• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY Santa Monica Studio is leaving Santa Monica. New studio name soon?

Bundy

Banned
Sony Computer Entertainment’s Santa Monica Studio, which produces Sony’s “God of War” franchise is moving from its cramped headquarters to the southwest corner of the Reserve, a large 20-acre facility on Jefferson Boulevard, in Playa Vista this summer.

LINK

So keeping the name "Santa Monica Studio" wouldn't make any sense, imho :p
New studio name incoming? I hope so!

I would like it more if every Sony owned studio would get an own unique name, like "Naughty Dog", "Guerrilla Games, "Media Molecule", with an own animated studio logo.

See here:

i6QinciRI8iXA.gif

zev.gif

Fans can "connect" themselves better with their favourite studio and it's better for the studio/brand recognition. Everybody knows SONY's "Naughty Dog" Studio, etc.
But SONY "Santa Monica Studio", "San Diego Studio", "Japan Studio" sounds absolutely boring.

They should start a vote, where every staff member can nominate/suggest a new name, etc.
Would be really cool :)

Your opinion?
Any name suggestions?
Let me hear it!

V_Ben

Banned
I'd love to see them choose their own name, or for each team to go by 'Team *project name*', which would be quite nice.

PirateKing

God of War. So when they announce a different game, they'd put a sticker on the box that says ''From the makers of God of War'' made by God of War.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hopefully they will expand into more teams. I know they have "Stig team" in addition to God of War people, but Stig maybe has only small group of people that is working on a pre-production.

They could easily put 600-700 people there to form 3 team.

Sony LA Studio.

They already have Tokyo Studio, so may as well keep with the theme.

I agree with the OP; I prefer it when first party developers have unique names like Media Molecule, Polyphony, Evolution, etc.

I'll miss the logo, it looked great.

feature-SonySantaMonica.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking yesterday when watching that 'Inside SSM' video that the logo is so cool. It'll be a shame if they have to get rid of it.

I wouldn't like to guess what they would like to be renamed, but something which reflects the scale and polish of their games would be cool. What's a synonym phrase for 'impressive vistas'?

V_Ben

Banned
Also, some reposted/new careers!

Definitely an open-world game from them, then.

http://sms.playstation.com/careers/

http://sms.playstation.com/careers/8/senior-open-world-level-designer/

DESIGN ANY ELEMENT IN GAME INCLUDING:

Open world level design
Ambient gameplay and side missions
Navigation/platforming challenges
Building 3D environments
Modeling and texturing
Designing and implementing fun/challenging AI layouts
Scripting entities
Placing rough cameras, including animated and entity-triggered cameras
Sound implementation
Level warping and gameflow
Cinematic placement and triggering

Vague, but the bolded makes me feel like perhaps it could be a God of War thing. Open world GoW would be super whoa.

Bundy

Banned
I'd love to see them choose their own name

I agree with the OP; I prefer it when first party developers have unique names like Media Molecule, Polyphony, Evolution, etc.

Exactly :)

Hopefully they will expand into more teams. I know they have "Stig team" in addition to God of War people, but Stig maybe has only small group of people that is working on a pre-production.

They could easily put 600-700 people there to form 3 team.
Well, they have 3 teams now, since Cory Barlog returned.
(he's forming his own team)

And they have another team which is helping 2nd Party Studios ala "Ready at Dawn", etc. (just like XDev in europe)

I think SSM is fine. It's awesome when the great stuff comes out of a nondescript dept. name

Like the old days with Sega, AM2 wasn't an awesome name but when you saw that palm tree on the screen you know what was up.

Also, some reposted/new careers!

Definitely an open-world game from them, then.

http://sms.playstation.com/careers/

The prospect of an open-world game from the creative leads behind GoWIII makes me pretty moist. If they can make a compelling environment with good combat, a variety of vehicles with great physics and some bloody jaw-dropping set-pieces it should be something amazing. I think it will be a sci-fi game with a heavy emphasis on vehicles and probably in third person but maybe a fusion of third and first person, as that ticks a few boxes Sony doesn't currently cater to.

"Sony Santa Monica Studio" which isn't in Santa Monica anymore?
Sounds dumb imho!

As stated above, Bethesda was named after Bethesda, Maryland which is where the studio was founded. But they moved to Rockville back in 1990 and never changed their name.

R_Deckard

I remeber when this was a Sure Fire Brand seal of a Quality game:-

1812282-rarewarelogoap6.jpg

But alas things change, I am sure they can come up with something as catchy maybe

Kratos Kreations

Sorry /hangs head

Top Bottom