• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Duke Nukem game by Interceptor Entertainment to be revealed in 25 days

UPDATE:

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7146-duke-nukem-mass-destruction/page__view__findpost__p__184040

lRvOyLm.jpg

"Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction" for PC & Playstation. Top down action RPG. Unreal Engine.

Welp!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ORIGINAL POST:

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746314&page=3

http://www.alloutofgum.com/ <- includes a 10K FB likes campaign

5cb4feedd6fe4c49adf14wrov6.png

Also interesting to note that back on the 28th of November, Frederik Schreiber (the CEO at Interceptor) posted the following on the Duke4.net forums:

I'm also personally tired of Pigcops, Turd Jokes, and a Goofy Duke Nukem.
I would love to see a Duke Nukem game, taken in a completely new direction. A way more serious and "Badass" Duke, with an epic plot. Something that really brings back Duke as an Action Hero.

That reminds me of how tired I am of strippers, babes etc. in Duke Nukem games, which only degrades Duke's intelligence even more (there is nothing wrong with Duke Liking strippers and babes, but it shouldn't be the main plot of a game). Give us a Duke game without strippers, a great sinister villain than can break Duke (Think Bane from DK:Rising), a slightly older, and way more badass/gritty Duke, and a galactic plotline that can be taken seriously, and I'm Sold!

A little history:

Interceptor Entertainment was formed by a group of fans in 2010 with the goal of creating a Duke Nukem 3D reimagining for modern audiences. The game was going to be built with UDK and it would be released for free on PC. Gearbox Software gave them the green light, as long as they would control all aspects of its marketing, release date and so on.

In late 2011 Interceptor announced the game was put on indefinite hold, initially hinted and later confirmed because Gearbox saw how much better it looked and player than Duke Nukem Forever that they couldn't possibly allow for it to be released.

Since then Interceptor have become professional video game developers with an interesting twist: they work from their home, keeping intact the "fans making games" spirit. They have ported/published a bunch of old Apogee and Duke Nukem titles on iOS and Steam and most notably in 2013 they made their first game from scratch, a reimagining of 1995's "Rise of the Triad".

Now it seems they are about to return to the Duke Nukem property, but it's likely going to be an all new commercial game, instead of a free reimagining of DN3D. Also it remains to be seen if Gearbox will (have to) be involved this time or not.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wasn't totally crazy about the Rise of the Triad remake, but this is happy news. Go full stupid, embrace the Duke, keep it fast and dumb, and I'll be there.

I get the impression that this will ride on the coattails of the humor, nostaligia, and references that are now about 20 years old.

And NOT on the actually good gameplay present in Duke 3d.

That image above kinda reinforces my apprehension.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If he's not out of bubble gum yet, maybe it's a prequel?

Unless the bubble gums represent the countdown.

Santar

Not sure if I like the sound of what they're going for if that dev quote is about this game.
It just sounds like a run of the mill "serious" epic badass fps. It basically reads like COD like.

Don't loose Duke's funny 90's action movie personality, that's part of what makes him great.
If they keep that and make the game more in the vein of duke 3d with open non scripted levels I'd be excited for this.

interested, they proved to be talented with rise of the triad. hope to see the return of duke nukem (not only the character, but the gameplay and level design) in this new game!

This is one series that I'd be happy to never see again. People want to complain that technical details like 30/60 fps is preventing games from growing up, or games like Senran Kagura are harming the industry, and along comes Duke. I know it didn't start off as a lame Doom clone, but that's basically what it has become. It only survived due to its incredibly immature sense of humor which managed to find a healthy audience amongst the basement dwellers.

Kiru

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum."

I hope for good humour.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This is one series that I'd be happy to never see again. People want to complain that technical details like 30/60 fps is preventing games from growing up, or games like Senran Kagura are harming the industry, and along comes Duke. I know it didn't start off as a lame Doom clone, but that's basically what it has become. It only survived due to its incredibly immature sense of humor which managed to find a healthy audience amongst the basement dwellers.

Or people just like different things than you. Fuckin shocker.

I'd be down for a new Duke game if the writers figured out that DNF turned Duke into what he was originally a parody of.

Moff

not sure why anyone would want a more mature duke nukem witthout pigcops and strippers.

vivftp

Always a fan of Duke so I'll be glad to see what they've come up with. I wonder what platforms it'll be released on.

I really enjoyed that last duke nukem game i played

Blood-Dragon-Jeep.jpg

hahaha nice. loved this too!

