• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion Day One Patch - Increases res on X1, improves F.R on PS4

Bsigg12

Easy.... Then don't certify it gold...... Only certify gold when the game is ready for the general public to consume without a day 1 patch. It's ridiculous.

Welcome to next gen where 90% of all games will have a day one patch. Enjoy your stay!

saunderez

Maybe call it bronze or silver the day 1 patch brings in the gold. But yeah back in the day of cartridge consoles you only had one shot and it will forever be version 1.0
And games still had bugs. They always have. They had them before the internet could deliver patches, I remember the mess that some of my favourite games were. Fallout 2 is the example that jumps out at me, I had no internet and it had a stupid amount of bugs. Disappearing car boot, disappearing front end of car. That was a lot of fun. Not.

Hubble

So you want games to be delayed for an indeterminate amount to of time rather than just be playing them. Got it. Hope you like waiting, preannounced release dates will be a thing of the past in your world. There would still be bugs in the product after your delay, can't possibly catch everything in testing with games as complex as they are these days.

If this happened, then the management team failed at their job. They failed to determine the production schedule and how long the game would take to be ready.

So yes, delaying a game until its ready is no big deal to wait. Many consumers do not even have the internet and it is quite alienating and unfair even if you do. Products are delayed all the time.

Maybe call it bronze or silver the day 1 patch brings in the gold. But yeah back in the day of cartridge consoles you only had one shot and it will forever be version 1.0

Good idea and makes much sense. If developers failed to reach their release date and requires a day 1 patch, then its content is obviously not meant for final press to the public e.g., certified gold as the definition. It can be called bronze or silver.

saunderez

If this happened, then the management team failed at their job. They failed to determine the production schedule and how long the game would take to be ready.

So yes, delaying a game until its ready is no big deal to wait. Many consumers do not even have the internet and it is quite alienating and unfair even if you do. Products are delayed all the time.
Well games have never been completely bug free, so you're chasing something that has never happened, and I guess every developer ever has had a failure of a management team releasing a buggy product .Even the most basic arcade games had bugs, the kill screen being the most famous of all. You should be thankful bugs can be patched at all, when I was growing up they weren't and you just lived with your broken game.

Metfanant

can you provide me with any actual evidence to suggest that a significant number of PS4/Xbone owners cant connect to the net?

Good idea and makes much sense. If developers failed to reach their release date and requires a day 1 patch, then its content is obviously not meant for final press to the public e.g., certified gold as the definition. It can be called bronze or silver.

id rather a company go gold and continue working on their product to make it better instead of just sending out a broken product and forgetting about it...

using your criteria most games would never be done considering coding can ALWAYS be improved or optimized, even if just very minutely...

The Last of Us has some pretty bad frame rate issues on the PS3...which Naughty Dog never released a patch to improve...is that better than a developer working hard to improve things and releasing a patch??...

would you rather them sit on the patch till a month after release so it just looks like a "normal" update?...i commend the developers for continuing to work hard after achieving gold certification to provide me with the best day 1 experience possible...

Hubble

Well games have never been completely bug free, so you're chasing something that has never happened, and I guess every developer ever has had a failure of a management team releasing a buggy product .Even the most basic arcade games had bugs, the kill screen being the most famous of all. You should be thankful bugs can be patched at all, when I was growing up they weren't and you just lived with your broken game.

I understand. There is no such thing as a bug free game but a line needs to be drawn. Stuff like this where the resolution is a major difference of 12.5% better with a day 1 patch or in examples like Battlefield 4 where the game is unplayable should not be certified 'gold'. Examples like this show the game is not ready for the general public. If its minor bugs where the public can still consume the content without a major hindrance to the game itself, then sure, but must be under tough scrutiny.

Massa

I understand. There is no such thing as a bug free game but a line needs to be drawn. Stuff like this where the resolution is a major difference of 12.5% better with a day 1 patch or in examples like Battlefield 4 where the game is unplayable should not be certified 'gold'. Examples like this show the game is not ready for the general public. If its minor bugs where the public can still consume the content without a major hindrance to the game itself, then sure, but must be under tough scrutiny.

The gold pressed version of this game is fully playable regardless of resolution so your line of argument makes no sense whatsoever.

saunderez

I agree that unplayable games should not be released. But as others have said this isn't really the case with Trials Fusion. It is playable as is, if not optimal.

Hubble

The gold pressed version of this game is fully playable regardless of resolution so your line of argument makes no sense whatsoever.

Yes, it's playable but do you understand what certified gold means or when it's 'ready for press' with newspapers and print the day of? It means when it's ready for the public. Clearly a big resolution change as this meant this game was not ready for the public, well the XO version anyway, so by principle, it was not gold when it was certified.

Metfanant

the resolution change on the Xbone version is COMPLETELY a cosmetic change...doesnt effect the game in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER...they could have just released the game at 800p and been done with it....it would have played EXACTLY the same....

but no, they took the time to optimize their coding and found a way to increase the resolution before release day...how can that POSSIBLY be a bad thing??

