too damn many games). This is right up my alley though.

Why are people bitching about graphics again? It sounds like everything so many people of GAF want and all you can say it "graphics suck, so no"? I thought we were better than that.

Durante

But RPS in that link right there compares it to TellTale. But then again, Durante says otherwise =/
It's a game where you move around in first person more or less freely, interact with stuff, have an inventory and fight. You have a conditions, health, energy, heck, state of your individual organs. And that's just what I've seen in the first 40 minutes.

I don't feel like it is much like a TellTale game, at all.

vocab

You also repair and heal your self via the resources you have, and there's a hev suit recharge station. There's different statuses you have to heal individually as well.

Nzyme32

That title is how you grab attention. Sounds interesting, will try and check it out for sure. I agree that the artstyle is a bit...... janky. It feels like they wanted the older deus ex/system shock 2 asthetic or older game look, but it has that newness that makes it seem disordered. If they just had it look like the old deus ex it may have been more palatable.

Zafir

It's a game where you move around in first person more or less freely, interact with stuff, have an inventory and fight. You have a conditions, health, energy, heck, state of your individual organs. And that's just what I've seen in the first 40 minutes.

I don't feel like it is much like a TellTale game, at all.
How does the fighting play out anyway? I was watching the stream earlier, and I only really saw exploring the ship and talking.

Kind of tempted but at the same time I'm kind of hesitant at the price.

Durante

You also repair and heal your self via the resources you have, and there's a hev suit recharge station. There's different statuses you have to heal individually as well.
Yeah, and they even seem to have an interesting system for balancing equipment load and usable (utility) energy.

Reishiki

Banned
Impulse bought on the concepts presented. Art style reminds me of something, can't put my finger on it, but I like it anyway. I also like the concept of building an advanced sci-fi ship like thing out of an old Boeing.

I've just cleared
the boarding section having captured Kiril
. My only issues so far have been a couple of minor bugs (Duplicated audio subtitles and a really strange random death).

Durante

I just downloaded a patch, that was quick. No idea what it fixed, haven't had any issues so far.

How does the fighting play out anyway?
I assume from the virtual reality training program I just completed that combat plays like an FPS:
consortium_2014_01_09qals5.jpg

With interesting nonlethal options.

Bonus screenshots:
consortium_2014_01_095qaka.jpg

consortium_2014_01_09ksyrd.jpg

consortium_2014_01_09ygati.jpg

consortium_2014_01_096waaf.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think some of the reactions earlier in this thread suggest the danger of picking a thread title like the one chosen here AND writing an incredulous OP about how is no one playing this game that just came out today that you've gotta play?!?!?

The dialogue system reminds me of Alpha Protocol more than anything. Timed dialogue and per-character reputation.

Oh now you ruined it for me ;)

Look you can't just invoke the names of two games renowned for their iconic attention to correct spelling and grammar, then expect people to overlook these things.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I think some of the reactions earlier in this thread suggest the danger of picking a thread title like the one chosen here AND writing an incredulous OP about how is no one playing this game that just came out today that you've gotta play?!?!?

I honestly think that in many ways, this is the closest thing to a Deus Ex or System Shock game in forever!

Durante

I think that's one spin on it. A less charitable view could be that some posters here are actually really shallow.

Anyway, perhaps it would make sense to make this the |OT| for the game? And perhaps rename it, though I really don't think those comparisons are that far off base. Though it's hard to come up with something completely comparable, I can't really think of many first person action RPGs focused on such a small (but dense) setting.

Just tried alt-tabbing to see if it'd be alright with that. Nope. Save before you give that a shot.
Just set the game to borderless windowed fullscreen. Was positively surprised that it had an option for that!

Durante

It actually goes a bit beyond what I remember AP doing in letting you choose to talk to different people at times during conversations were more than 2 characters are involved. I liked that.

Grief.exe

I just started playing and it's really fantastic so far, much better than I expected. I wa about to make an OT but good to see this is already up.

I really don't think so. At all. Just looking at my inventory it seems far more Deus Ex than Telltale:

consortium_2014_01_093ceun.jpg

Bonus screenshot:
consortium_2014_01_0910cge.jpg

You should downsample and force some good AA Durante, put the game through its paces.

Would really give the distance some clarity, like in the second shot it starts to get a bit blurry as you get farther away.

Top Bottom