• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Console with Graphics that Burn Brightest Die Off Soonest?

I am debating whether to purchase a PS4 or an XboxOne.

The technical aspects of sony's wonder box do seem to trump what the xbox offers. But the incredible reports of a massive graphical advantage sony has give me pause. In this day and age one machine that produces a visual experience that is so superior to its competitor surely must be working overtime under the hood. Now I will admit that I'm not a nuts and bolts or numbers sort of gamer but durability is a big factor in any purchase. The ps4 is smaller and yet so much more is clearly occurring inside of it. The wear and tear on any components would theoretically be more of a concern right? Similar to how halogen bulbs tend to burn out quicker. Obviously it's too soon to tell if this will become an issue but I am still pondering.

In the x bone we see more tried and true working man's graphics. They may not always be as pretty to look at but if it means a more long term life span is that not preferable? I have made poor purchases in the past when it comes to electronics. The minidisc player I bought never became popular. The atari jaguar i spent 300 dollars on only had a few decent games. The sega game gear was decent but not memorable. I just wonder if the ps4 by virtue of being a "buzz worthy" system can fall into the same pitfall of a console that excels at the moment but is consumed by its own dazzling light. Sometimes when something or someone emerges in society that is so far ahead of its time they fade out our explode all too soon. Like MLK, JFK, or Mozart. To put it in electoinic terms that relate to videogaming, these men were all fuses who burned so brightly and intensely that their filaments snapped suddenly. Circuitry in any machine operates in a similar manner. If we all agree that a dependable purchase that delivers entertainment for a solid 10 years is preferable then I think the xboxone is the safer bet. I still have my G1 xbox 360. Never broke on me once. Noisy as hell sometimes but the goddamm workhorse delivers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Both consoles are using very low power consumption components with a lot of ventilation. It's more than adequate. My PS4's fans only even pick up after long Killzone sessions and it's barely ever gotten more than warm to the touch. My PS3 Slim is much louder and hotter.

I-hate-u

Dude, this is not DBZ Kaio-kenX4 Goku vs Vegeta. Obviously the caliber of developers affects the performance of games, but, going with the facts, PS4 is the superior machine tech-wise. Its different from the Jaguar days.

Biker19

Banned
Huh? Consoles aren't gaming handhelds, smartphones, or tablets in which they're very dependent on battery life.

MilkBeard

My PS4 seems to roughly get about the same warmth that my PS3 Slim does (second gen PS3) after gaming for a few hours. The air is pretty hot that comes out, but the fan does a good job pumping it out. And my fan doesn't ever usually get that loud. I've heard of some people having the fan turn on super loud but I've not noticed mine do that yet.

It's not like the ps4 is just using XBO components overclocked. If that were the case, the power disparity would be easy for Microsoft to negate.

The ps4's hardware isn't being pushed any harder than the Xbox One's. It's just better than the Xbox One's.

Iorv3th

If we all agree that a dependable purchase that delivers entertainment for a solid 10 years is preferable then I think the xboxone is the safer bet. I still have my G1 xbox 360. Never broke on me once. Noisy as hell sometimes but the goddamm workhorse delivers.

And mine had to be replaced 4 times. My 80GB PS3 has never had any problems. It doesn't matter though because there are several people that had faulty PS3's as well. You aren't going to pick one and have it not break because of the choice you made. Things break sometimes and you can get them fixed, you may not ever have it break though. There are already defective xbox ones and defective PS4's. So no, neither is 'safe'. But they have a warranty.

They are both well ventilated machines.

My PS4 seems to roughly get about the same warmth that my PS3 Slim does (second gen PS3) after gaming for a few hours. The air is pretty hot that comes out, but the fan does a good job pumping it out. And my fan doesn't ever usually get that loud. I've heard of some people having the fan turn on super loud but I've not noticed mine do that yet.

