• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If nintendo moved/delayed Zelda U to their next hardware, how would you react?

sphinx

the piano man
Imagine the following scenario.

.- WiiU continues flopping and nintendo wants to release some new home console hardware in Q4 2016
.- Zelda is taking time. they could have all bases covered (Dungeons, siedequests, overworld, improved graphics) if they could release it around the time the WiiU successor is released and not in a hurry, so as to provide WiiU with much needed software.
.- Guaranteed day and date release with the next gen hardware, nice zelda bundles.
.- no WiiU version, at all. No Gamepad function, nothing related to WiiU.
.- Next Hardware is on par with XBO/PS4 and the Zelda game somehow takes advantage of it.
.- asuming trailers blow our minds, It would give tremendous help to position the console in the homes of console gamers from the get go, like TP and Wii.
.- Nintendo's Next-gen hardware is not backwards compatible.
.- time elapsed between Skyward Sword and this new Zelda: 5 Years (2011 and 2016), same amount of time between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

in this case,

would you be pissed? or would you don't care? would you rather have that? what would your reaction be?

Neifirst

That's a lot of conditions, but really, I'll purchase the next mainline Zelda regardless of platform, even if that means forking over $400 for a new system at the same time.

Edit: I'd hope they'd do some more HD remasters for the Wii U in the meantime to make the wait a bit more bearable.

Sendou

I would be like whatever. Not a big deal either way. Still I guess pissing off your fanbase like that isn't the best move so that's why they won't do it.

3bdelilah

Banned
I don't know, man. That would be seriously testing my patience. But if it's all for the better, then in Nintendo we trust. But in that extreme case, surely it would be cross-gen like they did with TP.

Musolf815

I bought a Wii U for the next Zelda so I'd be pretty upset.

That said I'd probably still by the new system for Zelda. But a lot of complaining would be had beforehand.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointed, and I'd be really wary of buying Nintendo products in the future if they would do stuff like that.

Into

Thrilled and excited for their next hardware

No need to release a potentially great game on a dead system, better to look long term and build a good foundation for their next console

Nintendo should probably sit on Zelda for a while. I love the franchise, and I really enjoyed ALBW, but it took me a little over 15 hours to complete. That's less than half the time it took me to complete OOT 3D.

I don't own a Wii U so I guess my view is invalid anyways.

MavFan619

Banned

That said I'd probably still by the new system for Zelda. But a lot of complaining would be had beforehand.
Same I skipped the Wii, but bought a Wii U for new Zelda and not much more. Would be bummed if it didn't happen.

I'd be kinda indifferent, I suppose. I'd want it now, but I imagine it won't be done for a while anyway.

I think I'd be more upset if they delay Smash Bros for the next hardware.

Kriken

I'd be upset to say the least, keep some idea of Zelda U on Wii U and make the next game in the series on a stronger platform. Also it's be the first Nintendo home console w/o a Zelda game which I don't believe that

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It's not going to happen.

But since you ask how we would react, in a scenario like that I wouldn't really care since I'll buy it eventually anyway.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
If the new console is going to be out in the next two years, it could be a smart choice to boost sales.
Alternately, they could give the next Zelda to a different developer now, like Retro, while still releasing Zelda U.
But they won't, because Nintendo.

Hmm. Guess it would be a good thing as the Wii U is on life support. But the next system would have to be quite a bit better than PS4/Xbone or it will be in the same predicament as the Wii U.

Coolwhip

Banned
This would be my response

ani-chuck_norris-thumbs_up.gif

(I'm starting to do gif replies :/ )

Fox Mulder

It would make sense, but why couldn't they do a dual release like twilight princess?

they wouldn't even have to print discs and sell it on the wiiu eshop if they want.

It was one of the titles I bought a Wii U for so I would be upset, but understanding at the same time. I'd just hope the Wii U would have a few titles coming out between then so it wouldn't feel like an undervalued purchase.

Pretty much how I feel as well. I mainly bought my Wii U for the future releases of X and Zelda U (Mario/Mario Kart games are a fun distraction), so... I'd be a little bit upset if that happened.

sphinx

the piano man
So as the topic creator, I'll now answer my question.

I don't own a WiiU, but if I did, I'd still want them to release Zelda on next-gen hardware. I mean, they ARE going to take their sweet long ass time with this Zelda and it's not going to appear on shelves anytime soon so I rather have it use more modern hardware.

If their current system is dead now, I can't imagine how "deader" it will be by 2016.

Why not breathe instant life into their next hardware? I want Zelda right now, like anyone else but I think I rather have a successful nintendo console, that guarantees more life to all of their series.

if they release Zelda only for it to sell miserably like almost all off the WiiU software, then I'd rather keep the series away from that cursed hardware.

I stopped being crazy about Zelda a while ago as TP/SS have been disappointing, so I don't know, I care more about their other IPs.

As a Wii U owner, I think I wouldn't mind.

duckroll

I would be pretty happy with it. I don't think the WiiU has a future, and it would make the most sense to put a major title like that on a platform which at least has a chance to engage with a large mainstream audience. I love Zelda, so I wouldn't want to see it suffer the fate of recent Mario games, being used as further examples of how dead the WiiU is. :(

DJ_Lae

Disappointed.

Even if they went the Twilight Princess route, which annoyed me a LOT at the time. Delay the Gamecube version to push Wiis and also remove proper widescreen from the Gamecube release too.

And then don't include any sort of option for gamepad controls in the Wii version. There is still no definitive version of Twilight Princess because both the Wii and Gamecube versions are crippled in some way.

Owzers

i'd hope their next console tanks and i'd feed my PS4 a slice of pizza as a reward for actually having games.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I would be disappointed that I would have to buy the Wii U successor just to play it, unless they pull a Twilight Princess.

But I really doubt they would do that.

i'd hope their next console tanks and i'd feed my PS4 a slice of pizza as a reward for actually having games.

What the hell?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd be fine because it means it's coming eventually, but the Wii U cemented my disinterest in ever getting a Nintendo system at launch again unless I've got the money to blow at the time or they present a convincing argument that they've sorted their shit out. I'll get next console Zelda eventually, in some form and on some platform. Whatever it is, it is.

I don't think it'll happen, mind you, but I guess it's possible. Wii U is a total disaster and I don't think it's salvageable, and I think the incentive to invest in expensive software is just going to get lower and lower. There's only so much money you can burn before you realise you're spending a lot of money on games that will struggle to make its money back and move a systems off shelves.

I guess we'll wait and see.

That was me until A Link Between Worlds happened. Now I deeply care about the franchise.

I loved ALBW, but they need to prove that they will translate what made that game so awesome on consoles.

TP/SS have been a mess imo, slow games that don't even end up being rewarding to finish.

It's what they should do and I own a Wii U. It's a terrible system that Nintendo sent out to die. There's no defense for how terrible the company has handled every single facet of the Wii U. From the tablet to the hardware capabilities to the software to the lack of getting third parties on board. The system ranks right up there with the Wii as the worst Nintendo has put out. I want a truly next get Zelda and if that means it gets pushed back for a truly next gen piece of Nintendo hardware, I'm for it.

Top Bottom