• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A thread for appreciating Pokemon X and Y NPC designs (dat female Pokemon Breeder)

injurai

Banned
Beauty
VSBeauty.png

Honeymooners (Tourists when individually)
VSHoneymooners.png

Artist Family
VSArtist_Family.png

Waitress
VSWaitress.png

Swimmer
VSSwimmer_F.png
VSSwimmer_M.png

explodet

Korrina's design left an impression on me.

tumblr_mr9mmuRcZv1s2kalqo1_400.jpg

The fact that her Halucha absolutely pasted my team at the time might have had something to do with that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Heh, one Beauty in Maison is a post-op.

And there's a bodybuilder furisode girl in Chateau.

The 2D art would still exist. It's just official art that they shoved into the game.

Most of the 2D art here are ripped from the game. God knows when GF would release the assets of the 2D art.

Espada

Heh, one Beauty in Maison is a post-op.

And there's a bodybuilder furisode girl in Chateau.

Most of the 2D art here are ripped from the game. God knows when GF would release the assets of the 2D art.

Man, I remember that one. I was trying increase my rank there, fought this one furisode girl (she's the blonde one, IIRC) and she said her body is "a tapestry of muscles". Man, the localization team must've had a ball with this game. There's several other instances were NPC dialogue made me raise an eyebrow. Another one is a Fairytale girl who wants you to close your eyes and sleep forever.

But anyway, I agree with OP. The NPC designs here were really good, probably because they were getting full art so half-assing it was unacceptable. My favorites are Male Swimmer, Female Ranger, All of the E4, and Essentia.

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah I like the Beauty now too, so casual and they dress like they can go around town, unlike the older Beauties.

Man what is up with the fairytale girls and Valerie. I do like the Fae angle they've gone with as it reminds that these are pokeMonsters and would like to see that expanded upon in the future.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I personally like;

-The female Tourists
-The Beauty
-The Waitress
-The Furisode
-The female Ace Trainers

I um like my women. ^_^;

screen-shot-2013-09-13-at-6-03-29-pm.png

It's too bad they rarely appear in-game but I really love Team Flare Scientists (Bryony, Aliana, Celosia, Mable) especially in the art here. Too vogue.

I was left disappointed by them as I excepted then to have a bigger role but as you said they barely appear in the game.

Needs more Malva.

XY_Malva.png

Malva ticks me off since she is a part of Team Flare but you never find that out until post game when you do the Looker side quest and she appears after the whole Team Flare story saga, what more she still seem to be loyal to Team Flare at the end of the game.

Hopefully Pokémon Z fixes this.

The fact that her Halucha absolutely pasted my team at the time might have had something to do with that.

I still feel that Korrina should have been the champion instead of the one we got, who by the way appears less that Korrina and didn't know what Mega Evolution was.

Boss Doggie

I think Alexa should be Z's champion. Just give an excuse that Diantha had to film something in Unova or shit.

Hex Maniacs will always be the best.

I buy the Moo Moo Milk from that one Hex Maniac all the time.

H9M6atc.png

Always a dozen milk bottles.

Man what is up with the fairytale girls and Valerie. I do like the Fae angle they've gone with as it reminds that these are pokeMonsters and would like to see that expanded upon in the future.

Too much fairy dust.

Wichu

Korrina is awesome for the music and battle intro for the final battle with her.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Gym Leader designs this time around, but the Elite Four were pretty cool. Too bad the Champion was boring compared to some of the previous ones (I even prefer Alder over her; he at least has a nice backstory and a catchy theme).

The normal trainer designs were great, though. Some of my favourites:
VSFurisode_Girl_3.png
VSGar%C3%A7on.png
VSPunk_Guy.png
VSTourist_M.png
VSTourist_F_A.png
VSMonsieur.png
VSSchoolgirl.png
VSPok%C3%A9mon_Breeder_F.png
VSVeteran_M.png
VSPok%C3%A9_Fan_M.png
VSFairy_Tale_Girl.png
VSHex_Maniac.png

The ability to customise your avatar's clothes/skin colour/eye colour means we get some diversity in player characters, too. I just wish the male trainer had more clothing/hair options (the ability to take off your hat or wear glasses would've been nice, too).

