• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
What carrier? Sprint just dicked me on a free G2 upgrade and my contract with them expires next month so I'm gonna be a free agent soon. Looked into prepaid and the phone prices are either fucking outrageous or good for old ass shit phones. I'm so conflicted.

Fezan

The back is glass too? I thought it was that rubber like on the tablet?

Xperia Z, Z1 , Z1 compact and now Z2 all have back glass

According to mobile review russian site there is no more anti shatter film on the glass so its a good news for every one

Fezan

What carrier? Sprint just dicked me on a free G2 upgrade and my contract with them expires next month so I'm gonna be a free agent soon. Looked into prepaid and the phone prices are either fucking outrageous or good for old ass shit phones. I'm so conflicted.

Get g2 excellent phone with good camera good battery life and beautiful screen. specs are top notch too

Get g2 excellent phone with good camera good battery life and beautiful screen. specs are top notch too

Well I was ready to today, then they told me the free G2 was only for new customers and/or adding a line to my account. I told them I want to upgrade my current HTC piece of shit and they told me it would be $150 for the G2 in that case even though my contract expires in 19 days. Fuck Sprint, by the time my contract is up the deal will be gone. I even went on chat and complained and the lady told me she can't do anything since she's only an online rep but they would give me a whopping $5 if I trade in my HTC shit towards a G2!

spwolf

all it seems... i would wait for a month or two before switching until all of these new ones come out.... not only you will have nice selection, old flagship phones will get cheaper too.

Kyoufu

nope, they are built in... but Z2 has huge battery, and Z1c also lasts forever.

Bummer. Any idea how long a 3000mAh battery would last with moderate use? My S3 has a 2100mAh battery I believe, which requires charging twice a day :/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bummer. Any idea how long a 3000mAh battery would last with moderate use? My S3 has a 2100mAh battery I believe, which requires charging twice a day :/

No idea what moderate use means, but my Z1s (non-Stamina mode) lasts a bit longer than I was getting with my 5S. I wasn't even running the battery out in the middle of the day with my 5S, but I would be around 30 - 40% by the time I went to bed. With the Z1s, I'm consistently over 60% when I plug the phone in at night.

Road

Too huge for me, and even if I gave in, seeing how it outclasses the S5 in specs, I imagine it's not gonna be cheaper than $800.

I hope they don't make the Z2 compact 5 inch. I'd actually want a bigger screen if Sony were able to reduce the bezels, but all they do is increase the size of the phone, so, no thx.

spwolf

it is actually 3200 mAh (from their PRs)... it will last well over the day.

There isnt a weak point to this phone compared to anything on the market... and previews/hands-on's seems to support it.

its actually quite funny when you think about it. professional reviewers dont know the difference between glass and plastic

That much is true. But someone figured it out eventually, and this was not a mistake Sony was too eager to correct.

Xperia-Z1-Compact-plastic-back_2-640x370-620x358.jpg

demented

Probably gonna buy this in summer unless HTC's next one is better, time for me to upgrade from S3 anyway.

I'm just curious if the space underneath the screen is completely unused and just there to hold it or something?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Probably gonna buy this in summer unless HTC's next one is better, time for me to upgrade from S3 anyway.

I'm just curious if the space underneath the screen is completely unused and just there to hold it or something?

Part of their omnibalance design

Oh no.... ;((((((((((((((((
I've just googled it.

Both docking-stations are absolute trash AGAIN!

Uh, I have the Z1 docking station, and it's great.

Yes, you 'can' slide it in, and when you do, it locks in when it's at the right spot. It's very difficult to slide off and it's easy to take off.

KillGore

This will be my next phone. The Galaxy S5 looks like shit and it's pretty boring looking.

I just don't understand why there are no Sony phone on Sprint :( guess I'll have to change carriers.

This will be my next phone. The Galaxy S5 looks like shit and it's pretty boring looking.

I just don't understand why there are no Sony phone on Sprint :( guess I'll have to change carriers.

There is a chance it'll hit Sprint since it's coming to Verizon, with it's release date next month we should know soon :(

the Japanese version of the z1 compact has a glass back, so I'm going to a assume there was some confusion in Sony's marketing department.

Jigolo

This actually has me hyped for the new Z2 compact this fall. Hopefully with a 4.8 in 1080p display SD 805.

SHIT SO MANY THOUGHTS. Z2S GPE or New Nexus OR Z2 COMPACT??

Why isn't it September already.

Knoxcore

Nexus 5
Xperia Z2
LG G2
Galaxy S5

In that order.

Now we wait for HTC.

The Z1 was only on T-Mobile, and that was a full four months after its initial release. It better come to AT&T.

I'm up for an upgrade June 20. The S5 is no longer an option for me. Don't really like the back buttons on the G2. The Nexus 5 cost $350. We'll see.

spwolf

This actually has me hyped for the new Z2 compact this fall. Hopefully with a 4.8 in 1080p display SD 805.

SHIT SO MANY THOUGHTS. Z2S GPE or New Nexus OR Z2 COMPACT??

Why isn't it September already.

why would Compact have 4.8" display?

Avtomat

Nexus 5
Xperia Z2
LG G2
Galaxy S5

In that order.

Now we wait for HTC.

The Z1 was only on T-Mobile, and that was a full four months after its initial release. It better come to AT&T.

I'm up for an upgrade June 20. The S5 is no longer an option for me. Don't really like the back buttons on the G2. The Nexus 5 cost $350. We'll see.

The G2 is currently going for Nexus 5 prices brand new where I am so I was wondering why the Nexus 5 above the G2?

Jigolo

why would Compact have 4.8" display?

Have you seen the Moto X's dimensions? It's tiny with an 4.7 inch display. Hell the Z1C is almost the size of the Moto X and it's screen is .4" smaller. There is no doubt in my mind the Z2C will have a bigger display (probably 4.7-4.8 in) and a 1080p one at that. Trust me when I say there won't be a 720p smart phone running a Snapdragon 805. It's the natural upgrade.

Z1C:
127 x 64.9 x 9.5 mm (5.0 x 2.56 x 0.37 in)
4.3 inch 720 display
SD800, Adreno 330 GPU
2300 mAh battery

Here's what I expect from the Z2C:
129 x 66.4 x 8.4 mm (thinner) (less bezel)
4.7-4.8 inch 1080p display (the really nice one of the Z2 shrunken down)
SD805, Adreno 420 GPU
2500 mAh battery
Better camera

Here are the Moto X dimensions for comparisons sake:
129.3 x 65.3 x 10.4 mm (5.09 x 2.57 x 0.41 in)
4.7 inch display

It's certainly possible to fit that into a phone that size considering what they could fit in the Z2 in the ridiculously thin tablet.

The G2 is currently going for Nexus 5 prices brand new where I am so I was wondering why the Nexus 5 above the G2?

Unless you really like vanilla Android, go with the G2. I'm regretting choosing the N5 over it since the G2's battery and camera just annihilate the N5's while having a better screen as well. You just have to deal with LG bloatware, which some people won't mind but some hate.

The N5 definitely looks better than the G2 though.

spwolf

Have you seen the Moto X's dimensions? It's tiny with an 4.7 inch display. Hell the Z1C is almost the size of the Moto X and it's screen is .4" smaller. There is no doubt in my mind the Z2C will have a bigger display (probably 4.7-4.8 in) and a 1080p one at that. Trust me when I say there won't be a 720p smart phone running a Snapdragon 805. It's the natural upgrade.

Z1C:
4.3 inch 720 display
SD800, Adreno 330 GPU
2300 mAh battery

SD805, Adreno 420 GPU
2500 mAh battery
Better camera

4.7 inch display

It's certainly possible to fit that into a phone that size considering what they could fit in the Z2 in the ridiculously thin tablet.

Well such thin bezels would not be possible to be used by everyone, this is why most manufacturers dont use them. I have S2 right now and my big fat hands occasionally hit lower right corner of the screen and it annoys me greatly... something like Moto X looks like it would be unusable by me (with one hand).

