• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew's open world is bigger than GTA V, Red Dead, Forza Horizon+ more combined

5,000 sq km

To put things into perspective, The Crew’s Creative Director Julian Gerighty presented us with an overview of the map during my visit to Ivory Tower showing how its size compares to other worlds in familiar free-roaming games.

Staggeringly, it revealed that The Crew's open world is bigger than Grand Theft Auto V’s Los Santos, Red Dead Redemption’s Wild West, Forza Horizon’s Colorado, Need for Speed Rival’s Redview County, Far Cry 3’s tropical island and Skyrim combined. All of these worlds were shown tucked neatly inside The Crew's US map, which makes you appreciate the scale of the world you’ll be exploring.

“In terms of size, our New York is about the same size as Liberty City in GTA IV,” Julian explains. “But on top of that we’ve got Chicago, Detroit, St Louis, Miami, Dallas, Las Vegas, Seattle, San Francisco and all of these cities - I insisted on including Detroit because of the heart of Motor City. But it’s not just these cities: it’s everything in-between. So it’s a very big game.”

Heres some gameplay footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YzWkNIZHCs

http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comm...d-Dead-Forza-Horizon-NFS-Rivals-more-combined

hawk2025

This kind of thing simply does not impress me at all.

Show me how you will use the extra size to produce meaningful, varied content, then I'll listen.

It's not really trying to do the same thing but I guess it works for a very very basic size comparison?

Anyways was slightly excited by this game near original reveal but always-online and pay-to-win/skip means no buy from me

SJRB

Gold Member
So can you drive around in that entire area endlessly or is it just a string of races guiding you through the map?

Certinty

Apparently no two places are similar either from what they've said.

I would usually say it's too good to be true, but when you look at the history of the devs it really isn't. Crazy talented team assembled for this game.

Dinjooh

So can you drive around in that entire area endlessly or is it just a string of races guiding you through the map?

You can drive around the entirety of it. The vast majority of content will be in or around the cities though.

Mr. F

Banned
To me this is the same as them claiming Watch_Dogs takes 60 hours or whatever the huge number was. Doesn't matter if it still sucks.

wildfire

Banned

Show me how you will use the extra size to produce meaningful, varied content, then I'll listen.

This is a game revolving around racing and performance driving. I would hold the same criticisms you do if it was an RPG without a robust economic system but this isn't the type of game where every square inch of the game needs something goal oriented and interactive like Shenmue or Skyrim.

size only matters in relation to traversal speed. So I don't think it's fair to directly compare Skyrim to crew. So "How long to traverse" is a slightly better value.

In any case, it sounds rather large for a driving game.

Friction

This makes sense. How are they going to charge for fast travel microtransactions otherwise?

On topic. This does sound excellent if they can fill the space.

Ploid 3.0

When you see what Just Cause 2's huge open world actually consists of, it's not much to brag about.

I know there's tricks to it but I still love that it's friggin huge. Especially since you can fly in it. JC2 MP makes good use of the space, everyone is usually out to steal your ride in it usually.

This actually looks much improved, new York looks pretty good.
But microtransactions and me not being a racing game guy mean that I'll pass.

jbw

Banned
This thread should come with a sound effect that goes something like...

BWWWWOOOOWWWW.

To represent it's hugeness.

v1lla21

But how much do I have to pay to unlock every place?

Will watch video when I get home. I'm a still a little interested even after the announcement of micro transactions. The thirst for racing on PS4 is real.

EGOMON

It doesn't matter when you only can see 8 racers at a time. This game went from Day 1 to No Thanks for me it really saddens me i was looking forward to it :(

Zacxx201

Banned
Sounds pretty cool, but I refuse to support devs that include any form of microtransactions in their $60 game.
Pass.

Big area != Quality
No, but if the driving model is solid there is nothing else like just free roam driving for hours on end all while seeing interesting and changing scenery the whole time. Test Drive Unlimited 1 and 2 really did offer something unique.

But yeah, the driving model has to be solid to fully enjoy those expanses.

Acccent

size only matters in relation to traversal speed. So I don't think it's fair to directly compare Skyrim to crew. So "How long to traverse" is a slightly better value.

In any case, it sounds rather large for a driving game.

Like 60 to 90 minutes to go from one coast to another, on highways, with a good car

DJ88

That actually intrigues me, if, the driving is actually fun. I also wonder how accurate the city modeling is, I wanna drive around my home city and find where I live. Plus teaming up with friends online and just driving cross country sounds fun. Still skeptical though, I'll wait to see the impressions once it's out.

MercuryLS

Banned
Ubisoft their their open world dick waving again. Will there be anything meaningful to do in the world or will it be filled with boring busy work?

The Llama

Its a racing game though, not some sort of RPG. Bigger is definitely appreciated for the type of game they're making.

hawk2025

It's a racing game.

It still needs proper and varied track/environment design.

Its a racing game though, not some sort of RPG. Bigger is definitely appreciated for the type of game they're making.

Can't say I agree. "Bigger" requires that the paths and "tracks", along with the environments, are designed carefully and towards making the racing and driving around fun.

Pop

Like 60 to 90 minutes to go from one coast to another, on highways, with a good car

Damn that, seems like I would give up after 5 mins and wanna go do something else haha. Should make that a trophy just to piss people off.

Game sounds great to me.

Bigger than Fuel's?
Bigger then Daggerfall's?

5000 sq km = 1930 sq miles. Much smaller than Daggerfall

uBWCz.jpg

The Llama

It still needs proper and varied track/environment design.

Can't say I agree. "Bigger" requires that the paths and "tracks", along with the environments, are designed carefully and towards making the racing and driving around fun.

It it was a sim like GT, sure, they do need to carefully design them. I'm sure there will be enough variation and "hidden" paths to keep it interesting though, at least from the bits we've seen.

Regardless, I'm probably not buying this anyway due to all the other negativity around it.

Top Bottom