• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
How much off contract?

Officially, Z1 is 680€ in my country. Second hand models [brand new or few days of use] go for 350€. When price of Z2 goes down to ~350€, I will seriously consider getting one.

Not sure I want Sony's Android OS

Z1 OS is very close to stock android. Just few changes here and there. It can be transformed into 99% of stock look very easily.

Show me the docking station.
SHOW ME THE DOCKING STATION!!!!

The DS of the Z was awesome.
The DS of the Z1 is a piece of shit. What the hell were they thinking?
Had to sell my Z1 and rebuy my Z, because of the shitty DS.

There are two docking stations for the Z2.

The plain docking station DK36 without any features (basically the same as the Z1 docking station) and the new bluetooth docking speaker BSC10 which features a 5 watt speaker, One touch connectivity via NFC, dedicated buttons for call answering, power, volume controls. It looks pretty nice.

Joni

I hope it does great. I'm not switching up yet as my Z is still doing great for what I need. It is also surprising how much goodwill the Z has created. There are like 10 coworkers here and 4 of them have a Sony phone released since the Z. Two Z, one Z1 and a T.

reKon

Banned
I want the compact version of this phone at 4.5 inches on T mobile. This would be the perfect situation for me next year

Koppai

What the hell, this looks way better than Galaxy S5 o_O

My upgrade isn't until October...on AT&T (but I have unlimited data :3)

What the hell, this looks way better than Galaxy S5 o_O

My upgrade isn't until October...on AT&T (but I have unlimited data :3)

Z was better than S3.
Z1 was better than S4.
Z2 will be better than S5.

The trend continues, Sony are easily the best phone developers and mass-market fails to recognize it. Not to mention very little bloatware, unlike Samsung whose phones are just full of rubbish.

Koppai

Z was better than S3.
Z1 was better than S4.

The trend continues, Sony are easily the best phone developers and mass-market fails to recognize it. Not to mention very little bloatware, unlike Samsung whose phones are just full of rubbish.

Yeah, I feel like there are 20 apps on my phone that I cannot delete. Looks like I might go Sony this time. First smartphone was Apple, than Samsung, and now Sony <3

Unless the iPhone is somehow better (doubt it!)

You don't think Sony will make a Blue version of the Z2? :3

Bundy

Banned
There are two docking stations for the Z2.

The plain docking station DK36 without any features (basically the same as the Z1 docking station) and the new bluetooth docking speaker BSC10 which features a 5 watt speaker, One touch connectivity via NFC, dedicated buttons for call answering, power, volume controls. It looks pretty nice.

Oh no.... ;((((((((((((((((
I've just googled it.

Both docking-stations are absolute trash AGAIN!

Done wrong:
This is the BSC10 docking-station for the Z2

jpqUNzPVp7yn7.jpg

Explanation:
You have to put the Z2 in the DS and afterwards you have to move the smartphone left&right until it docks on.
This alone is horrible, because you have to hold the DS with one hand and the smartphone in the other hand.
Afterwards, if you want to take the smartphone with you again, you have to hold the DS again with one hand and pull the smartphone out of it with the other hand.

It's the same with the Z1 docking-station. Horrible!

Done right:
The DK26 docking-station of the Xperia Z

jH0oRrqN4d6Bd.jpg

Do you see the "hole" in the DK26?
Just put the Xperia Z into the DS. The smartphone will slip into the "hole" of the DS
and voilà -> it's docked on. Just one hand, just one move.

Better yet -> You wanna take it out of the DS? Just take the Z out of it, easily, with one hand.
The DS won't move, the smartphone un-docks itself -> easy as hell! Just as it should!!!!

Why in the hell have they switched to the "clip" mechanic?
Holding the DS everytime with one hand if you wann pull the smartphone out? WHAT THE FUCK!?!?
Ruins the whole smartphone for me. Will keep the Xperia Z and its awesome docking-station.

Brandson

Looks pretty good. The screen issues stopped me from buying an earlier Sony. 16GB flash memory is pretty weak though. Would it kill them to include at least 32GB built-in.

Z was better than S3.
Z1 was better than S4.

Let's not get carried away...

Z was not better than the s3...with its horrible screen it can't be better than any phone during that time.
Z1 was not better than the the One or the g2...the screen still look like crap.
Z2 so far seems better than the S5.

There is a reason the mass-market fails to recognize it....buthe hopefully it change with the Z2.

It feels odd. Samsung's S5 is due to be announced in a few hours, but the hype for it just feels so flat this time round. So much so I get the feeling we're going to go away tonight more wowed by the Z2 than the S5. Design certainly wows me. It's not much different, but when you've nailed the design as best you can amidst all the other Android OEM attempts, why change it?

I really don't see why they need to release a flagship every six months. It should come to no surprise that each new addition will be very incremental in improvement over the last one given such a short window space between releases.

