• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon FireTV Announced and Released [$99 box, $40 controller, game capable STB]

Raw64life

That controller

30579379.png

From the other trhread:-

Microsoft fans are being shortsighted here.

With devices like this and a refreshed Apple Tv on the horzion, Microsoft have to fall back on their core strengths:- Games.

The only device (PC isnt a device, its an ecosystem before you start),that can compete with Xbox One is the PS4 and obviously there are still unique experiences to that device.

What I get from this conference is what we have been saying all along :- the all in one media device concept will never work because there will always be companies that can match that functionality for far cheaper and iterate far faster.

Remember this is only the first FireTv. By the end of the X1s life cycle we could legitimately be on FireTv 4 or 5. Microsoft just cannot keep up with that speed of hardware innovation. No console can.

Likewise Smart Tvs are improving all the time, We have wireless HDMI now, Tablets are improving, smartphones are improving etc...both the Consoles are stuck at the same fixed point hardware wise.

Its time to give up the TV dream, reengginer the X1s interface so it works better with a controller and start selling a Kinectless sku.

styl3s

It's an additional $6 and is a super silly exclusion for it... Amazon should have just eaten the extra couple dollars.
It's absurd to me that anyone would sell a set top box or any kind of TV media device and not include a HDMI cable.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Because Google hasn't released their box yet and Apple TV isn't as good as this Amazon box yet. I'm sure that later this year both Google and Apple will have stronger competition for Amazon. Anyway, people will have a lot of choice in this market segment, which is fine.

Again this box has ZERO integration with the devices you already own.

Besides the Gaming Ouya like stuff why would you buy a device that doesn't integrate with the devices you already own?

Apple TV full integrates with iOS devices and Chromecast does much of the same with Android and even Chrome the browser on your desktop/laptop.

If you are one of the millions of people with an iOS or Android phone/tablet why would you buy a device that doesn't integrate with what you already own?

Opiate

Not as excited as I once was, but still interested. If anyone has the muscle and budget to do an Android games console, Amazon would be at or near the top. I just want to see console-quality games, and I now am seeing that this probably won't be the case.

What do you mean by "console quality games," precisely? I think many of these games could be very good.

Reallink

As I was saying in the closed thread, last-gen S4 class SoC @ $99, $40 controller, no HDMI cable, this is much more expensive than anyone would have expected for Amazon hardware. I'd have guessed they'd move these kind of specs at $49 for just the box or maybe $99 bundled with the controller. They are after all competing on some level with the frequently $25 - $30 Chromecast.

Dolor

The 2nd half of my first sentence makes that claim. Full Minecraft only makes a difference if there are people out there whose only experience is the mobile version.

But I would argue that it's not that hard to find the full version either unless you are talking about mobile only gamers to start with which you are :)...

Hattori

Banned
I'll get it if they bundle a years worth of prime, other than that it's just a "me-too" product and I have enough STBs.

jacobeid

Banned
I can see this doing well with current and future Prime subscribers. I might be an exception though as I see no reason for ANOTHER box in my rig.

Coolwhip

Banned
What do you mean by "console quality games," precisely? I think many of these games could be very good.

$100 million budgets! Some people are so short sighted if they think gaming with a 400-500 dollar box is the only way to go on your tv.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So I take it you'll be able to add more storage via the USB port then?

RiggyRob

I'd guess the UK may be a fair few months away. They would have to tailor services to match UK services. Not sure how easy that would be

iPlayer, ITVPlayer and 4oD would be great.

I agree with what most people are saying, it should come with a year's worth of Amazon Prime free to get people hooked.

clem84

Gold Member
My gaming time is limited so if I'm to invest in a gaming machine it's a much safer choice to go for XB1 or PS4, because of specs, game selection, future support.

The games will be the deciding factor. If this thing gets enough compelling software further down the road, I may get it.

From the other trhread:-

very true, that is why sony is really doing the intelligent thing and focusing on games which is the direction Microsoft is gunning for as well, I think what Microsoft unique aspect was, was them trying to create their own type of shows...but they really should just be invigorating the gaming market.

rbanke

So it looks to be very similar to a roku but with a tad more game focus.

That app comparison list is incorrect, I have Pandora on my rokus. Might pick one up and retire one of the roku 2's I have.

Edit: I just noticed no Vudu on that list. That's my ultraviolet player so this is a no buy until they have it.

McHuj

I guess I'm not feeling this at all. While a $99 console is appealing, I can't imagine that there are many people clamoring for this from a gaming perspective. I think people who like those $1-2 experiences will continue to do so on their mobile devices, and not really give a damn about this.

There's a big developer crowd here. Look here for info on getting your stuff on the FireTV:

https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/solutions/devices/fire-tv

Amazon Fire TV supports user input from the Amazon Fire TV remote, the Amazon Fire game controller, and other game controllers that support the Bluetooth HID gamepad profile. All controllers must be paired with the device to be used.

I don't know what controllers that covers but it should be use to someone.

clem84

Gold Member
I'm surprised at the negative controller comments. I think it looks very comfortable and the functionalities are all there. Looks promising if you ask me.

Because Google hasn't released their box yet and Apple TV isn't as good as this Amazon box yet. I'm sure that later this year both Google and Apple will have stronger competition for Amazon. Anyway, people will have a lot of choice in this market segment, which is fine.

I doubt Google will release a box at all. They pretty clearly seemed to have been betting on getting in the living room with Chromecast.

I don't know what controllers that covers but it should be use to someone.

Oh snap! PS4 controller compatibility and hopefully support for that touchpad. It'll be perfect for the lazy phone ports that need touch controls.

Opiate

wow controller sold separately, I guess gaming is secondary for this device.

I think they're taking the iPhone approach; just as iOS games are certainly enough for most handheld/portable gamers (outside a dedicated core of gamers who want a traditional handheld). Amazon is hoping that something like this is enough for most console/TV gamers (again, outside a dedicated core of traditionalists).

It doesn't mean they're right, but it's not a silly proposition.

Raistlin

It's an additional $6 and is a super silly exclusion for it... Amazon should have just eaten the extra couple dollars.
A few years ago I'd say yes.

At this point though, why bother? Most people have an extra cable laying around. Eating even a couple bucks on a product that will sell at the level this should is millions of dollars.

Talamius

It's a Roku that's more game friendly. That's not a bad thing.

I know HBO Go is coming, but what about WWE Network?

Nzyme32

The gaming side seems like an exact copy of OnLive, the controller looks exactly the same and it's streaming games, except the games won't be as good.

They have only announced native games so far, however, I'm sure streaming games and apps is on the cards from all the info that has been talked of. If I recall correctly CCP believe that their system may replace downloads in the distant future, so it certainly sounds like something to seriously keep an eye on

Top Bottom