• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Launching March 2014 globally.

Some links:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/24/sony-xperia-z2-flagship-4k-recording/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/24/5438652/sony-xperia-z2-specs-features-and-release-date

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/sony-xperia-z2/4505-6454_7-35835120.html

xperia-z2-hero-white-1240x840-3e10d78449d87fa41b4b9126a53ff806.jpg

xperia-z2-gallery-01-super-slim-1240x840-46ca5c7dd676f8acdeba89fd9a922afd.jpg

xperia-z2-gallery-03-stunning-colours-1240x840-df886eea9fecc65a448787e018e7ce5e.jpg

Sony introduces Xperia™ Z2, its new premium flagship waterproof smartphone with best ever display, 4K recording and Digital Noise Cancelling technology

Key features

• • The world’s best camera and camcorder in a waterproof
    smartphone1 with Sony’s proven camera technologies:
    Award-winning “G Lens”, 20.7 MP “Exmor RS for mobile” CMOS
    image sensor and “BIONZ for mobile” image processing engine
    • Capture video in 4K resolution with SteadyShot™, complemented
    by new Xperia camera apps such as Timeshift video and new AR
    effect
    • Our brightest and most vivid viewing experience ever on 5.2” Full
    HD TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile with Live Colour LED powered
    by X-Reality™ for mobile
    • The world’s first Digital Noise Cancelling Technology2 in a
    smartphone for an immersive audio experience
    • The latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor with 2.3 GHz
    quad-core Krait CPUs and 4G LTE for fast performance, 3GB RAM
    and high capacity 3200 mAh battery in an 8.2mm slim smartphone

A little more details...

• Dimensions: 146.8 x 73.3 x 8.2mm
    Weight: 158 grams

2.3GHz Quadcore Qualcomm MSM8974AB
    Android 4.4

20.7 MP Camera
    2.2 MP front cam
    IP58 ( IPX5 + IPX8 + IP5X ) water proof

Display
    5.2” Full HD TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile with X-Reality for mobile picture engine
    16,777,216 colours Full HD 1920x1080 pixels

Battery: 3000 mAh minimum

Waterproof & OmniBalance design language
    3GB RAM
    16GB ROM
    4K recording, 120fps @720p option for slowmotion...
    Built-in Digital Noise Cancelling with special headphones ( bundled )
    20.7 Camera sensor ( same as Z1 )

Worldwide availability in March

Detailed specification

Camera and video

• 20.7 MP Exmor RS™ for mobile image sensor, 4K video capture
    Burst mode
    HDR for both picture/film
    8x digital zoom
    Front-facing camera (2.2 MP 1080p)
    Geotagging
    HD video recording (1080p)
    Image stabiliser
    Object tracking
    Red-eye reduction
    Scene recognition
    Send to web
    Smile Shutter™
    Sony Exmor RS for mobile image sensor
    Superior Auto
    Sweep Panorama
    Touch focus
    Touch capture
    White balance
    Image capture, supported format: JPEG
    Image playback supported formats: BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, WebP
    Video recording, supported formats: 3GPP, MP4
    Video playback supported formats: 3GPP, MP4, M4V, MKV, AVI, XVID, WEBM
    Face detection

Design and display

• 5.2”, 16,777,216 colours, Full HD 1920x1080 pixels
    TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile
    X-Reality™ for mobile picture engine
    Face Unlock
    Gesture input
    STAMINA mode
    Touch gesture – multi-touch, up to 10 fingers supported
    Screenshot capturing
    Throw
    Pan & zoom

Memory

• RAM: 3 GB
    Flash memory: Up to 16 GB*****
    Expansion slot: microSD™ card, up to 64 GB (SDXC supported)

Pre-loaded applications

• Google Maps for Mobile with Street view**
    Google Hangouts**
    Sony Select
    Web browser (WebKit)
    Google Chrome**
    Google Play**
    Goolge Voice Search**
    Google Search**

Connectivity and communication

• 3.5 mm audio jack (CTIA)
    aGPS
    ANT+ wireless technology
    Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
    DLNA Certified
    MHL support
    Native USB tethering
    NFC
    Screen mirroring
    Smart Connect
    Synchronisation via Exchange ActiveSync®, Facebook™, Google™ and SyncML™*
    USB charging
    USB High speed 2.0 and Micro USB support
    Xperia Link
    Wi-Fi and WiFi Hotspot functionality
    Noise suppression
    Voice enhancement
    Xperia Socialife**
    Miracast™

Entertainment

• 3D and motion gaming
    PlayStation Certified
    FM Radio with RDS
    SensMe and SensMe slideshow
    Sony Entertainment Network (selected markets only)
    TV launcher
    “WALKMAN” application
    3D surround sound
    Bluetooth stereo (aptX®, A2DP)
    Clear Audio+, Clear Bass, Clear Phase™ and Clear stereo
    xLoud Experience – audio filter technology from Sony
    Audio recording, supported formats: 3GPP, MP4, AMR
    Audio playback supported formats: AAC, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, FLAC, MIDI, MP3, PCM, Vorbis, WMA
    YouTube**
    Facebook application**
    Twitter**
    TrackID music recognition**

Networks

• UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz
    GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
    LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 20)

Official product page
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z2/

XBP

Looks awesome, now should i get this or wait for LG G3 / HTC (two?) ? Not sure what to do, :S

Is this the first phone with 3GB of RAM? I don't think I've seen that before.

