• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchford: Gearbox "overspent" on Homeworld HD

Bombless

They better brought Paul Ruskay back for this. Homeworld is what it is in no small part thanks to his soundtrack. I will buy the remasters for his music alone (did the same with Strike Suit Zero).

Will definitely wait for reviews of it though, Aliens taught me good.

not just ported to work, but fully remastered.

dpdbxwxi1shw.jpg

Well Randy cared about Colonial Marines and that turned out great. Oh wait...

He also cared about Duke Nukem, look how well they finished Duke Nukem Forever. Oh wait...

And they care about Borderlands so much. I mean, look at all that DLC they've released for it! That shows love and care right?

The remaster will involve an identical release to the originals, only the graphics options are locked to high.

All i know is, i played the Homeworld demo countless times and never bought the game.... i always wanted to play it. Looks like i finally will!

Well, consider me in the 'cautiously-optimistic' camp. I'll wait until we actually see game footage and reviews.

Edit: Yeah, it's incredibly difficult to see the difference in that pic, but there certainly seems to be changes to the textures. The model seems to be unchanged, however.

He also cared about Duke Nukem, look how well they finished Duke Nukem Forever. Oh wait...
To be fair, there was little they could do to salvage that game short of yet another do-over, and I think everyone just wanted to see the damn game released already. Nobody could've saved it in those circumstances. 3D Realms was pretty much almost entirely responsible for how Forever turned out.

Colonial Marines, however, was certainly inexcusable.

Stop being so cynical fellas. Pitchford didn't care about Aliens or DNF; those were just cash cows for him. He obviously has a lot of love for the Homeworld franchise so I'm going to be giving him the benefit of the doubt on this.
Not sure if serious.

In that old Game Informer magazine, they were expressing how much love and respect they had for Aliens even saying it was their dream game.

So yeah.

Cronox

Banned
I'm not sure I get what they're doing that the mods for the original games aren't, unless it's a new engine. But if I hear good things I suppose I'll double dip.

Lime

Wasn't Warm Machine one of the guys who worked on the original? Did he have any involvement in the project?

I can't wait to see where this goes regardless, I love the original games.

No, not the original, but Cataclysm. He/she helped with some of the cinematics on Cataclysm (Barking Dogs Studios)

They better brought Paul Ruskay back for this. Homeworld is what it is in no small part thanks to his soundtrack. I will buy the remasters for his music alone (did the same with Strike Suit Zero).

Will definitely wait for reviews of it though, Aliens taught me good.

If you watch the presentation, you'll notice that they got Ruskay to remaster the original sounds and music for the HD releases.

Bombless

If you watch the presentation, you'll notice that they got Ruskay to remaster the original sounds and music for the HD releases.

I just watched it. And they freaking confirmed the release of the music ALBUMS. This is pretty much THE thing I wanted from them. Albums are instant buy.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Totally worth it. Partially. Now I hope they're working on that other Homeworld like game we saw!

Just like they said they weren't working on Borderlands 2 a few months before the announcement, am I right?

Read the article. It sounds like they are waiting for next gen to hit critical mass before moving ahead on the project. The WW2 game though seems like it could be Borderlands-like.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to see proof Randy, I can't take you on your word alone anymore. And hell, I'm not even sure I can take you on footage anymore either...

Dougald

This game is one of those rare cases where I'll be purchasing no matter what

I have been putting off finding an actual DVD drive and reinstalling HW1/2 on my PC since I heard this was coming

drexplora

Pitchford also being a magician is very telling..
He's got a way with words where he says a lot without saying much at all.

BigDug13

Well Randy cared about Colonial Marines and that turned out great. Oh wait...

And they care about Borderlands so much. I mean, look at all that DLC they've released for it! That shows love and care right?

The remaster will involve an identical release to the originals, only the graphics options are locked to high.

You're really, really reaching with the Gearbox hate to try to use Borderlands 2 as an example. The base game is huge and no other company is coming out with 10 hour DLC for $10 each. If you're trying to argue that they've been milking the game with low value DLC, I'd say you're high as a kite. This has been one of the most supported games in this generation with perfectly reasonable and appropriately priced DLC. They're still releasing sweeping patches 1.5 years later. And have added NG++ as well as Master Level difficulty options for endgame players.

They bought this Homeworld IP at auction and gave it back to the original developers of the series while Gearbox plans on publishing the titles to recoup the investment and then some. It was actually one of the better stories to come out of THQ's franchises being auctioned off and only a blind Gearbox hater would say otherwise.

They've fucked up a few games royally, but trying to paint everything they do with that same brush is simply not accurate.

No Love

Banned
Same here, I really loved the "Beast" haunting half of the galaxy and even made the Bentusi shit their pants and try to flee in one mission and then a whole fleet of them comes and tries to kill you

That was incredible. The Beast was scary as fuck. I remember that mission... they tried to flee then they come back later all Beastified. Homeworld series are the best RTS games of all time, bar none.

Top Bottom