• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon FireTV Announced and Released [$99 box, $40 controller, game capable STB]

RiggyRob

I'm guessing that they didn't say when it'd be released in the UK and at what price? Having recently got my mum a Kindle Fire HDX for Christmas, this might make a pretty good birthday present...

Somnid

Market saturation for these kinds of devices is getting absurd, especially when consoles and PCs also have this functionality built in; but with many other features also.

But they are 3x to 5x the price. If you don't care about graphical shooty games why pay all that money?

Also I'm kinda glad it doesn't have an HDMI cable, just like most things I wish didn't have micro-USB cables. It's super standard, I'm drowning in them.

Bumhead

Banned
Controller reminds me a lot of the OnLive one.

Interested to see how Apple react to this in terms of the Apple TV refresh. I mean we are well overdue expecting them to activate the App store on that thing. Is there any clue or indication as to when they might reveal that?

Surprised to see them take so many pot shots at Microsoft and the Xbox One though. Someone said it in the conference thread but Microsoft's slightly misguided and misjudged emphasis on TV for a $499 box, rather than being a games console, is really leaving them open and exposed. Amazon are standing strong and going for them with that and I think Apple (amongst others) will join them.

tensuke

Alright, after thinking it over, I've reconciled with my purchase decision. I firmly believe that this will become better than the Ouya because of Amazon's help. The controller support may be lacking since it doesn't come standard with the device, and that may impact game support overall, but I think it will be a worthwhile investment and I'm excited to see what Amazon brings to the table. All those jabs at MS (Gold paywall, voice search that works) have to mean something, right? Bring on the games, Amazon!

marrec

Banned
So one thing I wasn't clear on, are the games going to be curated specifically for the Amazon Box or will you just be able to DL anything on the Android Fire store?

So, essentially, a more powerful, far less customizable Ouya? And missing Google Play presumably (I want my android games/emus!)?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Serious question

If you own an iOS or Android device why wouldn't you buy a device that actually integrates with the devices you already own?

daveo42

Banned
But why do you buy this thing for Minecraft? Almost everything plays Minecraft now.

The 2nd half of my first sentence makes that claim. Full Minecraft only makes a difference if there are people out there whose only experience is the mobile version.

styl3s

They should of put the controller in with the set for $100.

It's $140 + tax (if you live in a amazon tax state) if you want the "complete" package which that would be the only reason to get it IMO. Streaming wise i have like 16 devices that can stream all of this stuff and 4 of them are constantly hooked up to my TV. I mean, they don't even offer the full google play store which sucks if you want android games because have you seen the android game selection that Amazon has to offer? Yeah, it's gotten better since the first kindle fire released but it's still a pretty awful selection.

I would of impulse bought this if it came with the controller for $100. $150 is too much, i can go buy a PS3 for $150 and have a vast library of better games and stream most of this inducing HBO GO which this doesn't have. It's a nice first attempt and i am sure it will sell just like those kindle fires sell but like a lot of tech savvy people i don't really need a another set top box.

So, essentially, a more powerful, far less customizable Ouya? And missing Google Play presumably (I want my android games/emus!)?
I would be fucking flabbergasted if Amazon allowed the google play store on it.

It's very interesting that amazon mentions their product does not have HBO GO while acknowledging the other devices do. I wonder why that was included in that comparison chart.

As for the device, this sounds like what I thought the Apple TV would have been by now. I'm liking this.

Dunlop

Fairly underwhelming after all the hype.

Was holding off on the announcement before picking up a Roku 3 to replace a Chromecast I am having an issue with.

If I was in the US it would still be interesting, but as a Canadian definitely not worth for me with the hassle it would take to procure one.

Interesting to see what kind of push this will give Android gaming

Vinc

I can see this taking off. It's the first time one of those "microconsoles" sound interesting to me. I think this has mainstream appeal.

Somnid

So one thing I wasn't clear on, are the games going to be curated specifically for the Amazon Box or will you just be able to DL anything on the Android Fire store?

Sounds like both. FireTV games expect a controller whereas the phone game compatibility function will be handled through a tablet/phone app coming later.

Josh7289

Serious question

If you own an iOS or Android device why wouldn't you buy a device that actually integrates with the devices you already own?

Because Google hasn't released their box yet and Apple TV isn't as good as this Amazon box yet. I'm sure that later this year both Google and Apple will have stronger competition for Amazon. Anyway, people will have a lot of choice in this market segment, which is fine.

Chairhome

May get this to replace my older generation Roku in the kids' playroom. I think we may cut cable when freetime unlimited launches...

t_feature_sevzero_img1_480x502._V340499934_.jpg

No one will ever play like that. That hand is wishing both analog sticks were at the bottom.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hardware:
-SOC Platform: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8064
-Processor: Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
-GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 320
-Storage: 8 GB internal
-RAM: 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ

So, I bit weaker than the Shield, pending on clock speeds. Kinda disappointed by this.

Guevara

Pocket edition of Minecraft? No sale.

I still think this has the potential to be huge. Especially in a few years. Seems like a very solid start today though.

I don't really see the point of this. I mean, most people either have streaming through their tv, other hardware, or a games console. As far as gaming goes, most people that don't already have a last/current gen games console probably won't want to buy this just for the games. So...who is this targeted for?

Kerned

Banned
I have to be honest, I had zero interest until I saw the price. I'm still not saying I necessarily want one, but $100-$140 is definitely impulse buy territory.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm looking forward to playing Halo, Gears and Uncharted on this thing.

Thanks Gameloft.

SmokyDave

I really hope this nudges Apple into giving the next Apple TV native app support. I love the look of this thing but I'm balls deep in the iOS ecosystem.

Serious question

Amazon's store runs on Android and a lot of people get their software from it (they have a lot more sales and they have free versions of paid apps that rotate regularly). Not to mention a lot of people already have kindle fires. It's not unbelievable that a lot of people with android devices will still fit into Amazon's ecosystem.

That said, I'll wait till they hack google's store onto it.

How powerful is the GPU ?, at first glance it looks like it could be more powerful than WiiU lol...

This is a dumb statement and you should feel very bad about it. The Adreno 320 used in this box is a typical cell phone graphics chip. On par with my year old phone.

Renzoku

Banned
Who is this for?

If you have a dedicated console, the multimedia component doesn't seem that appealing.
If you have a mobile phone, you've got the games on that already, and if Ouya is any indication, people don't really want to play those mobile games on large screens.

If you're someone who doesn't game at all, and wants a set top box, Chromecast is cheaper, and less invasive, and almost all TVs going forward have apps built-in at this point.

Coolwhip

Banned
I don't really see the point of this. I mean, most people either have streaming through their tv, other hardware, or a games console. As far as gaming goes, most people that don't already have a last/current gen games console probably won't want to buy this just for the games. So...who is this targeted for?

Apps in most tvs are slow and terrible. So for those people.

Man

Clearly the go to choice of set-top boxes. It has pretty much everything one would want at a Good impulse price.

Top Bottom