• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon FireTV Announced and Released [$99 box, $40 controller, game capable STB]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
FireTV: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CX5P8FC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
FireTV Controller: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DU0ZI8Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Info:
-$99 system
-$40 controller (comes with $10 in Amazon credit to spend on games and a free copy of Sev Zero)
-Runs Amazon's version of Android
-It's like a Roku or Apple TV but it also plays games, so think the Ouya as a basic concept here
-Publishers like EA, 2K, Ubisoft, Gameloft, Disney, Double Fine, and Telltale are on board (with their mobile games presumably)
-Minecraft and Asphalt were demoed
-Thousands of apps/games available soon
-If you've ever said "this mobile/tablet game would be great, but I want physical controls and tv output" then this device is for you
-If you were hoping for a PS4 competitor, this device isn't for you

Hardware:
-SOC Platform: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8064
-Processor: Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
-GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 320
-Storage: 8 GB internal
-RAM: 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ

First Party Game Trailers:
Montage (6+ Games): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVLhqj1weY
Sev Zero (Launch Title): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXI898kyBgM
There's a separate thread here for the games if you prefer: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795140

Pictures:

feature-techspecs-popup.jpg

t_technical_headline-img1_1090x365._V340352903_.jpg

t_feature_sevzero_img1_480x502._V340499934_.jpg

SyUY4J3.jpg

VwkzLbf.png

When someone hacks Google play store onto it, I'll consider it a lot more. Too much software I have that I refuse to rebuy.

Are people seriously bitching about an hdmi cable not included with a product sold by Amazon through Amazon? You do realize they sell lots of things on amazon.com, including their very own, low cost, solid quality HDMI cables right? Oh look at that, the second you add it to your cart it prompts you with Amazon brand HDMI cable options, so you can get one suited for your needs. Jesus, people pick the silliest things to nit pick about.

Dolor

From last thread. No standard controller means the gaming side of this is dead unless they have tons of exclusives.

I wouldn't count on it...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looking forward to seeing the games in action.

Are people seriously bitching about an hdmi cable not included with a product sold by Amazon through Amazon? You do realize they sell lots of things on amazon.com, including their very own, low cost, solid quality HDMI cables right? Oh look at that, the second you add it to your cart it prompts you with Amazon brand HDMI cable options, so you can get one suited for your needs. Jesus, people pick the silliest things to nit pick about.

It's an additional $6 and is a super silly exclusion for it... Amazon should have just eaten the extra couple dollars.

marrec

Banned
Isn't it a bit disingenuous to compare this to the Chromecast? I mean... they're very different devices with some similar use cases.

Paskil

Minecraft Pocket Edition is hot garbage. This is pretty much a more feature rich Ouya, with better app/game support. It will definitely have a niche market, but I don't really see this being the next PS2 or Wii, saleswise.

Zabant

Market saturation for these kinds of devices is getting absurd, especially when consoles and PCs also have this functionality built in; but with many other features also.

daveo42

Banned
From last thread. No standard controller means the gaming side of this is dead unless they have tons of exclusives.

Minecraft might help their gaming side a bit, but I think those interested in Minecraft already have it in one form or another. A full fledged version of the game might make a difference though.

RiggyRob

It only really needs Minecraft, the others (e.g. The Walking Dead, Sonic, Rayman, Terraria) are bonuses.

Brokun

Does it support Netflix? If so I want this. Its perfect for my main floor living room (all my consoles are in the basement setup).

Edit: it does, but no crunchyroll. Hmmm.

Any word on how many co-op games are available? That could be a selling factor I could use with my wife (Hey babe, we can play game X and Y together!)

Liamc723

The gaming side seems like an exact copy of OnLive, the controller looks exactly the same and it's streaming games, except the games won't be as good.

Dolor

Minecraft might help their gaming side a bit, but I think those interested in Minecraft already have it in one form or another. A full fledged version of the game might make a difference though.

It only really needs Minecraft, the others (e.g. The Walking Dead, Sonic, Rayman, Terraria) are bonuses.

But why do you buy this thing for Minecraft? Almost everything plays Minecraft now.

Carl

I don't think "difficulty in finding one" is th reason people are complaining about it. Should be included.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Controller sold separately?

Amazon, you made a huge mistake.

You can use your iPad or Kindle as a controller.

At least the dedicated controller is wireless, and you can use up to four connected to the system. AA batteries are a disappointment.

VanWinkle

Not as excited as I once was, but still interested. If anyone has the muscle and budget to do an Android games console, Amazon would be at or near the top. I just want to see console-quality games, and I now am seeing that this probably won't be the case.

If it's the same price as Apple TV then I don't know how this will sell. The only reason kindle sells as much as it does it cause it's so cheap.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good, but I wouldn't use it for gaming. I really like the voice search. That is something I was expecting Apple to add to Apple TV with their Siri technology.

Top Bottom