And even then, I would think they would use it to make it even more compact. Having 4.7" screen in tiny bezel does not change the fact that most people wouldnt be able to operate it fully with one hand - I couldnt operate anything bigger than 4.3" screen with one hand, because I would not be able to reach all corners with one finger.

Unless you really like vanilla Android, go with the G2. I'm regretting choosing the N5 over it since the G2's battery and camera just annihilate the N5's while having a better screen as well. You just have to deal with LG bloatware, which some people won't mind but some hate.

The N5 definitely looks better than the G2 though.

The LG2 is a beast.

The screen is gorgeous!! almost as good as the SLCD3 of the HTC One....some might even prefer it.
The battery is amazing too last longer than the Z1.
The camera is a beast too....can actually take decent picture without much tinkering unlike the Z1.

vivftp

Z1C:
4.3 inch 720 display
SD800, Adreno 330 GPU
2300 mAh battery

SD805, Adreno 420 GPU
2500 mAh battery
Better camera

4.7 inch display

A Z2C like that would probably be horrid on battery life. One of the reasons the Z1C is able to achieve the battery levels it has are because of the smaller screen and its lower resolution.

My guess on the way things will go is that the next Sony flagship will have smaller bezels to make it an overall smaller device while maintaining the 5.2" display on the new phone. I'm willing to bet they'll keep the Compact devices in the same ballpark as the iPhones because there is a market who wants phones that big. Increasing the screen size means having to bump it up to 1080p, which means a larger battery drain, which means a relatively poor battery life.

vivftp

My brother's Z1's screen cracked while in pocket. Does this suffer from similar built? I hope not.

I'd imagine there's got to be more to that story than it was just in his pocket. The Z phones seem to be quite tough, especially since there is a shatterproof sheet on both the front and back of the phone.

Was it in a tight pocket and he bent over or something?

I'd imagine there's got to be more to that story than it was just in his pocket. The Z phones seem to be quite tough, especially since there is a shatterproof sheet on both the front and back of the phone.

Was it in a tight pocket and he bent over or something?

That's all there is to the story. He put it in his pocket, took it out and the screen was cracked. Tight pocket? Probably but it's your average denim jeans pocket. Cost $200 for it to be fixed.

Going on Google revealed its a common problem.

Jigolo

A Z2C like that would probably be horrid on battery life. One of the reasons the Z1C is able to achieve the battery levels it has are because of the smaller screen and its lower resolution.

My guess on the way things will go is that the next Sony flagship will have smaller bezels to make it an overall smaller device while maintaining the 5.2" display on the new phone. I'm willing to bet they'll keep the Compact devices in the same ballpark as the iPhones because there is a market who wants phones that big. Increasing the screen size means having to bump it up to 1080p, which means a larger battery drain, which means a relatively poor battery life.

Why do people always assume this is the case? Has the HTC One and GS4 not proved anything? They both have great battery life (although not as good as Z1C) with 1080p displays, more power hungry SD600, and older antennas that likely use more battery. That's a common misconception that needs to stop.

IF the specs I posted were actually facts that would put the battery only 500 mAh smaller then the LG G2. With a potentially .4-.5 inch smaller display.

That's all there is to the story. He put it in his pocket, took it out and the screen was cracked. Tight pocket? Probably but it's your average denim jeans pocket. Cost $200 for it to be fixed.

Going on Google revealed its a common problem.

What? I dropped mines down a flight of stairs and it didn't even have a dent. He must have one bony ass.

vivftp

Why do people always assume this is the case? Has the HTC One and GS4 not proved anything? They both have great battery life (although not as good as Z1C) with 1080p displays, more power hungry SD600, and older antennas that likely use more battery. That's a common misconception that needs to stop.

IF the specs I posted were actually facts that would put the battery only 500 mAh smaller then the LG G2. With a potentially .4-.5 inch smaller display.

I'm comparing it against what the Z1 Compact itself is able to achieve with its 4.3" 720p display. It's capable of great battery life as it is. Your proposed smartphone would have a 0.5" larger display and it'd be pushing double the amount of pixels, all with only 200mAh more battery life. That's gotta eat into the overall battery life of your proposed device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom