• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's superannuation: Far Cry 4 is like Far Cry 3, but in the Himalayas + monsters

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We should assume this is the glorious return of the much beloved Trigens.

farcry4r2ik9.png

Source: https://twitter.com/supererogatory/status/430934112770486272

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So unbelievably fucking tired of tropical jungle island paradises that a switch to the Himalayas or any other rare video game setting is more than welcome.

Playing like Far Cry 3, however, is not.

Derrick01

Banned
It's not surprising in the least that it will be like FC3 (aka Assassin's Creed tropical paradise) but I still actually cringed when I read it. Bring back Clint Hocking!

They should do Africa redux

2 may have been a bit of a mess with some of it's ideas but damn that setting was real refreshing

Darklord

Banned
Vass returns and recruits a small town in the Himalayas as his army to find the hideout of the Yeti and his hidden mountain of gold. You must stop him.

Dascu

The setting could be really, really cool. Maybe they're even bold enough to put in some Lovecraftian elements (Leng Plateau DLC).

SJRB

Gold Member
The setting is exactly what I was hoping for [snow/mountains], but monsters is a huge NO.

It's not surprising in the least that it will be like FC3 (aka Assassin's Creed tropical paradise) but I still actually cringed when I read it. Bring back Clint Hocking!

I too was shocked to learn that the sequel to Far Cry 3, a both critically and financially hugely succesful game will be in similar style to its previous game.

Weren't they considering an arctic setting for Far Cry 3 at one point? Makes sense that they'd eventually try for a snowy climate.

Can't wait to have unlocked everything within the first third of the game and finding myself bored to tears in the last half of Far Cry 4.

It seems like they swung too hard into making the game more accessible after Far Cry 2. Make it more like Far Cry 2, por favor.

Jb

I could see how a mountainous setting would perfectly mesh with Far Cry 3's design.
I sort of hoped they'd give Africa another shot though, it's such an under utilized setting in games and it would look gorgeous on next gen systems.

OneUh8

I'll take any new location honestly. Would like to see more variety in locations and environment this new gen.

DedValve

Banned
3 was good although it really lacked dinosaurs on the island. A slightly more survivalish FC3 on an open world island with dinos would be a dream cum true.

I'll take Himalayas and monsters though, FC3 had excellent gun and stealth gameplay. I just want the option to turn of the HUD Ubisoft. Jesus.

Sheroking

I'm not going to apologize for loving 3, so I'm looking forward to this.

That said, I'm kinda getting sick of snow levels to the same degree that I'm getting sick of jungle islands.

Cheddahz

Banned
If it plays like Far Cry 3, then I'm out. The first hour of the game was fun, but then you realize that you're doing the same thing over and over again and I grew bored quickly

I really hope this won't be a cross-gen title. Snow could look so great if this was for the new consoles only. But since it's releasing this year, there is no way it won't be cross-gen.

RulkezX

Given how popular 3 was , it's hardly a surprise they're reusing the formula.

Setting sounds like it could be fun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I guess maybe the success of Blood Dragon sent the message that the franchise/formula could work with less rigid, 'realistic' aesthetics and themes and they can get away with branching out into more fantasy/scifi fictional concepts. Assuming its true.

Megasoum

Banned
Far cry 3 was my 2012 GOTY and one of the rare game I 100% (150% actually since I started a second playthrough after that) so I'm happy if the gameplay is similar. Don't mind the setting but I don't want the shitty monsters from FC1 to come back.

kick51

Banned
I guess maybe the success of Blood Dragon sent the message that the franchise/formula could work with less rigid, 'realistic' aesthetics and themes and they can get away with branching out into more fantasy/scifi fictional concepts. Assuming its true.

I'm down with this

I would play more FPS if they were weird instead of srsbsns. Blood Dragon was one of maybe two FPS I bought last year and it was the only one that got played.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

At one point they were thinking about making a full fledged sequel to Blood Dragon, but the person who would have been on that is on something else now, so I wonder if they were like "Well we can incorporate what went well there into the core series." instead.

Similarly they said they were considering sea monsters for AC4 and decided against it at the time, but that they were shows they're somewhat open minded here.

El-Suave

The setting is pretty interesting to me. As long as the monsters are limited to a Yeti here and there, I'm fine with that, too.

_hekk05

Banned
At one point they were thinking about making a full fledged sequel to Blood Dragon, but the person who would have been on that is on something else now, so I wonder if they were like "Well we can incorporate what went well there into the core series." instead.

Similarly they said they were considering sea monsters for AC4 and decided against it at the time, but that they were shows they're somewhat open minded here.

AC4 sea monsters dlc. Sail the seas in a hunt for mermaids, and sea serpents, but beware the kraken!!

joeposh

Wait, when did we start hating how 3 played? I freaking love that game.

This is rather bewildering to me as well. Far Cry 3 was the first game I felt compelled to binge play to completion in ages. I get that some folks didn't dig the story, but I can't see how you can take serious issue with the game play.

EatChildren

That's what I mean. Far Cry isn't quite on the annual release schedule yet (even if it heads that way) so there would be incentive at Ubisoft to keep some kind of consistency and cohesion between the releases, especially given the popularity of Far Cry 3, and introducing drastic changes can fuck with the IP's marketability.

But Blood Dragon was a success and even though Far Cry 3 was as well they might feel growing the mainline release with more Blood Dragon-like content will help diversify the core formula in a market still pretty saturated with semi-grounded/realistic shooters.

That being said, if this is true I expect more Far Cry 3: With Monsters in aesthetics and themes, and less Blood Dragon: This is Dumb but Amazing.

This is rather bewildering to me as well. Far Cry 3 was the first game I felt compelled to binge play to completion in ages. I get that some folks didn't dig the story, but I can't see how you can take serious issue with the game play.

Stuck too strictly to Ubisoft's patented open world game design for me. Where the entire game, all missions and most mechanics/systems, are built around bar filling, fetch questing, and compartmentalising objectives into strict zones/requirements. Like there was no cohesion or pacing of the overall game design and instead it was an open world filled with stuff; kill the things to fill the bar to get the points, visit the location and press the button to get the tick, find the bits and bobs to make the thing then do it again to make the slightly bigger thing, repeat forever until end game. Very formulaic, repetitive, and for the lack of a more intellectual word: soulless. The simple act of shooting felt pretty great, and the audio was top shit. But it was ten minutes of good shooting stretched out over a long boring game.

Plus I thought the jungle was hideously uninteresting (personal gripe), and the bow sucked balls.

Leks

No boring radio towers, repetitive outposts and awful hunting please. Please. I don't care about the monsters if it is executed well.

Top Bottom