• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the top of my head:

- Better screen
- Better battery
- 1GB more ram
- Slightly better processor
- Improvements in camera software (4k recording etc.)
- Ships with Android 4.4.2
- Other features like glove mode, double tap to wake, call answering gestures etc.

Screen is bigger, but not better in terms of res.
Battery is the same.

Seems like a small upgrade.

Tablet tho... huge upgrade since Tablet Z is pretty slow for standards.

Ninja Dom

So...more of the same. Very incremental update over the Z1.

Not that that's a bad thing.

S4 was a very incremental update over the S3. Samsung weren't happy with sales.

5S was a very incremental update over the 5. Apple had glorious sales and are very happy.

gimmmick

Great design, hopefully software won't hold back this phone like it has for the past installments of the zed line up.

7aged

Great design, hopefully software won't hold back this phone like it has for the past installments of the zed line up.

Huh? Sony's interface is pretty close to vanilla android and they update fairly regularly. Not much bloat to deal with

Guinness

Neo Member
And I just bought a Nexus 5 :(

Anyway, the Z2 is probably going to be too expensive for me. Still a damn sexy phone.

To be fair, we are getting to the point where is processor business is begining to matter less and less. The first z was smooth as was and performed excellent in everything, don't even feel this is big enough a upgrade for me.

We got to that point when Galaxy S3 was released ;)

This whole SOC race feels so pointless when it is only used to play angry birds or some endless runner

DBT85

Battery is the same.

The Tablet Z is slow for what exactly?

The only thing I'd want to change on the Tablet Z is to have a magnetic charging point and a headphone socket without a cover. And I only used the headphone socket once in a year anyway.

XBP

Battery is the same.

Screen's quality is better (as seen from the screenshots so far and hands on impressions). The battery has seen a small upgrade as well from 3000 mAh to 3200 mAh.

zhao3gold

Banned
Jesus, it is such a quick upgrade for Z series. As a Z with 2 year contract user at launch, I have to skip Z1 and Z2.

Z3, I am coming....

Currently using a Nexus 5 and this is as big as I'll ever go as far as dimensions are concerned. Still sometimes feel it's too big.

To be fair, we are getting to the point where is processor business is begining to matter less and less. The first z was smooth as was and performed excellent in everything, don't even feel this is big enough a upgrade for me.

Yep, since the release of the first quad cores processors on mobile the performance matters less and less each year. my xperia z eats anything i throw at with ease, even games. having a processor that powerful will set you for years, though i will wait until next year.

Sony makes efficient products but man, do they always look austere. Will they ever make an elegant-looking product? If I pay 500€ for a smartphone, make me proud of owning it.

Aversion

Banned
Sony makes efficient products but man, do they always look austere. Will they ever make an elegant-looking product? If I pay 500€ for a smartphone, make me proud of owning it.

Umm what? That things looks fantastic from view. I have never had one in my hands though. What don't you like about it? Austere? LOL.

DSC07026_800_wm.jpg

Z1 - Z2

When i see those types of photos it always makes me wonder, is the picture of the Z1 what they showed last year compared with its older model, because if it was i doubt anyone would have bought it

Silentium

looks nice, definitely going to consider this when it's time to upgrade soon. Super excited to see the quality of the camera

those icons :( I wish Sony would update the style and consistency of the included icons (I know about Nova/Apex and icon packs)

Peterthumpa

When i see those types of photos it always makes me wonder, is the picture of the Z1 what they showed last year compared with its older model, because if it was i doubt anyone would have bought it

In fact, yes, the Z and Z1 were also both always knew by their so so displays.

This was my main issue with them. If this screen is that good, my HTC One is getting replaced.

In fact, yes, the Z and Z1 were also both always knew by their so so displays.

This was my main issue with them. If this screen is that good, my HTC One is getting replaced.

As a Z owner I've never really understood where people are coming from when they mention the devices having bad displays...

Something that always comes up is viewing angles. It's fine from all angles for me.

Ravage

I got my Z1 at launch and i absolutely adore it (best Android experience to date imo). Great UI and performance packaged in a gorgeous waterproof shell.

Probably not gonna upgrade this early, but i'll easily recommend the Z2 seeing how it's a refinement of the Z1.

Radec

As a Z owner I've never really understood where people are coming from when they mention the devices having bad displays...

Something that always comes up is viewing angles. It's fine from all angles for me.

I get it alot when my colleagues checks up my phone. They always notice how bad the screen is compared to an S4.

They're right though, but not a biggie for me, got used to it and I even use the lowest brightness.

What irks me the most is the camera. Too much noise and low light is awful.

As for this phone, I don't feel it replacing my Z. Will check the Z3 first which is most likely 5-6 months ahead.

Bundy

Banned
Show me the docking station.
SHOW ME THE DOCKING STATION!!!!

The DS of the Z was awesome.
The DS of the Z1 is a piece of shit. What the hell were they thinking?
Had to sell my Z1 and rebuy my Z, because of the shitty DS.

Love my Z, still got about 7 months left on the contract so just in time for a Z3.

That Tablet Z2 though... might grab it next month.

Bundy

Banned
Not a fan of the way the power button sticks out like that but otherwise? That is one sexy piece of tech.
The power button of the Z1 is awesome.
Absolutely perfect spot and it feels great when pushed.
Have you tried it? I thought it looks weird, too.
But after my purchase -> it's awesome!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

That's what it looks like at an angle, but up front the display on the z1 is vibrant.

Sid

Since this has the same battery as last year's model and a larger screen would it not have a worse battery life?

Bit-Bit

Not gonna lie, that is one sexy phone. And the design is just gorgeous.

I'm really interested in its video recording features too.

I'm waiting to hear more about the S5 before choosing my next phone. But the Z2 is definitely in the top spot right now.

Hurley

I'm in the market for a new phone right now and that thing looks gorgeous.

Only worry I have, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that when it comes to updates for the OS that the Sony phones aren't that good with support and it takes ages to get them, if at all, is that true?

wrowa

Love the design. Sony is the only company that gives Apple a run for its money in that regard. I wish Samsung would start to make some nice-looking phones, too...

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I'm in the market for a new phone right now and that thing looks gorgeous.

Only worry I have, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that when it comes to updates for the OS that the Sony phones aren't that good with support and it takes ages to get them, if at all, is that true?

I haven't owned a Sony phone before, but to be honest, the updates to the base android OS is so incremental I won't even care.

Kyoufu

Looks great. My S3 is showing its age. I don't know if I should go for the Z2 or wait til Autumn for something else, maybe the Z3?

Umm what? That things looks fantastic from view. I have never had one in my hands though. What don't you like about it? Austere? LOL.
aus·tere
  1. Severe or stern in disposition or appearance; somber and grave: the austere figure of a Puritan minister.
  2. Strict or severe in discipline; ascetic: a desert nomad's austere life.
  3. Having no adornment or ornamentation; bare: an austere style.
I think this phone looks like big, rough and square (in a bad way). Lacking polish (for instance, the side buttons/ports stand out too much). Sure, it doesn't look as shitty as a Samsung Galaxy but it's not as pretty as the HTC One, Nexus 4 or iPhone 5s.

Also, look as the Playstation 2 or Playstation 4 for more examples. They look very austere. Big, black, sharp boxes. They have the 'cutting edge/high tech' look but they're unfriendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom