• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY Santa Monica Studio is leaving Santa Monica. New studio name soon?

Poor guys, that's a pretty soul-less area of the west side. On the flip if any guys lived in northern Redondo like I used to it's a pretty nice bike/drive up Vista del Mar.

I'll miss the logo, it looked great.

feature-SonySantaMonica.jpg

Agreed. Hopefully the new one will rock too.

Article mentions SSM has "around 240" employees and they like it that way. Considering they help out other studios so much they probably have only 200 or so employees left for their own games. Since the GoW team was about 160-180 people it's not surprising Stig takes so long to make his game. It was a very small team until Ascension shipped. Probably means we will get the game late 2015.

The facility will also house a state-of-the-art recording studio, along with being just steps away from a brand-new cutting-edge motion capture facility. The new mo-cap facility is being constructed from the ground up, literally adjacent to our new studio. It will be used specifically to facilitate the needs of all game development coming not only out of Santa Monica Studio, but our good friends at Naughty Dog as well.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/29/santa-monica-studio-update-new-site-new-hq/

Carl

New building looks bloody massive. Awesome. And great that they're getting a new MoCap studio for them and Naughty Dog

i think the (unconfirmed) consensus is that they have 3 teams.
Thats what I'm thinking too. There has to be a new GoW game on the PS4.

Their building is unusually the home to whatever indy dev they have taken under their wing...like Giant Sparrow http://www.giantsparrow.com/blog/ ....wouldnt be surprised if the Chinese Room is curently there as well..... likely they have some other PSN games in th cooker
Ah, I didn't know SSM provided studio space to whichever indie team that they were working with. Thats a cool way to collaborate with devs.

Their building is unusually the home to whatever indy dev they have taken under their wing...like Giant Sparrow http://www.giantsparrow.com/blog/ ....wouldnt be surprised if the Chinese Room is curently there as well..... likely they have some other PSN games in th cooker

I did not know they housed their main indie partner - assuming this was the case for ThatGameCompany before Giant Sparrow then? Really cool idea to incubate and support indies in this way. Although I doubt The Chinese Room are there, as they're based in Bristol, UK, as I recall, and that's a hell of a shift to up sticks and move to LA.

So do we know how large SSM is right now and are they working on another project besides Stig and Cory?

Assuming Corey did not return to the studio to work on God of War, there should be three teams - GoW team, Stig's team and Corey's team. Corey heavily implied that he was working on something new and building a new line-up to manage it when he returned. There's also, I would assume, a division of producers and project managers who help with external developments.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Huh, so they'll be in EALA's neighborhood now. Interesting.

Don't see the issue here. Playa Vista is just a few blocks away from their old building and it's more of a community than a city. They're still close enough to Santa Monica that the name works. Many pro sports teams play in a different city but in the same metropolitan area as the larger city in their official name. Heck, the San Francisco 49ers are moving to Santa Clara on the other side of the Bay but keeping their name. No reason Sony SM can't do the same.

Top Bottom