If i remember correctly, Note 3 has 3GB of ram as well.

catmincer

Looks awesome, now should i get this or wait for LG G3 / HTC (two?) ? Not sure what to do, :S

If i remember correctly, Note 3 has 3GB of ram as well.

I'd wait. The S5 or new HTC phone might use a newer chipset, as they're likely coming out later.

Yasir

To be fair, we are getting to the point where is processor business is begining to matter less and less. The first z was smooth as was and performed excellent in everything, don't even feel this is big enough a upgrade for me.

MutFox

Banned
Sony has the nicest looking phones...

The design is great,
look nicer than current Apple designed phones.

Now if only their marketing was better...

XBP

I'd wait. The S5 or new HTC phone might use a newer chipset, as they're likely coming out later.

Not really excited for the S5, i cant really stand touchwiz. So its either this, the next htc flagship or LG's next offering.

From what i hear though, devices with Snapdragon 805 wont be here until June/July and by that time sony might announce another phone.

Nicktendo86

Still not feeling the design, the power button should be higher up, no sense in putting it there. Lots of buzzwords in the blurb as well but can't see what android version this ships with, or am I being dense?

Edit: I am dense, 4.4.

DBT85

I like my Z1. A lot. This will be great for anyone interested, but I don't see a reason to upgrade.

But then I only ever upgrade at upgrade time, never in the middle of a contract.

dorn.

It still has the volume rocker in the worst imaginable place(especially for lefties) :-/

Also, same sensor as the Z1 right? Really not happy with the image quality on that one.

Looks fantastic as usual, Sony continuing to be easily the best phone developer.

They demoed the 4K video on the show, by transferring it to a 4K TV and it looks incredible.

It still has the volume rocker in the worst imaginable place(especially for lefties) :-/

Also, same sensor as the Z1 right? Really not happy with the image quality on that one.

I'm a lefty and have no issues with the power button or volume rocker. How're you holding it?

XBP

What?!!! Did the guy in the video say the Xperia ultra still has a better screen?...wtf...the screen better be as good as the LG g2...if not it will be another disappointment.

I'd wait for reviews from more 'known' websites. The verge's short hands on says that the screen is a significant improvement over the Z1's (not sure about ultra).

dc89

That looks awesome. I've never been more tempted to ditch the iPhone when my contract is up for renewal. (Jan 15)

Might be a great upgrade for my Z. Skipped the Z1. Or should I wait for the Z3?! These first world problems.

I got the Z day one. If Sony are operating on a 6 month cycle, then it's likely the Z4 will be out very soon after I need to upgrade (2 years). If you're in the same boat, I'd wait for that! We're still getting software updates, have 4G and 1080p screens, so we're not that out of date!

mekes

Options options options.

I'm due an upgrade, it will probably be a crapshoot between this, the One2 and the metal cased S5.

7aged

XBP

So what's the upgrade to the Z1? Huge spec sheet...

Edit: FUCK Z2 TABLET! I just bought the tablet z....

From the top of my head:

- Better screen
- Better battery
- 1GB more ram
- Slightly better processor
- Improvements in camera software (4k recording etc.)
- Ships with Android 4.4.2
- Other features like glove mode, double tap to wake, call answering gestures etc.

jey_16

Banned
The six month upgrade cycle that Sony has stops me from buying this phone. Even HTC allowed the One to live for a year and Samsung plays it right having two distinct lines with Galaxy S in the first half of the year and Galaxy Note in the second half of the year.

Bishop89

Oh hell yes!! What I wanted to hear! Not sure whether to get this or the inevitable compact version. Is it inevitable a compact version coming?

Fezan

Looks like sony will again be the first to use latest Qualcomm 801. Still getting bored of omni balance design

The six month upgrade cycle that Sony has stops me from buying this phone. Even HTC allowed the One to live for a year and Samsung plays it right having two distinct lines with Galaxy S in the first half of the year and Galaxy Note in the second half of the year.

The cycle annoys me too. Given the length of your average phone contract - either 1 year or 2 years, it would make more sense to me if all phone developers released phones (of a particular series) annually only. Less frequent jumps, but larger ones. Entice your customers to upgrade with this incredibly high new spec sheet instead of showing a fairly incremental one.

Looks like sony will again be the first to use latest Qualcomm 801. Still getting bored of omni balance design

What?!?

The design of Sony phones since the Z are easily the best of any phone maker. Monolithic, minimalistic, mature and business like, but can be made fun like the Z1 Compact.

XBP

But why does that matter? Its not like the xperia z and z1 aren't getting the latest android updates? They are still supported by sony and no one actually has to buy the latest phone that sony releases.

VZW, T-Mobile and one of AT&T/sprint will have this phone. The US release will be about two months later than the international release.

Ty4on

Wait.

IT SUPPORTS LTE BAND 17!?

omg yes

Why is USA one of the only countries using neither band 3 nor 7 which is found almost everywhere else? Europe, China, South Korea, Africa, Middle East, Australia, South America and even Canada uses at least one of those two bands.

Edit:
What?!?

The design of Sony phones since the Z are easily the best of any phone maker. Monolithic, minimalistic, mature and business like, but can be made fun like the Z1 Compact.
I'd rather see phone makers make a rounded back and less width to make them more comfortable to hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom