• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Z1 OS is very close to stock android. Just few changes here and there. It can be transformed into 99% of stock look very easily.

Still won't get as timely updates as a Nexus, etc.

A Sony Nexus is my dream phone. The Nexus 5 is awesome, but LG just don't have the hardware chops Sony do, IMO.

Still won't get as timely updates as a Nexus, etc.

A Sony Nexus is my dream phone. The Nexus 5 is awesome, but LG just don't have the hardware chops Sony do, IMO.

Who cares with the "timely update" updates only benefits newer phone....it's a false promise, did the galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4 had timely update?

RoKKeR

Damn, this thing is slick as hell. Definitely going to keep my eye on it, will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the new HTC One.

Flagship season is fun. This looks miles better than the S5. How is Sony's Android Ui/skin? I'm not as familiar with it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How frustrating. I just bought a Z1s, which was released in late January in the US. Obviously the Z2 isn't a huge leap from the Z1s, but the better parts would be welcome all the same for a device I'll be using for a year or more, especially if the price is similar. Their release schedule is pretty damn annoying as a consumer. Didn't the Z1 just come out in Europe and such last November or so?

Damn, this thing is slick as hell. Definitely going to keep my eye on it, will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the new HTC One.

Flagship season is fun. This looks miles better than the S5. How is Sony's Android Ui/skin? I'm not as familiar with it.

It's basically stock android with their multimedia apps.

garath

Don't know why Verizon never gets the Sony phones. Even though I just bought a Droid MAXX, I'd like to see the Xperia line start to come to Verizon so I could eventually hope to get one myself.

Jigolo

hmmmm, yup. I've decided. 2 options for me this fall. Sucks that the 805 didn't make it to these new handsets. Need the most future proof phone as possible after I leave my Galaxy Nexus.

So two scenarios for me.

1. Sony makes the next Nexus device (doubtful)

2. Z2S Google Play Edition this September/October with a SD805 (very possible)

spwolf

well, they seem to have produced true high end phone to beat... 801 chipset, 4k video, new screen tech, large battery, stereo speakers up front, noise cancelling, lighter and thinner...

Okay, I'm new to android and love the Galaxy S4 I bought last year.

I am not interested in the S5 at all.

So tell me why this phone is not as fuck awesome as it looks!

Where did the Z1 fail compared to the Galaxy S4?

the z1 failed with its screen, especially its viewing angles. Speakers were also pretty average apparently.
I think the z2 fixes all the shortcomings of the z1 and improves everything else.

tokkun

Don't know why Verizon never gets the Sony phones. Even though I just bought a Droid MAXX, I'd like to see the Xperia line start to come to Verizon so I could eventually hope to get one myself.

Historically Sony has released almost very, very few CDMA devices, which had ruled them out for both Verizon and Sprint. I don't know if this is due to a lack of technical expertise, test equipment, cost saving measures, or what.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Z2 tablet looks quite slick.

z202-17_1232vs_verge_super_wide.jpg

z202-17_1235vs_verge_super_wide.jpg

z202-17_1246vs_1_verge_super_wide.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/24/5440264/sony-goes-for-extreme-thinness-with-new-xperia-z2-tablet

Measuring a mere 6.4mm thick, Sony's new 10-inch tablet immediately grabs attention with its aggressively minimal design. All potential excess has been filed away from the Xperia Z2 Tablet, leaving a device that's lighter than the slimmed-down iPad Air while also touting extra features that Apple's slate can't match. First among them is the Live Color LED display, which Sony claims has the widest color gamut of any mobile device and is shared with the newly announced Xperia Z2 smartphone. Also common between the new Xperia devices is the quad-core Snapdragon 801 processor, 3GB of RAM, and Full HD resolution.

Faithful to its name, the Xperia Z2 Tablet feels very much liked a scaled-up Z2, although it does make one compromise in using an 8-megapixel camera instead of the 20.7-megapixel sensor found inside Sony's flagship smartphone.

Overall, it feels like a great, almost unfeasible, evolution to the Tablet Z it succeeds. A device that was already known for being thin and light has improved on both counts without sacrificing anything — even the 6,000mAh battery has been retained.

HigXx

Man I am so hyped for this phone. Definitely will be getting one of these magnetic docking station. The one with the speakers seems like a good 'un

Koppai

I hope T-Mobile isn't the only carrier, I have AT&T and unlimited data and I want to keep it. I also want this phone...is there any way for us to bug AT&T about this phone? :)

Fezan

SO whats happening. Sony has this time better processor and more RAM than Samsung device with bigger screen and smaller footprint.

Still the power has marketing has spoken. on both the verge and engadget they are not pointing out that's its a marginal update or looks fugly from back

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Amazing, I'm trying very hard to find things to nitpick about and to be honest I'm struggling. I'm looking to upgrade in a couple of months, absolutely perfect timing. This might be the one.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to an Xperia one of these days.

I really enjoy the old slider phone I had back in college (even with the buttons that cracked). If I remember right their phones are usually never sold through AT&T which is a bummer.

mjontrix

Oh no.... ;((((((((((((((((
I've just googled it.

Both docking-stations are absolute trash AGAIN!

Done wrong:
This is the BSC10 docking-station for the Z2

jpqUNzPVp7yn7.jpg

Explanation:
You have to put the Z2 in the DS and afterwards you have to move the smartphone left&right until it docks on.
This alone is horrible, because you have to hold the DS with one hand and the smartphone in the other hand.
Afterwards, if you want to take the smartphone with you again, you have to hold the DS again with one hand and pull the smartphone out of it with the other hand.

It's the same with the Z1 docking-station. Horrible!

Done right:
The DK26 docking-station of the Xperia Z

jH0oRrqN4d6Bd.jpg

Do you see the "hole" in the DK26?
Just put the Xperia Z into the DS. The smartphone will slip into the "hole" of the DS
and voilà -> it's docked on. Just one hand, just one move.

Better yet -> You wanna take it out of the DS? Just take the Z out of it, easily, with one hand.
The DS won't move, the smartphone un-docks itself -> easy as hell! Just as it should!!!!

Why in the hell have they switched to the "clip" mechanic?
Holding the DS everytime with one hand if you wann pull the smartphone out? WHAT THE FUCK!?!?
Ruins the whole smartphone for me. Will keep the Xperia Z and its awesome docking-station.

Its for the nfc and speaker -I like it!

Prrfect alarm clock now - no more sleeping in! No stumbling aroumd to answer phone, can put my lucid dreaming beats on without speakers, its perfect!

A bit bulky looking though - couldve outsourced it to Bose or someine else who can do small size speakers that pack some punch (I know bose sucks but im talking about the size thing)

EGM92

Does anyone know what kind of glass they're using for the body? Is it durable? ie: better than the shit that they used in the iphone 4/nexus 4?

Fezan

Does anyone know what kind of glass they're using for the body? Is it durable? ie: better than the shit that they used in the iphone 4/nexus 4?

Its unknown. Most speculation is dragontail. but i haven't seen any one with a broken xperia front or back screen

spwolf

STM10-Stereo-Microphone-silver-018c8d69f80ecfe1066e0573e1bc4c67.jpg

They seem to have a lot of accessories, like this new mic, which is pretty cool... also several different stands, cases, even bluetooth keyboard with and without cover (Z2/Z2 Tablet)

How frustrating. I just bought a Z1s, which was released in late January in the US. Obviously the Z2 isn't a huge leap from the Z1s, but the better parts would be welcome all the same for a device I'll be using for a year or more, especially if the price is similar. Their release schedule is pretty damn annoying as a consumer. Didn't the Z1 just come out in Europe and such last November or so?

Yeah its annoying for the fact that all the upgrade of the Z2 are things the z1 should have had in the beginning, like a decent screen.

The screen on the z1 was so bad that the latest firmware had to add a white balance calibration setting to help out with the terrible yellow hue of the screen.

The biggest grip with the z1 is the wifi is wonky.

The UI is fine. Sense and Xperia ui to me are much better than overrated stock. Bother looks good and functional. stock kit kat feels so IOS like with big icons and stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom