• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix files trademark for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On the 14th of March, 2014, Square Enix Ltd filed in the United Kingdom a trademark application for "Deus Ex: Mankind Divided". It entered OHIM's database yesterday, on March 27th.

Trade mark information

Name: DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED
Filing number: 012735353
Basis: CTM
Date of receipt: 27/03/2014
Type:Word
Nature: INDIVIDUAL
Nice classes: 9, 16, 41 ( Nice classification )
Vienna classification
Filing date: 27/03/2014
Registration date:
Expiry date:
Designation date:
Filing language: English
Second language: French
Application reference: JR/AM/N31025
Trade mark status: Application under examination
Acquired distinctiveness: No

Goods and services

9 Computer game software; computer games, consisting of computer software; video game software; video games, consisting of computer software; games for mobile phones, consisting of computer software; computer software for computer games, video games and games for mobile phones supplied on line by means of multi-media electronic broadcast or network transmission; publications in electronic form or other data provided by means of multi-media electronic broadcast or network transmission; disks and tapes, DVDs and CD-ROMs pre-recorded with computer game software, video game software, feature film entertainment or other electronic publications.

16 Printed matter; books; educational and training materials; computer game strategy guides; stationery; magazines and periodicals; newssheets; and newsletters; photographs, postcards and posters; comics, comic books, and cartoons.

41 Entertainment services; online entertainment services; online computer game services; computer game services provided remotely by means of the Internet; publishing; information and advisory services in the field of entertainment, computer games and publishing.

Owners

Square Enix Ltd

ID: 4940
Organisation: Square Enix Ltd
Legal: Legal Entity
State/county: n/a
Town: Wimbledon, London
Postcode: SW19 3RU
Address: Wimbledon Bridge House 1 Hartfield Road
Correspondence Address
Square Enix Ltd
Wimbledon Bridge House
1 Hartfield Road
Wimbledon, London SW19 3RU
REINO UNIDO
n/a

Representatives

WILLIAMS POWELL

ID: 14549
Organisation: n/a
Legal: Legal Person
Type: Association
State/county: n/a
Town: London
Postcode: WC1V 7QH
Address: Staple Court 11 Staple Inn Buildings
Correspondence Address
WILLIAMS POWELL
Staple Court
11 Staple Inn Buildings
London WC1V 7QH
REINO UNIDO
00 44-2072427005
00 44-2072427115
n/a
Source: https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/012735353

On October 2 last year, David Anfossi (Head of studio - Eidos Montreal), posted a blog called The Future Vision for Deus Ex. An excerpt which seems to fit rather well with this trademark:

I’m really excited to let you know that we are working on an ambitious idea which we’re calling

dxuniverse_logozwj0u.png

The concept behind Deus Ex: Universe is to create an ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games. It’s a commitment on our part to deliver meaningful content that expands the franchise on a regular basis and to deliver a deep conspiracy that will span several connected Deus Ex games, creating a more immersive and richer experience than ever before. Deus Ex: Universe will include PC and console games, but also additional Deus Ex games and experiences available in other media such as tablets, smartphones, books, graphic novels, etc... You might have seen the name pop up recently in the press – well this is what it’s all about.

I'm pleased to confirm that we are already into production of the starting point for Deus Ex: Universe with a new game for PC and next-generation consoles. We’re very excited about it at the studio and I wanted to let you know that most of the team behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already working hard on this new game. It took us four years to learn how to create a unique Deus Ex experience with Human Revolution and it was important for me to keep this knowledge within the franchise.

I want to leave you with a piece of concept art from our next-gen Deus Ex game that shows trans-humanism segregation, which is a backdrop to our vision for the next Deus Ex. It represents a "ghetto-city' voluntarily built in order to separate the classes. The people in this segregated class have reshaped their environment, nostalgic for their ideal of Cyber Renaissance. This dark and dystopian vision sets the tone for things to come in Deus Ex.

For now, I hope you are excited about the future of this game that we love so much. Deus Ex is coming to next-gen, it’s early so don’t expect to hear much more from us just yet, but I wanted you to know.

I'm very excited as a developer and gamer!
Source: http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blog/Future-Vision-for-Deus-Ex

I have searched thoroughly for this, but Google nor NeoGAF returned nil results. Anyway, there you have it. Reveal at E3 perhaps.

hughesta

Banned
A next gen Deus Ex game would be incredible. Human Revolution was amazing, so I'm not at all concerned about quality, I just want it in my veins! The idea is really cool too.

Cess007

Oh yes please! I loved Human Revolution! And now i'm going through the original one (never played it before), so, all i want is more (good) Deus Ex!!

3bdelilah

Banned
To hype or not to hype, that is the question. DX:HR was my GOTG

Might be another mobile game. Deus Ex Universe seems to be the whole experience, from "real" games to mobile games, comics and whatnot. So I'm not getting hyped until it's announced for pc and consoles.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Please be good please be good please be good.

Please don't shit all over it with handholding, DLC, microtransactions, mobile shit, social media shit, "cinematic experiences", or excessive QTEs.

Marcel

Cautiously optimistic, but I hope the storyline's a little better this time around.

Same. The third act of Human Revolution is extremely messy and lazy. I enjoyed the game's story up to that point so hopefully they won't make the mistake of having a hackneyed conclusion again.

pa22word

To hype or not to hype, that is the question.

Might be another mobile game. Deus Ex Universe seems to be the whole experience, from "real" games to mobile games, comics and whatnot. So I'm not getting hyped until it's announced for pc and consoles.

Might be a mobile game is a pretty big stretch atm.

The trademark is for "Mankind Divided". The caption for the art on their "next gen DX game" is:

It represents a "ghetto-city' voluntarily built in order to separate the classes. The people in this segregated class have reshaped their environment, nostalgic for their ideal of Cyber Renaissance. This dark and dystopian vision sets the tone for things to come in Deus Ex.

So yeah. Unless it's a tie in game then I'd say with pretty much 90% certainty that it's going to be the new mainline DX game.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Hopefully it's a console game and not mobile. Straight into my veins pls.

I´m very intrigued and hopeful on one hand because I loved DE: HR on the WiiU.

...but then there is this nagging fear that haunts me when it comes to modern age Squeenix/ Eidos .

Please be good !

Marcel

If its like that terrible mobile/garbage PC port I'll pass.

This appears to be the initial announcement for a new PS4/XBO/PC title, though I'm sure there will be mobile/smartphone/YA book garbage related to this Deus Ex Universe thing they've cooked up.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
This appears to be the initial announcement for a new PS4/XBO/PC title, though I'm sure there will be mobile/smartphone/YA book garbage related to this Deus Ex Universe thing they've cooked up.

I liked the book :-/

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Same. The third act of Human Revolution is extremely messy and lazy. I enjoyed the game's story up to that point so hopefully they won't make the mistake of having a hackneyed conclusion again.

For me, the bigger issue was that it lacked the scope of the original Deus Ex. Human Revolution basically just felt like a generic action movie plot while the original was, across the board, a bit more... audacious.

It'll probably be a Human Revolution sequel that ties into Deus Ex the original.
But I thought they announced some Human Defiance thing, or was that a movie

GavinUK86

I wonder which choice on the Ending-O-Tron 3000 ended up being canon.

Probably the one where Jensen dies. He wasn't around, as far as we know, during the original Deus Ex. I'd like to think that anyway.

OT, this sounds interesting. Hopefully it amounts to more than a novel, a comic or a mobile game.

Top Bottom