• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion Day One Patch - Increases res on X1, improves F.R on PS4

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This is getting a retail release? Huh. Why.

So people who go to stores to buy games will see it and maybe think "That looks like something that I'd enjoy. I think I'll buy that.".

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
How would offline gamers get the game

I've got it right now on disk. The framerate takes random nosedived on certain areas of maps. Smoke in the background sometimes looks like it's 10fps lod. Maybe. Looks wrong. I've had a bit of tearing at the top of the screen and framerate issues that are noticeable. Not that often tho, but it did make me go ewww hope this fixes those and it's constant 60

You get the season pass and extra suit and bike skin for getting disk. So I got that

le.phat

Dave Lang mentioned on the bombcast a few weeks back that sonys tools were mostly finished for the ps4 . The Xbox one tools were and still are really rough but improving. It's not so much the sdk is bad like it was on the ps3 its simply that part are incomplete/buggy. Both companies communicate what parts of their kits have issues so developers have some idea if they're venturing into shakey territory.
Devtools are never finished. They continue to evolve with new techniques, adapt to surrounding tech, and there is always something to optimize to squeeze out a couple of more hp. It's a silly notion really.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Devtools are never finished. They continue to evolve with new techniques, adapt to surrounding tech, and there is always something to optimize to squeeze out a couple of more hp. It's a silly notion really.

But you can still understand than some are farther along than others for their respected systems.

Anyone else fucking tired of day 1 patches?

I know I am.

I mean jesus, if the code from the patch is ready day 1 just ship the game 3 days later then scheduled and put that damn code into the release.

Bsigg12

I know I am.

I mean jesus, if the code from the patch is ready day 1 just ship the game 3 days later then scheduled and put that damn code into the release.

That's not how physical copies work. They have to go gold which is on disc content complete x amount of weeks before release so the game can be pressed. They are still working on the game even though they can't change what's on the disc after going gold. Day one patches are here to stay because they give the devs more time to work on things like what they're doing here.

VanWinkle

I know I am.

Let's say a game goes gold a month before it releases (which is normal). The devs would then begin working on a day one patch for that month until it releases. A game NEVER goes from finished to released in three days. More realistically, the game would have to be delayed about a month to have that day 1 patch ready in the release code. If I have to choose between downloading a small patch when I get the game that takes about five minutes, or waiting a month so that I don't have to download that patch, I think the choice would be pretty easy to make.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've got it right now on disk. The framerate takes random nosedived on certain areas of maps. Smoke in the background sometimes looks like it's 10fps lod. Maybe. Looks wrong. I've had a bit of tearing at the top of the screen and framerate issues that are noticeable. Not that often tho, but it did make me go ewww hope this fixes those and it's constant 60

You get the season pass and extra suit and bike skin for getting disk. So I got that

Hmm, that doesn't sound too good. Frame drops and tearing? Ew. Platform? Either way, really hope the patch fixes that, even if it means dialing some of the visuals back a bit. Framerate should be given top priority above everything else in a game like this, significant drops aren't really acceptable IMO.

Radec

I know I am.

Games turn into gold weeks before its release date.

If the game is digital only, then there won't be any problem. But retail games need to be printed and distributed to retailers first.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

If the game is digital only, then there won't be any problem. But retail games need to be printed and distributed to retailers first.

Certification of digital games doesn't happen overnight either, even if it of course doesn't take as long as getting a retail game out the door.

Ah, well shit on me I thought the game was a digital release only! HA ....

* fades away *

homer_bush_by_dallas1185-d3c5rhv.gif

I think what you're trying to say is that the XB1 offers enough of a graphical upgrade from the previous gen, that it's good enough for the vast majority of people. I agree, this discussion is pretty much a hardcore topic, as the average dude doesn't even know what 900p means.

The average dude doesn't need to know what it means. All they need to know is X1 = weaker and more expensive. Information travels a lot faster nowadays and out of a group of friends it's likely at least one of them will know and spread the info.

big_z

The average dude doesn't need to know what it means. All they need to know is X1 = weaker and more expensive. Information travels a lot faster nowadays and out of a group of friends it's likely at least one of them will know and spread the info.

a vast majority of the consumer base doesn't give a shit about specs. price and content are whats important. up here in Canada the ps4 price increase has killed sales while the xbox one game bundles are moving hardware at a solid pace.

if specs mattered everyone would have owned a n64, the ps1 would have flopped and we would still be gaming on carts.

a vast majority of the consumer base doesn't give a shit about specs. price and content are whats important. up here in Canada the ps4 price increase has killed sales while the xbox one game bundles are moving hardware at a solid pace.

if specs mattered everyone would have owned a n64, the ps1 would have flopped and we would still be gaming on carts.

source?

TheCloser

Banned
just going by what a few employees have told me and general store stock in my area when shopping.

I think it was brought up on the bombcast a week or two ago as well.

Yea, it makes sense, people are getting a better perceived value. One of my coworkers spouses bought one because of the price increase and also seeing the shape of the controllers at the best buy demo kiosk.

Shin-Ra

The buildings look like they've been redesigned, but they don't look to be any less detailed.

Either way, gameplay >>>>> resolution.
Two possibilities:

1. It's physics/"backend" heavy so the PS4's extra power makes the difference despite the graphics.

2. Ubisoft incompetence.
A little worried about PS4 framerate even after the patch.
iHFJg72h7ZCOO.gif

...lot of people just now learning the ps3 and xbox 360 didn't have the capability for HD resolutions past 720p (most didn't reach that and were upscaled to 720p)
Impressively double WRONG!

PS3 launched with Ridge Racer 7 at 1080p60.

good news about the day 1 patch but...is anyone else frightened by the $39 pricetag?

that's like how much I spent on every trials game I already own.

why so pricey?

bombshell

good news about the day 1 patch but...is anyone else frightened by the $39 pricetag?

why so pricey?

Retail version includes season pass (6 DLC packs coming within a year).

Digital version is $20 and does not include season pass.

blazeuk

Doesn't sound perfect on either system really, the XB1 version has a lower resolution but the PS4 version has frame rate issues. Let's hope the PS4 version is completely fixed in the patch.

big_z

Doesn't sound perfect on either system really, the XB1 version has a lower resolution but the PS4 version has frame rate issues. Let's hope the PS4 version is completely fixed in the patch.

if the final version has frame rate issues then the xbox or pc versions are the ones to get. frame rate affects gameplay, resolution does not and these games are hard enough as is.

why so pricey?

I don't like this ubisoft pricing structure either. the dlc packs need to be sizable to merit the asking price and ubisofts dlc can be pretty poor. can we buy the $20 version then pay $20 later for the season pass? I don't like paying for a pass when I don't know what that dlc will be.

Caayn

It's funny because the average person that I speak to waves the "PS4 is stronger" argument off by saying "They said the same thing about the PS3". Besides most consumers don't care as much about specs as we do here on Gaf. If they did consoles wouldn't exist. Most people care more about playing with their friends and playing the games they like.

Trials DLC has historically been incredibly well done with lots of content. Unless they've really changed their philosophy, I wouldn't worry about it content-wise. Though I don't buy season passes either way.

bombshell

I was looking at digital release and it had 39 I wasn't sure if it was wrong-guess there are 2 options (one without DLC pass as well)-thanks

Oh, didn't know they are already selling a digital version including the season pass, but yes there is a cheaper digital version if you don't want to pay for DLC yet.

Linconan

I'll be getting this for sure on Ps4.
Never, has a game made me swear as much as this when i had it on 360.

I bought the one on Ps3 a while ago but it didn't feel right, in feel, motion and weight..*shrugs

Can't wait for the Ps4 version, hopefully she'll look sweet as...(and plays the same too)

Recall

So do we now just put numbers infront of the letter P and just guess?
Everything is secretly just 560p upscaled.

Recall

I don't get your meaning. This game runs at 1600x900 on XBO after the day 1 patch and 1920x1080 on PS4.

In the OP it states the 360 version runs at 600p, which I didn't know was a thing. same goes for the original 800p of the Xbox One version.

The numbering seems random compared to what we've normally been accustomed to.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
In the OP it states the 360 version runs at 600p, which I didn't know was a thing. same goes for the original 800p of the Xbox One version.

The numbering seems random compared to what we've normally been accustomed to.
It's just shorthand. 720p and 1080p are 16x9 aspect ratios with 720 and 1080 vertical pixels. It's just dropping the horizontal. With games, outside of a few exceptions, it's usually 16x9 so the Xp abbreviation works.

flkraven

just going by what a few employees have told me and general store stock in my area when shopping.

I think it was brought up on the bombcast a week or two ago as well.

Couldn't find a PS4 anywhere for months after launch. The second the price went up, all the stores I go to have maintained huge stock quantities.

Wereroku

Couldn't find a PS4 anywhere for months after launch. The second the price went up, all the stores I go to have maintained huge stock quantities.

So Canada is getting secret imports from NZ now?

Is day one patch already "live"? Just bought the physical copy on PS4 but the official release is in two days so I was wondering (at work, so I can't test yet).

Don't think it is most of the other early peeps have said its still having some problems. They were warning Journos that the game would have the best performance on release day.

Micerider

Is day one patch already "live"? Just bought the physical copy on PS4 but the official release is in two days so I was wondering (at work, so I can't test yet).

I know I am.

You do know it takes longer than 3 days to go through the certification process, right?

Sadly people still don't "get it" even when the systems are practically identical in architecture. It's lagging behind because it's less powerful. People can come up with as many excuses as they want (like "lazy devs") but the truth is in the numbers for people to clearly see. The people making these excuses are people who don't understand what those numbers mean or how the system actually works.

Look at the difference of a 560ti and a 570 evga card. It's quite different and yeah, the 570 will produce better graphics it's a better card no if ands or buts about it. However multiplats don't always need to be the same game or be on some parity level. Giving multiplats a distinct look between each other to me was the golden age of gaming. Demanding parity is like to me anyway, demanding communism you think you want it, but you really don't.

Hubble

Easy.... Then don't certify it gold...... Only certify gold when the game is ready for the general public to consume without a day 1 patch. It's ridiculous.

saunderez

Easy.... Then don't certify it gold...... Only certify gold when the game is ready for the general public to consume without a day 1 patch. It's ridiculous.
So you want games to be delayed for an indeterminate amount to of time rather than just be playing them. Got it. Hope you like waiting, preannounced release dates will be a thing of the past in your world. There would still be bugs in the product after your delay, can't possibly catch everything in testing with games as complex as they are these days.

Maybe call it bronze or silver the day 1 patch brings in the gold. But yeah back in the day of cartridge consoles you only had one shot and it will forever be version 1.0

Top Bottom