• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wants to expand into health, learning, and other quality of life products

So this is basically Touch Generations the platform. All the casual stuff is to be moved to casual platform while gaming platform will stay as a pure gaming device. This is good. Now we can get all the "game" games on our "gaming" platform.

Dunno if they're actually moving those franchises over or just using their experience in developing them to create the new platform.

Sandfox

I'm afraid this won't do nearly as well as they are expecting.

Iwata or whoever is coming up with this stuff has officially lost it.

I think whether it is a successful venture or not will depend on the price, innovation and marketing because I would think that there is always going to be a market for fitness and health related things as long as it done properly.

Nilaul

What exactly do you do with a Non-wearable device? What the hell is a non-wearable device, if its not a console, nor mobile, nor watch/glass etc?

This could be good for them.

I hope this isn't an out for them/something that keeps them from competing with Sony/MS in the gaming space.

Hopefully we see a hiring spree or this will affect their gaming products.

Mlatador

Banned
I am actually curious about what the platform is actually. They've already done lots of software related to this (they recently released the Louvre app as well). The 3DS and Wii U at times are limited platforms for some of these since they still hold the "gaming" console stigma, and might open up interest in them if distanced from Mario and Zelda.

I'm curious as well. What I know from my personal experience, is, that I know quite a few people who are definitely interested in Wii Fit, fitness dancing, Yoga and whatnot, but are not too keen on buying the main hub - the Wii U - for all of this, since they are just not interested in traditional games.

Maybe the new device will be a standalone version of the balance board with the Wii U gamepad and basic processing power in it (maybe even a Wii/balance-board hybrid). They could sell that for less and maybe get the blue ocean crowd back, who knows?

MercuryLS

Banned
office-space.jpg

*sighs* That is the worst idea I've ever heard in my life Iwata.

Onesimos

So Nintendo wants to expand into health, learning, and quality of life products? This is not expected, but it may reminds me of the businesses it went through in the 1960s.

Glass Rebel

I think whether it is a successful venture or not will depend on the price, innovation and marketing because I would think that there is always going to be a market for fitness and health related things as long as it done properly.

And I bet they will get none of these right.

Seik

Banned
I guess this is a move that could either mean a tremendous success if handled properly or a terrible, terrible bomb.

Depending on what they want to...oh and fuck it, I don't even know what they mean with non-wearables. It's all so vague. :/

AND DON'T TELL ME 'NANONMACHINES, SON!'

For the nonwearable device, I'm imagining a device you can hook up to your TV or a stand alone device that can scan your body and give you your vital statistics (also using the Wii Balance Board to give your weight, total body fat, height, fluctuations, etc.). It would be like the Kinect. You could also use it to play educational or 'brain games' and play videos that show how to live a healthy lifestyle.

Sadist

I don't know if expanding towards health products is a good thing, but I do love the fact that this thread is full of surprised GAFers.

My guess is that 'non-wearable device' is just a service that you can access from various devices (PC, tablet, mobile) that tallies the software you are using/activities you are partaking in to perhaps suggest other products or software to help further improve your 'quality of life'. Perhaps they can organise discounts for gym memberships through the service and suchlike, to entice people to use the service. And of course, their software and hardware will tie in to it.

Intriguing news, anyway.

So Nintendo wants to expand into health, learning, and quality of life products? This is not expected, but it may reminds me of the businesses it went through in the 1960s.

If you watch Nintendo closely and follow their development over the last 50 years you could see this coming. Short term demands like going mobile, make games for my playstation, etc etc is not what Nintendo is about. Its just begging. Nintendo was heavily investing in education over the past 6 years. If you want to blame someone direct it at Miyamoto, its his new pet peeve.

Of course they won´t abandon games, they are just trying to expand their portfolio of products. One thing will remain the same: If you want to play their games - buy their hardware.

I had no idea Geocities was still a thing.

And that diagram is hilarious. It's literally

1. Branch out into healthcare and education
2. Leapfrog mobiles and wearables
3. ????
4. Profit

Bishop89

Nintendo need to focus on the wii u, the last thing they need is to focus on something else, which quite frankly sounds like a horrible idea for a videogame based company

spock

Lots of potential for Nintendo here if its done right. It also makes a lot of sense given their experience in gaming, hardware and research into the biometrics,etc. Its basically an indirect market that they have some success in where they can leverage their current assets and strengths.

Also the fact that the health market (fitbit,jawbone,nike, etc) is still young but gaining in popularity they have an opportunity to jump in with something new and fresh. All the current players are offer standard wearable.

If Nintendo has something new and fresh they will cut right into the current market and shake shit up.Hopefully making current offerings look primitive in contrast. Nintendo has a shot at kicking all the current players in the ass simply due to their experience in gaming.

kubricks

I think Nintendo started off as a flower arrangement company or something?
It makes sense on a business point of view to diverse your products when market changes, but is this even gaming related? Or is this just a DS strategy (brain training series) in different clothing? Do they still have plans for dedicated gaming device in the future?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also the fact that the health market (fitbit,jawbone,nike, etc) is still young but gaining in popularity they have an opportunity to jump in with something new and fresh. All the current players are offer standard wearable.

Wouldn't you agree that all those product leverage working with smartphones, tablets, rich web services, open data APIs, third party software, etc?

As a result, wouldn't you agree that competing products that were proprietary would have to either build up a surrounding ecosystem or would be at a competitive disadvantage?

I think Nintendo started off as a flower arrangement company or something?
It makes sense on a business point of view to diverse your products when market changes, but is this even gaming related? Or is this just a DS strategy (brain training series) in different clothing? Do they still have plans for dedicated gaming device in the future?

Playing cards. They always described themself as a Entertainment company. They are not tied to videogames though - it was just what made them the most money since the 80s.

Oersted

Actually, it's not that surprising. They had Pokemon Mini and than Pokewalker, Wii Fit series and medical projects. Looking back, it was always kinda there.

bon

So a third pillar device (presumably much cheaper than Wii U) that's targeting the blue ocean that they lost after the Wii?

That won't help the Wii U's situation, but I could see this making Nintendo money.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This is a good idea, allows them to make money in other areas which allows them to take more risks in game development.

Kimawolf

Yes im thinking they develop a entire eco system that you sign into. Its virtual and will monitor your cellphone, gaming devices, have some kind of augmented reality going on as well. So the platform is one base device that you can access through anything and can contact you.

Part Dennou coil part big brother.

sphagnum

Banned
Frankly it makes a lot of sense for Nintendo to get into the health industry in Japan considering how old its population is getting. I just have no clue what "nonwearable devices" are going to be.

18-Volt

@gibbogame - Iwata= is sharing philosophy with another company and aligning with them, -cannot do alone. Is this Disney?

Well, it must be, they are publishing their 3DS game in the west. They are pretty close, like Bowser in Wreck it Ralph and stuff.

scitek

As someone who used to be obese and lost over 100 lbs., I think this is great. I hope it works out for them, and they're able to spur people into working out that would've otherwise never bothered.

Top Bottom