Plus it makes the tablet situation look a bit weird later on. An Xperia Z3 tablet this time next year will look numerically odd next to the probable announcement of the Z4.

That being said, just got the Z1 Compact. It's brilliant, a definitive step up from my old Samsung Galaxy Ace, but it feels weird that just as the smaller brother of the Z1 comes out, the Z2 pops up. Dunno if Sony should have just went straight for a Z2 Compact instead.

hitsugi

Z was better than S3.
Z1 was better than S4.

Well the mass-market is being influenced by millions and millions of dollars..

longdi

Banned
since Z1C is taking forever here, i would be getting this Z2 instead. But i dont like Sony 6 month schedule, it means Z1 users will feel left out on the software upgrades...technically, almost anything Z2 can do, Z1 should be able...has Sony said anything about supporting older phones?

longdi

Banned
When i see those types of photos it always makes me wonder, is the picture of the Z1 what they showed last year compared with its older model, because if it was i doubt anyone would have bought it

i would be a Z1 user by now if not for the shitty viewing angles, still surprised some here can spin it as anything but crappy, and i a firm believer there was no screen lottery for Z/ZL/Z1, all 3 phones have shit screens no matter the production batch.

Z was not better than the s3...with its horrible screen.

Not sure what broken Z you were looking at, but the screen on mine is incredible. 1080p, incredibly vibrant, full of colour, appropriately saturated.

Samsung phones, from my experience, have a tendency to be horribly over-saturated.

And let's not get carried away thinking that screen is the only factor anyway. Z trounced S3 in both processor speed and had double the RAM.

gcubed

Z was not better than the s3...with its horrible screen it can't be better than any phone during that time.

There is a reason the mass-market fails to recognize it....buthe hopefully it change with the Z2.

I'd say they are slowly recognizing it since sonys share keeps going up. They still have a large buffer between them at #2 and Samsung at #1 though

Yjynx

aus·tere
  1. Severe or stern in disposition or appearance; somber and grave: the austere figure of a Puritan minister.
  2. Strict or severe in discipline; ascetic: a desert nomad's austere life.
  3. Having no adornment or ornamentation; bare: an austere style.
I think this phone looks like big, rough and square (in a bad way). Lacking polish (for instance, the side buttons/ports stand out too much). Sure, it doesn't look as shitty as a Samsung Galaxy but it's not as pretty as the HTC One, Nexus 4 or iPhone 5s.

Also, look as the Playstation 2 or Playstation 4 for more examples. They look very austere. Big, black, sharp boxes. They have the 'cutting edge/high tech' look but they're unfriendly.
this is extremely subjective but you push it like a fact.....

Havel

Think I'll wait for the Z3 or Z4.

My Z is at 12 months out of its 18 month contract, and it has been an amazing phone. With Snapdragon 805 coming out later this year, I imagine it will ship with the Z3 or Z4.

jonnyp

Seriously, what's wrong with the Z1 screen? I have one, everyone who's seen it says it looks amazing.

Not sure what broken Z you were looking at, but the screen on mine is incredible. 1080p, incredibly vibrant, full of colour, appropriately saturated.

Samsung phones, from my experience, have a tendency to be horribly over-saturated.

And let's not get carried away thinking that screen is the only factor anyway. Z trounced S3 in both processor speed and had double the RAM.

Im using the a Z1 right now...the c6906 model, and have a g2 and an HTC One. If I you are not comparing the screen of z1 with those device then the z1 is passable, but having used other device with excellent screens... It's just downright shameful.

I'm making big deal of the screen cause its what you are looking at 99 percent of the time.

Sony makes efficient products but man, do they always look austere. Will they ever make an elegant-looking product? If I pay 500€ for a smartphone, make me proud of owning it.

Elegance is subjective. I always found the industrial, minimalistic approach of Sony very elegant in its functionalism.

Certinty

First time in years I can actually say "I want that phone".

Problem is I know contract prices will drop significantly after a few months so I'll probably wait.

Phoenix

Sony has really been making a splash for themselves. Really love what they are doing with their phones, but still wouldn't touch one unless they had a Google Edition or unless they made a Nexus version.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm up for a new phone this fall and so far this is at the top of my list. We'll see what the iPhone 6 and new Note have to offer.

Really? Wow

I will wait for Z2 to them come out and read reviews. How is Sony about keeping the OS version up to date?

I can confirm that Sony's OS is indeed close to stock. I'd say it's better, to be honest.

They are about the same as everyone else in terms of updating, at least in the UK.
I've had my Xperia Z since February 28th 2013. It's had 4 updates since then. It started on 4.1.

4.2, 4.3, and two of their own little tweaks to each of those versions. It's due to get 4.4 at the end of this month, or the beginning of March.

SRG01

Z1 OS is very close to stock android. Just few changes here and there. It can be transformed into 99% of stock look very easily.

I quite like most of the changes Sony made with the launcher and all that, but the lock screen is atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom