• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchford: Gearbox "overspent" on Homeworld HD

Oh Randy. Please please please do not screw this up.

Randy Pitchford said:
One thing is that the original games are great, but it's been a while, and they've never really been released digitally.

The original games are not just 'great', the first Homeworld is in the pantheon of gaming. A beautiful synthesis of gameplay, artistic excellence, sound design, and narrative. And "digitally" is meaningless to me when Homeworld came with one of the most well-designed, elegant game manuals I've seen.

10974357936_97323b9e83_m.jpg

After the Alien Colonial Marines boondoggle I don't understand why anyone would listen to anything this man says and take it at face value.

vazel

Banned
Stop being so cynical fellas. Pitchford didn't care about Aliens or DNF; those were just cash cows for him. He obviously has a lot of love for the Homeworld franchise so I'm going to be giving him the benefit of the doubt on this.

Grief.exe

You don't often see something like this in the games industry. A studio has enough disposable income to acquire and finance a pet project of this magnitude.

Glad to see a PC classic get the treatment it deserves.

The original games are not just 'great', the first Homeworld is in the pantheon of gaming. A beautiful synthesis of gameplay, artistic excellence, sound design, and narrative. And "digitally" is meaningless to me when Homeworld came with one of the most well-designed, elegant game manuals I've seen.

Is it doable if you are not particularly competent in the RTS genre?

epmode

I'll be honest:

While it doesn't require any real twitch RTS skills, Homeworld isn't an easy game. This is compounded by the way your fleet carries over from one mission to the next so it's possible to get stuck unless you keep backup saves at each mission.

That said, it's still worth playing, even for one that isn't very good at the genre. The whole z-axis thing means that standard RTS techniques don't really apply so you're not at an immediate disadvantage.

In related news, Homeworld is one of the most beautiful games ever made. Elegant in design, atmosphere, story, music, etc. Everyone should play it.

Take a look at the intro video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eRddEb-WOA

Arkanius

Not getting excited over anything pitchfork says. Hope it turns out to be decent port at least. I wouldn't mind if they changed the infinite resources the ai would abuse in homeworld 2.

"If you have a new crazy-ass Nvidia 780TI or an Nvidia Titan and you happen to have one of those $3,000 4K monitors, you're going to see an unbelievable image."

You're going to get a unbelievable image with any modern game with that setup.

If the assets aren't good. Throwing more pixels at it won't make it (much) better

What epmode is generally true. It's not a twitch, build as fast as you can game like Starcraft, but it does require you to be on top of things and use your forces effectively. What epmode said about your fleet carrying over from mission to mission is the hardest part. It's unfair in a modern gaming kind of way (heck even back then it was unusual), but it also gives you a greater sense of that Battlestar Galactica "we're hanging on for dear life" feeling as you make your way from jump to jump.

Demigod Mac

It's no cakewalk by any means, but if you can play Starcraft then you can play Homeworld. Intelligent planning and decision making is more important than quick reaction time.

Though the word has lost its meaning after years of abuse, Homeworld is truly an epic gaming experience in every sense.

theRizzle

Forget the graphics. Gimmie dat new audio mix.

The radio chatter from the pilots was always my favorite part of Homeworld.

Lime

I can't wait to rebuy the greatest RTS of all time.

And i'll gift it so many times as to force-feed my friends with these games.

Also, Cataclysm needs to be included!!

Demigod Mac

Thanks for that; I lost my original manual.

The story is so beautifully elegant and skillfully told. They don't make games like this anymore. :(

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Is this only HW1 or does it include HW2 as well in HD? I've wasted most of my reading week playing HW2 with Complex mod, and I wouldn't mind an HD remake.

Lime

Is this only HW1 or does it include HW2 as well in HD? I've wasted most of my reading week playing HW2 with Complex mod, and I wouldn't mind an HD remake.

HW2 is also getting a makeover. The initial price we are talking about is $15 for both classic+HD version of each game, as far as I'm aware.

But if this thing is running over budget, then I could imagine that they want to squeeze the fans out of as much money as possible. Probably expect $30 for each game.

Homeworld is not a difficult or complex RTS (other than initially getting used to the camera), it is not the mechanics that make it a brilliant game.

That manual was something else, loved the consistency in the design of Homeworld from the manual to the menus to the interface. Too bad Homeworld 2 had a shit manual and one had to buy the strategy guide to get any backstory to all the retcons.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
HW2 is also getting a makeover. The initial price we are talking about is $15 for both classic+HD version of each game, as far as I'm aware.

But if this thing is running over budget, then I could imagine that they want to squeeze the fans out of as much money as possible. Probably expect $30 for each game.

Imagine a complex mod running on the revamped engine...Pitchford better not be lying.

The original games still look good imo, especially HW1's models which have a great retro look to them. As long as Gearbox doesn't do a Konami on them I'm cool.

All Relic RTS are noob friendly that includes HW imo. The thing about the HW series is that your ships and resources carry over to the next mission so if you do badly it gets harder just like FTL does.