Boss Doggie

300px-XY_Wulfric.png

Best. Gives zero fucks what society says about wearing jackets.

He's also one of the bro-est gym leaders.

Knows his type is shit defensively but knows it's one of the best offensive typings, yet still accepts challenges. Is loved by Pokemon in Pokemon Village, probably buddies with Mewtwo too.

Kazerei

Banned
Mom is pretty hot. And I love how she ties the sleeves of her overalls around her waist, although the color is kind of bad.

yScq0v7.jpg

-Horizon-

Malva ticks me off since she is a part of Team Flare but you never find that out until post game when you do the Looker side quest and she appears after the whole Team Flare story saga, what more she still seem to be loyal to Team Flare at the end of the game.

Hopefully Pokémon Z fixes this.

I still feel that Korrina should have been the champion instead of the one we got, who by the way appears less that Korrina and didn't know what Mega Evolution was.

The next game needs to fix a lot of things and I also agree with the Korrina sentiment.

300px-XY_Wulfric.png

Grandpa Max's weekend clothes?

Mom is pretty hot. And I love how she ties the sleeves of her overalls around her waist, although the color is kind of bad.

yScq0v7.jpg

image.php

Toad.T

Banned
I REALLY need to finish X and Y. It seems like I'm missing out on a lot of stuff. Curse my OCD-like catch/evolve 'em all playthrough style.

Regiruler

What? Korrina was absolutely piss-easy.

Yea I agree I like Alexa's design a lot.

Also was I the only one fond of Shuana?
Shauna_FRDE__Sannah_IT_Shana_ES_Xana_official_art_300dpi.jpg
GODDAMN QUOTE YOUR IMAGE

Anyway, this thread needs more Siebold, aka the only trainer in all of Kalos that gives a damn about putting up a fight:

As a note, I'm not a tremendous fan of just an artwork shot for the trainers. It makes the pokemon they're using feel more detached from people, and ergo less interesting. This was averted with team plasma so no wonder I liked their fights more.

GamerSoul

I was surprised because we were watching fireworks in the daytime, I should've planned our date better
that scene forever ruined in my mind because it was during the day when I was playing it

Yep, that's what happened to me too. It was not meant to be, I guess.

Her name is Grace :p

Yes, not only is she the first mom to have a bedroom, she is also the first mom to have a name!

well she is cute

Boss Doggie

yScq0v7.jpg

Her name is Grace :p

Yes, not only is she the first mom to have a bedroom, she is also the first mom to have a name!

Chris R

Those really look good, just wish I was enjoying the game more. Constant framerate drops and just poor design are turning me off, but the sooner I beat it the sooner I can move on.

Regiruler

TBH I thought Gen V was the pinnacle of NPC design. Cheren, Brycen, Shauntal, Grimsley, Ghetsis, N, and Elesa 1 (not a fan of her second version) are all excellent designs.
300px-XY_Wulfric.png

This renders my post invalid, Wulfric GOAT

Owwari

Banned
Can't help but admit that I have a crush on the waitress(es) of this game.
They're like my ideal french girl I'd love to date some day.

johnsmith

remember me
Now for named NPCs I have some few

XY_Valerie.png

Maybe I just love weird stuff but Valerie just fits it. Fairy type trainer who is whacked out on fairy dust and is apparently from Johto (fan theory is that she's one of the kimono girls). Those weird eyes man.

Ugh. This is fucking horrible. Probably the single worst gym leader design in the entire series.

-Horizon-

I still think Cynthia had the best design of all.
She should've showed up in gen 6. And I'm saying this only half jokingly, a part of me did want her to pop up in the game again.

Top Bottom