• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine 2 in 3D on the PS4 is incredible

whitehawk

Banned
I believe it's the only 3D game on the PS4, which is a shame, but what a 3D game. Finally we have the power to run games at decent resolutions and frame rates in 3D. It drops down to 720p, but maintains a solid 60 FPS which is needed for great 3D. Last gen most games ran sub 720p and at sub 30 frames. I really wish more games would add 3D support. There shouldn't be any performance problems if you drop the resolution down to 720. (Which will have to happen, since I don't think the current HDMI standard supports 1080p 3D at 60fps.

Does anyone know if there are any 3D PS4 games on the horizon?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What's crazy is that the game would display 1080p/60 in 3D if HDMI allowed that, as they internally render it at that before scaling to 720p output. Frozenbyte guys were saying that if PS4s firmware is ever updated to allow for this, their game would do it automatically (not sure if TVs also have some kind of firmware limit when it comes to this though).

Jedi2016

Trine is almost hard to play or watch in 2D after playing it in 3D. As impressive as the graphics are otherwise, 3D takes it to a whole new level.

I really hope more devs actually make an effort to use 3D moving forward.

whitehawk

Banned
Trine is almost hard to play or watch in 2D after playing it in 3D. As impressive as the graphics are otherwise, 3D takes it to a whole new level.

I really hope more devs actually make an effort to use 3D moving forward.
Agreed. I switched to 2D after playing it exclusively in 3D, and it was tough to go back to. I switched back to 3D right away.
Zen Pinball 2 is also in 3D. Try the demo.
Downloading asap

Skeff

I believe it's the only 3D game on the PS4, which is a shame, but what a 3D game. Finally we have the power to run games at decent resolutions and frame rates in 3D. It drops down to 720p, but maintains a solid 60 FPS which is needed for great 3D. Last gen most games ran sub 720p and at sub 30 frames. I really wish more games would add 3D support. There shouldn't be any performance problems if you drop the resolution down to 720. (Which will have to happen, since I don't think the current HDMI standard supports 1080p 3D at 60fps.

Does anyone know if there are any 3D PS4 games on the horizon?

Don't know if there are any on the horizon, But I can give you some more info about the Resolution here, It's actually still rendered internally at 1080p and supersampled to 720p due to the HDMI specification. If the PS4 HDMI is updated via firmware to 2.0 (it's unknown if this is possible, Trine 2 should be payable at 1080/60 in 3D. So maybe you'll be able to go back to this game to experience it in 1080p3D at a later date :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm really tempted to buy that Playstation 3D monitor now for this game, SSDHD, Ico and UC3. It's dirt cheap nowadays too, ~$160 refurbished. What's stopping me is that from all accounts it's a flawed product that dies after few months of use due to crappy PSU. There's hundreds if not thousands accounts online complaining about same exact issue, even after 3rd or 4th replacement.

I wasn't impressed by the 3d tbh. The game itself is quite lovely but it makes my PS4 run loud.
Not the case here. KZ is one game that makes fan work harder than any other I tried so far, Trine 2 not really. If you keep the console vertical, put it back horizontal, and try again.

whitehawk

Banned
I'm really tempted to buy that Playstation 3D monitor now for this game, SSDHD, Ico and UC3. It's dirt cheap nowadays too, ~$160 refurbished. What's stopping me is that from all accounts it's a flawed product that dies after few months of use due to crappy PSU.
It's not a great monitor. I'm using it, but I got it for $100 dollars. Decent picture quality, good 3D. There are two problems I experience. When you turn it on every time, there is a ton of ghosting. You have to cycle through the 3D modes, back to 2D mode to fix it. Not a deal breaker, but quite annoying. I've also had the screen go black for 2-3 seconds, and then turn back on. Not often though.

For the price though, it's probably the cheapest way to get into 3D gaming. Plus it comes with Motorstorm.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's not a great monitor. I'm using it, but I got it for $100 dollars. Decent picture quality, good 3D. There are two problems I experience. When you turn it on every time, there is a ton of ghosting. You have to cycle through the 3D modes, back to 2D mode to fix it. Not a deal breaker, but quite annoying. I've also had the screen go black for 2-3 seconds, and then turn back on. Not often though.

For the price though, it's probably the cheapest way to get into 3D gaming. Plus it comes with Motorstorm.
Yeah, the screen going black and then back on is the issue that apparently keeps just getting worse until the unit stops working (at least that's what most people were saying). People with electronics knowledge think it's due to PSU using underspecced capacitors.

Barryman

Shocked there isn't any arbitrary anti-3D hate in this topic yet.

This sounds awesome though, I will definitely check this out when/if I get a PS4.

This is my next game purchase when I get bored w don't starve

I have been meaning to buy this for weeks, then that super PSN sale this week just took my Trine 2 money. Now I am thinking about getting Tomb Raider PS4 tomorrow at Best Buy (never played the game) since I can get it for about $30 after GCU, their %10 off PS4 coupon, and some credit I have.