Yes, it's playable but do you understand what certified gold means or when it's 'ready for press' with newspapers and print the day of? It means when it's ready for the public. Clearly a big resolution change as this meant this game was not ready for the public, well the XO version anyway, so by principle, it was not gold when it was certified.

so newspapers NEVER report incorrect news? have to print updated articles? come on man...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm imagining some concerned buyer returning it because it didn't come with all the pixels, and they don't have the netwebs so they can't download them. Did the pixels just not fit on the disc, the shopper wonders.

Hubble

the resolution change on the Xbone version is COMPLETELY a cosmetic change...doesnt effect the game in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER...they could have just released the game at 800p and been done with it....it would have played EXACTLY the same....

but no, they took the time to optimize their coding and found a way to increase the resolution before release day...how can that POSSIBLY be a bad thing??

so newspapers NEVER report incorrect news? have to print updated articles? come on man...

800p to 900p is not about gameplay. It's a HUGE change in resolution. It's a 12.5% improvement in resolution. That makes a big difference to the game and how the public perceives the content.

I never said it's a bad thing and for the record, patching and updating a game is okay but the amount of day 1 patches is getting ridiculous and more and more bigger when games are not ready for the public. It's people like you, where developers are becoming less stringent with making a game to be ready at release because you find it perfectly acceptable and day 1 patches are becoming more and more larger. When a CD was 'ready for the press', it was expected to be largely complete when it was sent to the manufacturing station as it is impossible to change anything like increasing the audio quality from 20hz to 40hz after. The term 'gold' in video games has steadily lost its meaning compared to tradition and products with day 1 patches becoming bigger than anything before.

Metfanant

800p to 900p is not about gameplay. It's a HUGE change in resolution. It's a 12.5% improvement in resolution. That makes a big difference to the game and how the public perceives the content.

I never said it's a bad thing and for the record, patching and updating a game is okay but the amount of day 1 patches is getting ridiculous and more and more bigger when games are not ready for the public. It's people like you, where developers are becoming less stringent with making a game to be ready at release because you find it perfectly acceptable and day 1 patches are becoming more and more larger. When a CD was 'ready for the press', it was expected to be largely complete when it was sent to the manufacturing station as it is impossible to change anything like increasing the audio quality from 20hz to 40hz after.

none of your comparisons hold much water unfortunately...but regardless...id rather have the developers continue to work on a game and release patches that improve the game whenever they are ready...

there is NOTHING unplayable or broken about the Xbone version of this game pre-patch...that should have caused it to not receive gold certification

Mister D

I can't wait for movies to start releasing workprints with timecodes and special effects place holders because they claimed that summer tentpole release date but couldn't get their shit together to deliver a completed product. Going gold should mean that shit that you know about is fucking fixed and not going to be patched on day one. If players discover a bug that your QA team did not catch and you can release a patch in a couple days then cool. But shit like resolution and framerate fixes that you know about at the time of release should be fixed before the game is put out in the marketplace.

A perfect example of this terrible mentality is Brokenfield 4 where they knew the game was a steaming pile of bugs covering a really fun game and had previews and reviews in controlled environments where these issues were still present although not as bad as when the game was released to the general public and played in varying network environments. Now months later and after numerous patches, the game is still not completely fixed.

Either get your shit right and manage your production schedule to deal with identified bugs before release or delay your game and fix it before sending it out and asking customers to then download in some cases sizeable patches for shit that should have been corrected in the game code put up for sale. Yes games are more complex now but if you have bugs or shit like resolution fixes identified before launch then that should be fixed before you go gold. I have a bandwidth cap now and having to spend it on dumb shit like day one patches is really fucking annoying when the devs identified the issue they are fixing with this patch before the game went gold.

Hubble

none of your comparisons hold much water unfortunately...but regardless...id rather have the developers continue to work on a game and release patches that improve the game whenever they are ready...

there is NOTHING unplayable or broken about the Xbone version of this game pre-patch...that should have caused it to not receive gold certification

Yes, we disagree. I have higher standards of the definition of what 'gold' means as its definition is used to a high standard when making all kinds of products and in history. And yes, I find a 12.5 increase in resolution to a game in a patch akin to the game unfinished, which is pretty much the same as broken. The entire public will notice a significant difference to those who buy it at 800p to 900p therefore it should not be 'gold'. Gold means the product is ready for the public and clearly it's not when the game looks different in a day 1 patch.

Metfanant

Yes, we disagree. I have higher standards of the definition of what 'gold' means as its definition is used to a high standard when making all kinds of products and in history. And yes, I find a 12.5 increase in resolution to a game in a patch akin to the game unfinished, which is pretty much the same as broken. The entire public will notice a significant difference to those who buy it at 800p to 900p therefore it should not be 'gold'. Gold means the product is ready for the public and clearly it's not when the game looks different in a day 1 patch.

so what if they just released the game at 800p and never bothered with the patch, and you never heard about it??...would that have satisfied your criteria for gold??...

the game is 100% completely "ready for the public" without the patch...the developers did the public a SERVICE by bothering to continue optimizing code to increase the resolution of the game...

furious

Banned

Unfortunately, you don't get to just decide what 'gold' means and swap in your own definition when it serves you.

Replace 'gold' with 'release to manufacturing' and let me know what higher standards you can hold it to.

Top Bottom