I was a huge fan of Duke Nukem 3D years ago, tried Forever and just couldn't get into it. But now that it's out and we're past it, I'm all for a fresh take on the IP. I am ready to be impressed!

tsumineko

I'm also personally tired of Pigcops, Turd Jokes, and a Goofy Duke Nukem.
I would love to see a Duke Nukem game, taken in a completely new direction. A way more serious and "Badass" Duke, with an epic plot. Something that really brings back Duke as an Action Hero.

That reminds me of how tired I am of strippers, babes etc. in Duke Nukem games, which only degrades Duke's intelligence even more (there is nothing wrong with Duke Liking strippers and babes, but it shouldn't be the main plot of a game). Give us a Duke game without strippers, a great sinister villain than can break Duke (Think Bane from DK:Rising), a slightly older, and way more badass/gritty Duke, and a galactic plotline that can be taken seriously, and I'm Sold!

Wow, that sounds horrible. Pretty sure I've played this game 100's of times.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Are we sure this is real?

Yes this was talked about way before word of Rise Of The Triad came about etc. I'm just wondering what this game will be. Is it going to be their Duke Nukem Reloaded finished off and polished up or are they starting again from scratch ? I don't think they would want to start from scratch again so I'm thinking it'll be Reloaded in some shape.

If cash is charged for it then Gearbox obviously have to be involved as they now own the IP. Under the terms Interceptor had for Reloaded it was supposed to be released for free. There was that drama about Gearbox supposedly preventing them from releasing it but Gearbox changed their tune a long time after DNF had come out and said they could release it.

So it comes down this - Is it Reloaded finished off and released for free, are they working with Gearbox to polish Reloaded up a lot more and release it for a price or are they starting from scratch again. I just don't see the third option as being very likely.

I hope they are getting some help at least for QA. I really enjoyed Rise Of The Triad and the team showed their dedication to fixing it up eventually but they worked themselves to the bone and obviously had limited manpower.

PnCIa

It cant be worse than Forever. Therefore i am interested...but still gameplay is king and i highly doubt they will do something that resembles mid-90 semi-sandbox levels.
Ohhh a man can dream.
Btw, i want someone to finally sort out the whole Blood-IP fiasco and release an updated version with texture filtering :/

Ban Puncher

I want them to go there other way and lean totally into Duke being an out-dated, macho asshole relic who thinks he really is awesome but everyone else hates but begrudgingly puts up with his bullshit because he is willing to fight stupid menaces like flying screaming penises and sentient anthropomorphic big butts that poop decade old pop culture references.

PaulloDEC

Yeah, but when people think Duke, they think Duke 3D, not a sidescrolling shooter.

Their loss, frankly. Duke was a fun action-hero long before the strippers and the pigcops that people have now decided are critical, immovable features of the franchise.

Tacitus_

I think it's very possible to make a good Duke game that doesn't feature strippers.

Their loss, frankly. Duke was a fun action-hero long before the strippers and the pigcops that people have now decided are critical, immovable features of the franchise.

True enough. But even then he was a fun action hero, not a "gritty character with a plot that can be taken seriously". I mean, Duke 2 starts with him getting kidnapped while he's giving an interview about his book "Why I am so great".

Was a huge Duke fan in they day. DNF left such a terrible taste in my mouth I couldn't care about this. They should have cancelled DNF and started over with this game.

I think it's very possible to make a good Duke game that doesn't feature strippers.

No. It needs strippers. Shake it baby. Just not tied up screaming for help like DNF.

Sneds

I want them to go there other way and lean totally into Duke being an out-dated, macho asshole relic who thinks he really is awesome but everyone else hates but begrudgingly puts up with his bullshit because he is willing to fight stupid menaces like flying screaming penises and sentient anthropomorphic big butts that poop decade old pop culture references.

I agree that going down this route could be interesting. As it stands, the problem with the Duke character is that it's a parody of 80s/90s pop-culture which isn't all that relevant today.

I'm not sure long-time fans of the series would be too happy with your 'relic' Duke though.

Sneds

True enough. But even then he was a fun action hero, not a "gritty character with a plot that can be taken seriously". I mean, Duke 2 starts with him getting kidnapped while he's giving an interview about his book "Why I am so great".

I agree with that. A "gritty" Duke would be completely uninteresting.

I agree with that. A "gritty" Duke would be completely uninteresting.

This will probably predictably be a "dark and gritty" reboot. DNF was a "dark and gritty" reboot circa 2002. If they do it right, it should be a fun and stupid Duke but they won't. Kids like that "dark and gritty" bullshit.

Top Bottom