So Trine 2 is still on the back burner, but I will definitely get it, sooner than later if it would go on a little sale, which I dont think the game has gone on sale yet, at all.

R3TRODYCE

Not the case here. KZ is one game that makes fan work harder than any other I tried so far, Trine 2 not really. If you keep the console vertical, put it back horizontal, and try again.

I've had it horizontal since launch. I notice the fans when I play Trine 2 and Resogun but when I play Warthunder or Contrast I don't hear them.

Yeah, the screen going black and then back on is the issue that apparently keeps just getting worse until the unit stops working (at least that's what most people were saying). People with electronics knowledge think it's due to PSU using underspecced capacitors.

Mine is doing the same. It does that go to black thing about once a day. Other than that, I love this little display.

fvng

Common misconception. It's completely up to the pub/dev to include it. Besides, is Trine 2 a Sony game?

Obviously not, but there was a giant push for 3D games on the ps3.. just surprised to see even ONE 3D games on the ps4.

Get Zen.

In 3d, all the ramps and details actually stand out, making things much easier to see on some of the busier tables.

The star wars pack is full of cool details and model ships flying around.

Jedi2016

Obviously not, but there was a giant push for 3D games on the ps3.. just surprised to see even ONE 3D games on the ps4.
They're just not advertising it, is all, or pushing devs into including it. If the devs choose to do so, they're more than welcome to do it.

Nags

Banned

That push was for first party games really. Of which there are 0 with 3D support at this time on PS4. Hoping for a Resogun update to include it though.

Surfheart

I tried it and was dissapointed in the 3D.
The drop to 720p really hurts it for me.

I've played trine 2 in 3D on my PC and it looked significantly better.

Agreed, it's freaking gorgeous in 3D.

Hopefully Resogun gets an update eventually.

What's crazy is that the game would display 1080p/60 in 3D if HDMI allowed that, as they internally render it at that before scaling to 720p output. Frozenbyte guys were saying that if PS4s firmware is ever updated to allow for this, their game would do it automatically (not sure if TVs also have some kind of firmware limit when it comes to this though).

Yeah.

Im a bit confused....I thought PS4 needed a software update to do 3d movies, but it can do 3d games?

Yup, that's right, 3d gaming seems to be ready with Trine working, we're still waiting for an update to enable 3d blu-ray movies.

sono

Gold Member
I learned three things in this thread.

1. There is another demo I can download for free to PS4 (for some reason it doesn't show up in PSN if filter games by PS4 free demos, you only find it by a search for trine 2)

2. There is a 3D PS4 game out

3. PS4 3D only support 720p because of a HDMI limitation (which blows)

thanks

Skeff

I learned three things in this thread.

1. There is another demo I can download for free to PS4 (for some reason it doesn't show up in PSN if filter games by PS4 free demos, you only find it by a search for trine 2)

2. There is a 3D PS4 game out

3. PS4 3D only support 720p because of a HDMI limitation (which blows)

thanks

It supports 1080p 3D but only at 30fps, The same limitation applies on the PC version by HDMI cable too.

Essentially in 3D it pushes double the frames, so in 3D it is essentially pushing 120 frames per second.

Stillmatic

I really wish more games would add 3D support. There shouldn't be any performance problems if you drop the resolution down to 720.

Me too. What killed it last gen was the sub 720 drop, if they can run 1080p games in 720p3D (minimum) I'd be really happy.

Nags

Banned
"I wasn't impressed by the 3d tbh. The game itself is quite lovely but it makes my PS4 run loud."

Never had that problem. Maybe you should contact PlayStation customer support.

mitchman

Gold Member

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI:

HDMI 1.4b was released on October 11, 2011.[154] One of the new features is that it adds support to 3D 1080p video at 120 Hz -allowing frame packing 3D format at 1080p60 per Eye (120 Hz total)

I guess the PS4 doesn't support HDMI 1.4b. A shame really.

Bradach

I tried it and was dissapointed in the 3D.
The drop to 720p really hurts it for me.

I've played trine 2 in 3D on my PC and it looked significantly better.

Really? i played it in 3d on my PC too (720p) and I thought it looks identical on PS4. I didn't put a lot of time into either mind you

Great game and gorgeous in 3D, as others have said also get Zen which looks amazing and has some cross buy with tables from Vita/PS3, I think they are also giving away one table free too right now, so you don't even have to pay anything for it.

Pretty certain Housemarque said they were working on patching in 3D for Resogun which will just make it mindblowing. Hope that some bigger games get the 3D treatment too, really enjoyed Uncharted 3 and GT5 on the PS3.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Trine 2 on 3D? Welcome to 2011.
Back up - the PS4 has been available since 2011? Then... but...
537.gif

I kid, I kid

I'm glad the PS4 has some kind of 3D Support. I have Trine 2 on PC, but I'll be grabbing the demo and seeing how it fares - any excuse for another play through.

Top Bottom