• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchford: Gearbox "overspent" on Homeworld HD

Demigod Mac

Homeworld.JPG

Via GameZone

"So we invested a lot to remaster the original Homeworld and Homeworld 2. We'll be releasing them on digital platforms in fully remastered — not just ported to work, but fully remastered.

If you have a new crazy-ass Nvidia 780TI or an Nvidia Titan and you happen to have one of those $3,000 4K monitors, you're going to see an unbelievable image," Pitchford said.

"We went nuts in the high-definition treatment on this," he added. "It's really UHD, not just HD. That's too low. We got with the original audio guys and remastered all the audio. It's really impressive."

Still no release date, but note that September 28, 2014 will be Homeworld's 15th Anniversary...

Please let this mean more than better textures. Honestly new textures are cool and all, but if it doesn't have an entirely new engine (including stability and modernization of UI upgrades) then these comments don't mean much to me. My brother is a huge fan of Homeworld, and if they actually went to the effort to make a complete graphical overhaul I might jump in too. Lots of particle effects.

When I first read the title I was expecting that Gearbox had spent too much money for a project that wasn't going anywhere and canceled all their Homeworld plans.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Gearbox really loves to go all-out with other people's art.

epmode

Cataclysm as well pls. I haven't played that one yet. (I bought a copy recently, though)

I thought they were going to re-release the originals as well or did they scrap that idea?

The release of the original versions is still happening, as far as I know.

Mr Swine

Banned
Please let this mean more than better textures. Honestly new textures are cool and all, but if it doesn't have an entirely new engine (including stability and modernization of UI upgrades) then these comments don't mean much to me. My brother is a huge fan of Homeworld, and if they actually went to the effort to make a complete graphical overhaul I might jump in too. Lots of particle effects.

When I first read the title I was expecting that Gearbox had spent too much money for a project that wasn't going anywhere and canceled all their Homeworld plans.

Can the engine that was made in 1998 support better textures and 4k resolution without breaking something?

eroots

This is so great to hear. Love the Homeworld games. I hope this pays off for them, so they can make more Homeworld.

epmode

That's the attitude you should have for any product really.

And anything Pitchford hypes in particular. PR guys are liberal with the truth in general but Pitchford has made an art form out of lying to the press.

(I liked Borderlands 2. Don't kill me)

Waaghals

You can say what you want about gearbox but they did completely rework Halo 1 PC in order to support modding. I 'm pretty sure they paid for that out of their own pocket. Gave away the updated Custom Edition for free.

Axial

I love Homeworld, still have my old boxed PC copy(Cataclysm too) and would love to play a remastered edition with improved graphics, but at the same time it's hard to believe anything that comes out of this guys mouth. Hope this doesn't end up to be another hatchet job to make a quick buck to finance their next project.

vazel

Banned
I can't wait to see the results for myself. From what I remember the backgrounds in Homeworld 2 had color banding so that's one area I want to see improvements in.

HYPPPEEEEEEE.

Freakin loved Homeworld 1 and 2. I will buy the shit out of this if it ends up being fully remastered.

This and Star Citizen bring me joy

Not getting excited over anything pitchfork says. Hope it turns out to be decent port at least. I wouldn't mind if they changed the infinite resources the ai would abuse in homeworld 2.

"If you have a new crazy-ass Nvidia 780TI or an Nvidia Titan and you happen to have one of those $3,000 4K monitors, you're going to see an unbelievable image."

You're going to get a unbelievable image with any modern game with that setup.

Top Bottom