• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Duke Nukem game by Interceptor Entertainment to be revealed in 25 days

I think I'd like to see Duke Nukem as the game's antagonist. Give the player a chance to wipe out the old Duke, and thus the dated references. Pop culture has changed, and a lot of the things Duke was known for are almost frowned upon now. Use that to make him the bad guy and establish a new badass.

PaulloDEC

True enough. But even then he was a fun action hero, not a "gritty character with a plot that can be taken seriously". I mean, Duke 2 starts with him getting kidnapped while he's giving an interview about his book "Why I am so great".

I agree with that. A "gritty" Duke would be completely uninteresting.

I don't disagree.

I'd say ideally a "grittier" Duke should be more akin to John McClane than your generic space commando; a tough-guy quick with a wisecrack, rather than the generally disinterested, disconnected line-spewing weirdo we played as in Duke Nukem Forever. Die Hard was frequently funny, but that didn't mean the plot "couldn't be taken seriously".

It wouldn't make sense to "gritty" the character up to the point where he wasn't funny or absurd anymore - at that point he'd cease to be Duke. I hope Interceptor see it that way too.

takoyaki

I don't really want a new Duke game, but the story behind the developer somehow makes this a lot more intriguing to me.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i dont think this franchise is or could be relevant. its a 90's action parody and is based on nostalgia for the classic games. how many sales do they expect even if this new game is decent?

Ithil

Why don't you just update the humour instead of having to make some kind of meta-game about Duke being outdated?

iMax

i dont think this franchise is or could be relevant. its a 90's action parody and is based on nostalgia for the classic games. how many sales do they expect even if this new game is decent?

If any franchise is screaming for a reboot, it's Duke. This sounds promising.

I would love to see a Duke Nukem game, taken in a completely new direction. A way more serious and "Badass" Duke, with an epic plot. Something that really brings back Duke as an Action Hero.

wow, this is exactly what they shouldn't do.

2014 duke should be a pathetic character that everyone in the game hates.

wwm0nkey

Doesn't one of the Dev team members post here and HEAVILY hinted this was happening in the Rise of the Triad thread when the winter sale was going on? I seriously remember something like that happening in that thread.

Edit: I was right!

Sneds

Doesn't one of the Dev team members post here and HEAVILY hinted this was happening in the Rise of the Triad thread when the winter sale was going on? I seriously remember something like that happening in that thread.

There was also a photo of their office with Duke concept art in the background.

PaulloDEC

wow, this is exactly what they shouldn't do.

2014 duke should be a pathetic character that everyone in the game hates.

The best thing anyone working on a new Duke game can do is the same thing the rest of us have been doing since Duke Nukem Forever came out: pretending that Duke Nukem Forever never came out.

You can try to be clever-clever by commenting on how crappy and unpopular Duke has become, but all that does is remind people how crappy and unpopular Duke has become.

Better to skip over all that crap and instead try to show people why they should like Duke again. The best way to do that is to just make a great Duke Nukem game.

Sneds

I guess the question is: can you make Duke an interesting or funny character without being ironic or self-deprecating?

When the character is so steeped in the "90s" I'm not sure you can.

drproton

It doesn't sound as strange as some in this thread would make it out to be.

More of a return to form to pre-3D Duke than anything else.

I don't like the sound of it, if anything, with all the super serious and gritty FPS flooding the market these days, a more light hearted FPS would be more than welcome.

Eh, just let the Duke die. Or make it some kind of crazy meta mind-fuck where the game is trying to figure out how to revive the Duke brand. That could be interesting.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
there is nothing wrong with Duke Liking strippers and babes, but it shouldn't be the main plot of a game

I like this. Sounds like they understood why Duke Nukem Forever blew outside of the gameplay department.

Not sure if want. While it's true that the original Duke Nukem games didn't have any strippers and pigcops, they were hardly gritty, or built around epic stories you could take seriously. I'll need to see more.

Sneds

I hope it'll be good as Shadow Warrior 2013, the best example of how a classic FPS reboot should be

I know that SW was generally well-received but didn't it switch the series to largely linear level design?

I'd be disappointed if a new Duke game didn't try to replicate the level design of Duke 3D.

pa22word

Rise of the triad, while having its own issues mostly due to UE3, was a good faith remake that I think served as a good enough learning experience whereas I can see a Duke game from them being pretty good with the proper supervision.

Bring it on, I say.

Even more proof the bombcast is overrated schlock.

Why don't you just update the humour instead of having to make some kind of meta-game about Duke being outdated?

becuz den dey wudnt be so witteh and funneh lel girstman an bombcasts lelz!

More South Park, and Bulletstorm style, less bathroom humor and "babes"

I'd also welcome a new voice actor - John St John is awesome but I'd like to see a new take on it.

I didn't even think Duke Nukem Forever was the worst thing ever. Not good, but tolerable.

spanks

They can do whatever they like with the story, as long as the Duke3D gameplay and level design is there. DNF was so non-interactive and linear that it had more in common with Call of Duty than Duke.

Tacitus_

I know that SW was generally well-received but didn't it switch the series to largely linear level design?

I'd be disappointed if a new Duke game didn't try to replicate the level design of Duke 3D.

Yeah the level design wasn't anything special and doesn't compare to the original at all, but the gameplay was so fucking good in that game I didn't really mind.

Kuroyume

Banned
I think I'd like to see Duke Nukem as the game's antagonist. Give the player a chance to wipe out the old Duke, and thus the dated references. Pop culture has changed, and a lot of the things Duke was known for are almost frowned upon now. Use that to make him the bad guy and establish a new badass.

I don't disagree.

I'd say ideally a "grittier" Duke should be more akin to John McClane than your generic space commando; a tough-guy quick with a wisecrack, rather than the generally disinterested, disconnected line-spewing weirdo we played as in Duke Nukem Forever. Die Hard was frequently funny, but that didn't mean the plot "couldn't be taken seriously".

It wouldn't make sense to "gritty" the character up to the point where he wasn't funny or absurd anymore - at that point he'd cease to be Duke. I hope Interceptor see it that way too.

So make a Duke Nukem game that's not Duke Nukem? Okay...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Duke is so embarrassingly lame at this point, I shudder to think of another game trying to take itself seriously.

They'd have to shift gears where Duke still does his stupid one liners, but now everyone around him just shakes their head, while in his mind he's still a mega cool star.

I'm torn... I'm okay with a more mature "gritty" Duke... but I don't think you can just rewrite his entire character and the gameplay that made his games what they were...

I don't think you have to go with either extreme... Make him grittier and more mature for say 80% of the game, but have some really good call backs/stupidity in that other 20%.

Adam Blue

RotT was effin' great. Captured the true spirit, and I'm sure they did it on a low enough budget for it to be just that without having to worry about mass appeal. If that's what's going on with Duke Nukem, I'm all in.

SandTorso

The Rise of the Triad remake would have been outstanding if it didn't run like shit. Even after all of their optimization passes it was incredibly CPU-bound. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

scitek

I was hoping Flying Wild Hog would get a crack at the license, but these guys have the right attitude, too. I didn't play a whole lot of RotT, but I bought it to support them, and I wish them well.

Top Bottom