• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Footage of the Cancelled Darth Maul Star Wars Game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxlOoS4NmIA

Another victim of the Disney acquisition.

http://nintendoeverything.com/cancelled-darth-maul-game-started-out-as-a-nintendo-exclusive/

Some time after the release of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, Nintendo and LucasArts were discussing the possibility of creating a new intellectual property for Wii, 3DS, or Wii U. Game Informer reports in its latest issue that the negotiations led to a Darth Maul game.

Red Fly began handling prototype work in 2010 under the code name “Damage”. Ultimately, the project became a multiplatform release and shifted development to the Wii U, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC “due largely to Nintendo not meeting financial demands to make it a first-party project.”

As for the game itself, Red Fly’s original idea was to create a title that would explore the origin story of Maul’s transformation into a Sith Lord. A number of ideas were considered such as creating a title focusing on stealth and action. George Lucas also stepped in at one point and changed the project’s direction, resulting in a story that would have Darth Maul and Darth Talon facing off against Darth Krayt and his Sith army.

Several prototypes later, LucasArts felt that Red Fly was in a position to create the project. LucasArts also considered the possibility of purchasing the studio.

Sadly, in June 2011, LucasArts ceased its communications for unspecified reasons and eventually sent out a letter stating that the game had been terminated. Red Fly Studios did manage to continue on despite Darth Maul’s cancellation and lack of funding, though the team did end up having to lay off about 70 percent of its staffers.

bfwings55

Nintendo exclusive? Damn...

The footage looked eh but I'm assuming it's like alpha footage. Who knows, could have turned out bad.

sakipon

“due largely to Nintendo not meeting financial demands to make it a first-party project."

It's too late for this game, but Nintendo! Use some of that money. An exclusive Star Wars game could be pretty great.

edited: Meaning it would be fully designed for the system's features.

Eggbok

So they just had a Darth Maul game but there was no point or story too it? Supposedly an origin story but not quite? And there were Clones in the footage. They could have made the game based on
Maul doing missions for Sidious after being captured in the Clone Wars.
Would be completely awesome.

TCRS

Banned
finally a 3rd person star wars action game. and they cancel it. fucking george man, fucking george.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Probably important to look at the studio developing the title before getting upset about this being cancelled.

TCRS

Banned
I can't believe we couldn't get a great SW game last generation. We've spent 7-8 years in a wasteland.

still blows my mind. xbox/ps2/gc era:

- Kotor I
- Kotor II
- Jedi Knight II
- Jedi Knight III
- Rogue Squadron II
- Rogue Squadron III
- Battlefront
- Battlefront II

last gen: force unleashed and lego crap.

mcfrank

still blows my mind. xbox/ps2/gc era:

- Kotor I
- Kotor II
- Jedi Knight II
- Jedi Knight III
- Rogue Squadron II
- Battlefront
- Battlefront II

last gen: force unleashed and lego crap.

And sw kinect.

Though I will say TOR was pretty good (though I think I am in the minority thinking that)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This looks exactly like Force Unleashed 2.

In the interview they said that there were dismemberments and decapitations unlike TFU but they were like that in TFU2.

murgo

Wish I hadn't watched the footage. Now I'm sad :(
Even if EA/Disney bring it back, they'll find a way to fuck it up.

Beelzebubs

Was going to post this a few days ago but quite a few of the youtube comments said it was a mod for Force Unleashed and couldn't verify anything.

Paskil

Unless I'm missing something, this had nothing to do with the Disney acquisition. This was canceled in 2011, Disney purchased the Star Wars rights in 2013.

unbias

Unless I'm missing something, this had nothing to do with the Disney acquisition. This was canceled in 2011, Disney purchased the Star Wars rights in 2013.

That is when the purchase happened, but a sale that big probably took at least a year and a half to get ready to sell.

Why are we blaming Disney for it? Nintendo was getting an exclusive Star Wars title and they fucked it up by not paying up. That's where I see the blame. This is why I can't trust Nintendo in knowing wtf they're doing.

Top Bottom