Cataclysm as well pls. I haven't played that one yet. (I bought a copy recently, though)

I don't think they own the game as only HW1 and 2 only went up on auction, why Cataclysim wasn't sold with them is a mistery.

Mindlog

If it turns out great I would be willing to return the favor.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3684/10974357936_97323b9e83_m.jpg
The manual was fantastic. To be fair there were a lot of fabulous game manuals during that time. Tribes, Diablo, Alpha Centauri....
I don't want to get bummed out about the current state of manuals again.

All Relic RTS are noob friendly that includes HW imo. The thing about the HW series is that your ships and resources carry over to the next mission so if you do badly it gets harder just like FTL does..
Maybe it's just me but i though hw2 was hard as hell. There are few missions where the ai would just spam almost unlimited units at you with it's endless resources easily leaving you crippled for the next mission.

Demigod Mac

Maybe it's just me but i though hw2 was hard as hell. There are few missions where the ai would just spam almost unlimited units at you with it's endless resources easily leaving you crippled for the next mission.

Probably the biggest flaw in the series, sudden scripted events where you have a huge advantage if you know they're coming (in some cases, need to in order to succeed)

It wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews led me to believe, but I did have to do a bit of save & reload creeping throughout the campaign the first time.

Still, a magnificent series that any gamer should play.

The manual was fantastic. To be fair there were a lot of fabulous game manuals during that time. Tribes, Diablo, Alpha Centauri....

Old game manuals were often packed with lore and short stories, reading them was great and really brought those old simple games alive and made them immersive.

I guess Wiki's do much of the same for modern games, but they are often filled with spoliers so they can do more harm than good. Dark Souls 2 is crying out for a real manual

You may be right about HW2, its been a long time since I've played it compared to the other 2 games.

If it turns out great I would be willing to return the favor.

The Alpha Centauri manual is my all time favourite game manual.

Are we content to stew in our collective juices, to turn inward as our planet
runs inexorably out of resources and wait for the Universe (or perhaps our
next-door neighbors) to grow tired of us and wipe us out? Or shall we claim
the planets and stars, distribute our eggs among many baskets, ensure the
long-term survival of our species, and in the process embark on the greatest
adventure of all time?

You do not see that shit in manuals anymore man.

H6rdc0re

Banned

Not only that the backstory in the Homeworld and Homeworld Cataclysm (especially Cataclysm) was incredible for a game. I was very disappointed by the Homeworld 2 manual and general lack of backstory.

That first mission with the Dreadnought in HW2 can be easy to loose, I remember Cataclysm being the hardest of the games. I played the games slow and abused the salvage corvettes, that probably made them less challenging.

I'll be honest:

While it doesn't require any real twitch RTS skills, Homeworld isn't an easy game. This is compounded by the way your fleet carries over from one mission to the next so it's possible to get stuck unless you keep backup saves at each mission.

That said, it's still worth playing, even for one that isn't very good at the genre. The whole z-axis thing means that standard RTS techniques don't really apply so you're not at an immediate disadvantage.

In related news, Homeworld is one of the most beautiful games ever made. Elegant in design, atmosphere, story, music, etc. Everyone should play it.

Take a look at the intro video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eRddEb-WOA

My favorite aspect there, the way your bad decisions in combat carry over to the next mission. It really makes you go back and replay the game again, over and over, trying to build a fleet to perfection.

Love that. Love that Homeworld is getting a remaster!

Armaros

That first mission with the Dreadnought in HW2 can be easy to loose, I remember Cataclysm being the hardest of the games. I played the games slow and abused the salvage corvettes, that probably made them less challenging.

The campaign scaled with what you have in HW2. If you entered a mission with two battlecruisers, the enemies would themselves have multiple battlecruisers, lots of destroyers and a massive frigate fleet. And you were stuck with ship number limits.

It's why they gave you the dreadnaught, since it one shotted most ships. Funny enough the last mission was really easy if you had enough strik craft to stop the missiles.

Sajuuk was OP ;p

The campaign scaled with what you have in HW2. If you entered a mission with two battlecruisers, the enemies would themselves have multiple battlecruisers, lots of destroyers and a massive frigate fleet. And you were stuck with ship number limits.

It's why they gave you the dreadnaught, since it one shotted most ships. Funny enough the last mission was really easy if you had enough strik craft to stop the missiles.

Sajuuk was OP ;p

Did not know that or forgot, I remember salvaging frigates and spending/hoarding most of my RUs for a large number of attack bombers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Still no update on Cataclysm. I think we can file away its re-release under "Never gonna happen".

Wasn't Warm Machine one of the guys who worked on the original? Did he have any involvement in the project?

I can't wait to see where this goes regardless, I love the original games.

zugzug

I feel like the title misrepresents what the OP quotes from the article nothing you quoted talks about overspending or the regret?

and well inb4 I'm upset how Pitchford will disrespect Homeworld legacy.

Top Bottom