• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook denies claim it will rebrand Oculus

DieH@rd

Banned
Facebook has officially denied a claim by a New York Times source saying the social network will plaster its logo and interface onto the hardware of its new acquisition Oculus.

The New York Times’ Nick Wingfield and Vindu Goel wrote ”According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company, Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo.”

A Facebook spokesperson tells me this is “not true and not in the spirit of our relationship [with Oculus].” Facebook says it will allow Oculus to operate independently, similar to it says it runs Instagram, and plans to run WhatsApp — it’s two other biggest major acquisitions.

This doesn’t mean Facebook will be completely uninvolved. It’s expected to contribute research and development funding and talent, recruiting help, and more to Oculus similar to how it did to supercharge Instagram.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/26/facebook-oculus/

also worth of note:
WH0nKh2.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
The product's name is Rift, the direct antithesis of social conventions, maybe Oculus stays, but I don't think they're going to call the consumer version the Rift, they shouldn't have anyway, but now I really don't see it happening.

Guess Who

Banned
That Reddit post needs to stop being posted, or at least that version of it. The first sentence of each line (the "if ____, I'm done" parts) is a quote he's responding to, not his own words.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Words mean nothing. Nothing said right now by anyone means a damn thing.

All that matters is that the ultimate deciding powers for all things Oculus Rift have moved from Oculus VR to Facebook.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
GAF would never overreact, ever. This whole thing has been so fun to watch unfold.

Dragon

Banned
Yes. Some people are absolutely convinced this is essentially a deal with the devil and that everything is ruined.

Some people believe the world is 5000 years old.

In this situation though if we compare what Oculus was only 24 hours ago, compared to what it is now, yeah I'd prefer it to be the former rather than the latter. I think people going all hyperbolic are really just saying that.

tanooki27

Yeah I don't really see the big deal, seeing as Instagram is still pretty independent of Facebook.

yeah, but Instagram was big in the culture before Facebook snapped it up. didn't make sense to rebrand. Outside of gaming/electronics circles, Oculus Rift is pretty unknown.

in my mind, if Facebook feels VR will be a vital part of its business, you can bet they'll slap their name on it.

Yeah I don't really see the big deal, seeing as Instagram is still pretty independent of Facebook.

And WhatsApp. This doesn't *have* to be the end of the world. If I was facebook and I was reading the comments on this board, however, I would want nothing to do with gaming and I'd rebrand that fucker faster than you can say "hyperbole"

"Oculus Rift" is not a consumer friendly name for a mass market. Ergo, I think they'll rebrand it in time. This is well separate from any of the sinister stuff people should be worried about; I think that's just a marketing/business call that makes sense for the customers Facebook would want to sell to.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. Some people are absolutely convinced this is essentially a deal with the devil and that everything is ruined.

Well, it kind of is. We don't know how that devil will behave, but the folks at Oculus VR have handed over control of their dream and product in exchange for a huge sum of money.

The end result is that they no longer have control over their destiny.

The product's name is Rift, the direct antithesis of social conventions, maybe Oculus stays, but I don't think they're going to call the consumer version the Rift, they shouldn't have anyway, but now I really don't see it happening.

Oh god. I can just imagine the meeting.

rekameohs

Banned
yeah, but Instagram was big in the culture before Facebook snapped it up. didn't make sense to rebrand. Outside of gaming/electronics circles, Oculus Rift is pretty unknown.

in my mind, if Facebook feels VR will be a vital part of its business, you can bet they'll slap their name on it.
Ok, but a name is just a name. Who cares if it's changed from what you wanted? Oh wait....GAF, see: Wii name reveal.

The point is that Facebook let Instagram continue to run independently after being acquired, so it's not like there's even remotely a precedent of completely changing a company's vision once they become a subsidiary with this company.

tanooki27

Ok, but a name is just a name. Who cares if it's changed from what you wanted? Oh wait....GAF, see: Wii name reveal.

The point is that Facebook let Instagram continue to run independently after being acquired, so it's not like there's even remotely a precedent of completely changing a company's vision once they become a subsidiary.

it's not about what I want. i'm just pointing out the differences between facebook's acquisitions of instagram and oculus.

That's a very good point. Pretty funny how that works. Would be surprised too if they call it the Rift.

Cragvis

Words mean nothing. Nothing said right now by anyone means a damn thing.

All that matters is that the ultimate deciding powers for all things Oculus Rift have moved from Oculus VR to Facebook.

This x 100

FB owns it, they can do whatever they want down the line, people that worked for rift can say what they HOPE happens, but it doesnt matter in the least bit.

StuBurns

Banned
Oh god. I can just imagine the meeting.
Personally, I think this deal is pretty horrible, although I can't blame any parties involved for making it, but I don't think the name means anything. If it's an Oculus Rift, if it's a Facebook Place or whatever, it's irrelevant.

meanspartan

Except we already have quotes from Zuckerberg himself talking about the potential for social integration and ads and such.

Ya, maybe this will end up being a good thing. But given Facebook's history and corporate goals, I have no reason to believe that for now. I hope they prove me wrong. And saying "hurr durr Instagram got bought too and is fine" does nothing. Instagram is already pretty close to Facebook and Twitter in what it does. That purchase made sense. This one doesn't.

I don't blame Luckey for wanting to make a fortune off of his good idea. But why not find a buyer that makes sense? And if there isn't one now for the right price, keep doing what you're doing and someone would have come knocking.

I just don't see how anyone can tell me that the future of the Oculus Rift is in any way better than it was 24 hours ago before we knew about this deal.

Chuck

Still without luck
For those saying Facebook never rebrands stuff, consider this;

Instagram and WhatsApp are massively known products with millions and millions of users. Oculus is a nerd thing which I doubt a million people have ever even heard of.

For those saying Facebook never rebrands stuff, consider this;

Instagram and WhatsApp are massively known products with millions and millions of users. Oculus is a nerd thing which I doubt a million people have ever even heard of.

Which makes you wonder why they bought it. If the answer is "because VR is cool", then they why would they change that?

Mindwipe

Could the OP or a Mod please fix that wrong image in the first post? That isn't what Parker said.

While a denial of this specific fact is nice, the fact it's accompanied by a blatant lie like them supposedly letting Instagram run independently makes it rather suspect.

-griffy-

Banned
I think the Oculus Rift will remain just that. I think they will also develop other hardware for use in applications that aren't related to gaming that may or may not have Facebook branding.

fedexpeon

Banned
This is one of the better buyout from Facebook.
Probably going to be their greatest if they play their hands right.
Also the reason why Sony is spending so much RD into VR as well.
Anyway, they really need to keep the name and make sure the devs are on board with it...but they can say eff them later on though.

They will probably using VR as a way to shop online. Partner up with Amazon, Walmart, Target, ect ect.
Think of all those ads revenue! I would use VR to shop online and try out products, especially clothing, if I have the choice.

Fuck gaming imo if I am FB investors. Just build a bit of the hype from the gamers, then disown the gamers market in the future.
Give Sony the gamer market, and partner up with Sony at a latter point to make sure VR is a mainstream thing for the future.
FB and Sony will own the VR market share for ads revenue.
And for the medical field? Fuck...Sony will be killing it.

Guess Who

Banned
While a denial of this specific fact is nice, the fact it's accompanied by a blatant lie like them supposedly letting Instagram run independently makes it rather suspect.

Instagram hasn't changed in pretty much any significant way since Facebook took over.

Personally, I think this deal is pretty horrible, although I can't blame any parties involved for making it, but I don't think the name means anything. If it's an Oculus Rift, if it's a Facebook Place or whatever, it's irrelevant.

Well, I don't really care either (I'd already made up my mind to go with Morpheus). But when I read your post I could just picture myself sat in the room, with some douchey marketing type saying something like "Yeah, we just don't feel like 'Rift' gels with our core values. We think <insert shit name here> is a better fit with our brand identity". I hate all that corporate crap.

Top Bottom