If the fan runs constantly doesn't that mean that a higher volume of air particles are being drawn into the machine which could cause it to fail or become clogged due to airborne items like dust?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am not even sure that the PS4 runs hotter. The XBO has a bigger chip and higher clock speeds. The cooling solutions are just differently designed, but don't really operate with different limits of thermal stress. The PS4 has a faster rotating centrifugal fan with a sealed pathway for the airflow, while the XBO has a bigger, slower rotating propeller fan.

In any case, both consoles should be way more reliable than PS360. The first thing to break might be the hard-drive, not anything that's related to thermals.

"Working man's graphics" huh. Sounds like it belongs in that illustrious row of marketing terms with "balance" and "secret sauce". But either way, I would put Sony's electronics quite a bit above MS' going by the 360 failure rate. Though to be fair, they solved most of that by the time the Elite consoles were introduced.

Kind of poor analogies aside, both systems should work out for plenty of years. The Xbox One has a massive heatsink\fan assembly to keep everything cool, and the PS4 is more than adequately vented. Also, keep in mind the CPU cores they used are based on AMD's Jaguar core, which is used in Laptops--a setup that requires low heat output.

The main difference is that Microsoft opted for required Kinect and also has a new variation of eDRAM which drove up the cost of the system. Sony decided to go for a brute force approach and upped the GCN core count on its GPU. In the long run, a higher number of GCN Cores (it's something like 33% more) will yield noticabley better performance in a level playing field, but Microsoft also requires 2-3 different operating systems to run concurrently on the Xbox One, and Sony requires only 1, plus parts of the Xbox's hardware is dedicated to the omnipresent Kinect (they have since announced plans for a patch to free up those resources).

My recommendation for a console is the same as it always was; get the one that your friends have and/or the one that has exclusives you are invested in. Want Titanfall and don't have an adequate gaming PC? Go Xbox One. Want Halo and Forza? Go Xbox One. Want Killzone and Drive Club? PS4 it is. But if there are a ton of multiplatforms that interest you, I imagine they will run smoother and look better on the PS4.

I have to give Sony credit, they must have really put together an impressive consensus around their piece of machinery if the best the internet has to offer in criticism, going by GAF's front page, is "I'm suspicious about how few bad things I hear about it" and "I'm worried that it's just overworking itself being so awesome."

Tomorrow on GAF: "I don't want to buy a PS4 because I'm worried there will be too many games for it and I won't be able to choose."

In the x bone we see more tried and true working man's graphics.
Gary-Coleman-wtf.gif

Ishan

launch units will have reliability issues yes .. but no in general this is a non issue. ps4 is stronger cause of good engineering decisions (and some luck with ddr5) coupled with ms's approach to kinect and ensuring 8 gb ram early on. I thought this thread would be some discussion on gameplay vs graphics and gameplay being timeless .... nope dont worry ps4 will be fine.

Lunar15

Are you from the past? I mean, I'm not trying to offend, but even the way you write sounds like it's from another era.

To answer your question more specifically, we really don't have data on the reliability of either system. It's far too early to tell which one is going to have more burnouts. Really though, all of your decisions should come down to which games you want, not which system is more reliable. If you're really worried, just build your own PC.

Orayn

The short answer is no.

The long answer is that neither of the new consoles generates as much heat as their predecessor, so they should have much lower failure rates over time.

If the fan runs constantly doesn't that mean that a higher volume of air particles are being drawn into the machine which could cause it to fail or become clogged due to airborne items like dust?

The Xbox One's fan is also running constantly, it's just quieter because it has a larger diameter, lower RPM, and resides in a bigger, thicker box, which just means it has different kinds of dust problems.

Are you from the past? I mean, I'm not trying to offend, but even the way you write sounds like it's from another era.

To answer your question more specifically, we really don't have data on the reliability of either system. It's far too early to tell which one is going to have more burnouts. Really though, all of your decisions should come down to which games you want, not which system is more reliable. If you're really worried, just build your own PC.

Its my writing style. I find that analogies help to drive home a point. Or a concern as the case may be. Yes I've debated building a pc. The imac I use isn't as terrific for games as I'd like.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
PS4 will have more staying power. Multiplatform games THIS YEAR will look and play better on PS4, much less in 2016 and beyond. There's no "dieing off soonest".

I've never bought the whole "console is an investment" nonsense. Your console does not gain value over time. Your PSN account that continually adds more PS+ freebies does not gain value over time. There is no benefit to being an early adopter unless you like a limited game library and missing features. It's simple, really: buy a videogame console when it has a videogame or five you would like to play.

launch units will have reliability issues yes .. but no in general this is a non issue. ps4 is stronger cause of good engineering decisions (and some luck with ddr5) coupled with ms's approach to kinect and ensuring 8 gb ram early on. I thought this thread would be some discussion on gameplay vs graphics and gameplay being timeless .... nope dont worry ps4 will be fine.

PS4: GDDR5
Xbox One: DDR3

The main benefit to GDDR5 rather than DDR3 is that GDDR5 has way more bandwidth. The trade off is that it also has way more delay (several times more depending on the brand/manufacturer). Honestly, the performance difference is almost nonexistant, the bigger issue is PS4 has more of its RAM reserved for Games.

Metfanant

The main benefit to GDDR5 rather than DDR3 is that GDDR5 has way more bandwidth. The trade off is that it also has way more delay (several times more depending on the brand/manufacturer). Honestly, the performance difference is almost nonexistant, the bigger issue is PS4 has more of its RAM reserved for Games.

Britney%20Spears%20that%20is%20false.gif

jayu26

No no no no no. Not this again!

SeanR1221

Working mans graphics?

Is that supposed to mean if the systems were people the Xbox one would come home to a crappy house wearing his shirt and tie, hating life. Meanwhile the PS4 rolls in his mansion with a model on either side but is doing heavy drugs so he'll die early? Is that what you meant?

Most ironic OP username ever.

Dude, this is not DBZ Kaio-kenX4 Goku vs Vegeta. Obviously the caliber of developers affects the performance of games, but, going with the facts, PS4 is the superior machine tech-wise. Its different from the Jaguar days.

Epic.

Da fuck you talking bout willis.

nib95

Banned

Penello, is that you?

This is not true. GDDR5 is considerably better for gaming performance than DDR3. The latency differences are offset by the raw bandwidth advantages. Add to that, the PS4 actually reserves (according to vetted insiders) 1GB of ram less than the Xbox One does, so if anything it has more ram availability, and much higher bandwidth ram at that. Which in turn means more of it is accessible per frame.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

The performance difference is actually pretty big when you factor in the limitations of the XBO's ESRAM setup; that has been discussed here to death. The latency you are mentioning is not an inherent property of GDDR5 but related to the memory controller configuration in graphics cards; so this issue is non-existent. Furthermore, the reservation of memory for the OS has been challenged by developers on GAF, so we can assume that it has been reduced.

Look if we can discuss this matter without regressing to the point of employing brittney Spears gifs that's obviously preferable. So if the ps4 uses everything it has now undee it's hood and more often and with more intensity isn't that still a cause for concern? It sounds like meanwhile the xboxone still has untapped resources in reserve.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Joe the Plumber's graphics.

The graphics of main street, not wall street.

Graphics you and your family can actually relate to.

Metfanant

Look if we can discuss this matter without regressing to the point of employing brittney Spears gifs that's obviously preferable. So if the ps4 uses everything it has now undee it's hood and more often and with more intensity isn't that still a cause for concern? It sounds like meanwhile the xboxone still has untapped resources in reserve.

where are you getting the information that even begins to bring you to some of these conclusions??

post-9439-Fry-NOT-SURE-gif-meme-Imgur-uanb.gif

Joe the Plumber's graphics.

The graphics of main street, not wall street.

Graphics you and your family can actually relate to.

You ask me, all these colors kids are banging on about are for ladies. Proper men-folk don't know 'muave' from a cow's behind, if it ain't in an 8-box of crayola I sure as heck don't need it on my television.

Orayn

No. The PS4 having better performance shouldn't affect its reliability as long as everything is properly cooled.

Top Bottom