• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today is the one year anniversary of the SMT4 EU announcement

How do you feel about this?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yu Narukami

the rage that would ensue would be on an epic scale if they did that

Unfortunately that didn't stop them from doing it with P4A.
Also it took a long time before P4 was released in Europe. When it was finally released, I didn't want it anymore. That's why I'm playing it now. I even managed to no be spoiled.

Nakho

I feel for guys, seriously. My favorite game on the 3DS and one of the all-time best for me. Region locking is such bullshit :(

Unfortunately that didn't stop them from doing it with P4A.
Also it took a long time before P4 was released in Europe. When it was finally released, I didn't want it anymore. That's why I'm playing it now. I even managed to no be spoiled.

yeah but that was just a fighting game, to do that with a mainline title, the rage would be unteniable

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I really doubt it at this point, sadly. Nintendo's had countless European Direct's since the initial announcement, yet not a single mention or update on its progress.

For me that means that SMT x FE isnt happening anymore and they just havent cancelled it - last years announcement was probably made because of they expected SMT x FE still to be released at some point.

IrishNinja

this is really shit, and has been said, one of the best bullet points for ending region locking. really sorry to see EU members continuing to miss out on this one.

MLH

Ahhh, I was going to make this thread, I marked it on my calendar...
It's amazing that it has been one whole year and not a single update on a fucking localisation.
Region locking has really screwed us over, no RF4 and it seems no SMT4.

At this point it might be worth pestering Atlus USA to publish on eshop like they are doing with Conception 2 in Europe.

dan2026

Atlus are seriously the worst company for publishing games.

Every other company manages to publish in a decent ammont of time.

What is their excuse? Are they just fucking incompetent?

Zafir

Not really a happy anniversary... :/

This kind of rubbish is what makes me loath region locking. If I'd have known it was still going to be like this, i'd have just bought a US 3DS, they're cheaper anyway. I mean yeah, some games we got a bit early, like Tales of the Abyss and Bravely Default, but I'll take actually getting games over a few being a bit early.

Hellraider

On the bright side we will probably forget SMT IV soon now that Persona Q sure as hell ain't coming over. Right, the bright side.

It's already in english now with the US version out. What is the big deal here?

Also, HATE region locking. Knew this would deny me some good games when they announced this about the 3DS. Wasn't wrong. Great.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I got a 3DS XL a few weeks ago and hacking cart so I can play SMTIV.

It was the one game I was waiting on to finally buy the system, so I took matters into my own hands.

gngf123

I can't wait to see what other great games fail to release here!

Fuck region locking, and fuck anyone who thinks it is a good idea.

MrT-Tar

I'm still baffled how Conception II was picked for a PAL localisation, but not SMT IV. I'm happy it's being released, but I can't see how any cost-benefit analysis would prioritise it over SMT.

MLH

Worth asking AtlusUSA?

iJFAODu.png

We still don't know for sure who the European publisher is, but most people think it is Nintendo (Ghostlight and NISA(E) have both said they aren't), hopefully no contracts have been signed preventing another publisher.

Jeb

And this why I dont buy region locked consoles anymore, 3ds is my last and if Nintendo keeps it In the next im done with them.
Atlus still hasn't recovered my trust from the arena fiasco..
Im done jumping through hoops and loosing my convenience over these annoying practices.

Foshy

How hard is it to just release the US version digitally in Europe? I don't give a shit if it's not translated and if they think that a retail release isn't worth it they could just throw it on the eShop. Seriously, I don't get it. Fuck region locked consoles and the companies that make shit situations like this possible.

Recall

We should just add it to the long list of games that got a translation but withheld from the EU.

It has been a tradition for a very long time. There are countless RPGs which never made it over here during any generation :(

And this why I dont buy region locked consoles anymore, 3ds is my last and if Nintendo keeps it In the next im done with them.
Atlus still hasn't recovered my trust from the arena fiasco..
Im done jumping through hoops and loosing my convenience over these annoying practices.
Yeah, that's pretty much where I am.

To be fair, we were dumb enough to buy a region locked console.

I'm still baffled how Conception II was picked for a PAL localisation, but not SMT IV. I'm happy it's being released, but I can't see how any cost-benefit analysis would prioritise it over SMT.

Conception II's European release is in English only. I suspect SMT IV was planned (by NoE?) for a full multi-5 translation. And now it's just either just taking an insanely long time, or they've quietly given up and there's probably contract shit blocking Atlus USA from dumping it on the eShop as-is.

For those that are digital distribution-savvy, is there anything stopping Atlus USA/Nintendo Europe from publishing a game in Europe on the eShop? What kind of requirements would have to be met, aside from probably having the thing re-rated by for the PEGI system?

Aside from the PEGI rating there are some things that need to be coded for the localization. Sometimes they can't use the US translation because of licencing issues, and a new translation needs to be made and coded into the game. Even when you can reuse the translation, there are small changes to logos, names, metric format or date format.

It may sound trivial, but every little change must be thoroughly tested, because new bugs and glitches could emerge. You may remember the whole SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked fiasco. It took a year and a half to bring the game in europe and then it was filled with game-breaking glitches not found in the US or JAP versions of the game.

Reknoc

Maybe Spike-Chunsoft are more cooperative in doing what needs to be done on their end than Atlus are. Which speaks volumes about Atlus.

Recall

Aside from the PEGI rating there are some things that need to be coded for the localization. Sometimes they can't use the US translation because of licencing issues, and a new translation needs to be made and coded into the game. Even when you can reuse the translation, there are small changes to logos, names, metric format or date format.

It may sound trivial, but every little change must be thoroughly tested, because new bugs and glitches could emerge. You may remember the whole SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked fiasco. It took a year and a half to bring the game in europe and then it was filled with game-breaking glitches not found in the US or JAP versions of the game.

That is a good point. Sometimes a little clarity on the situation is helpful. Once people know where they stand it makes a huge difference.

Semajer

We still don't know for sure who the European publisher is, but most people think it is Nintendo (Ghostlight and NISA(E) have both said they aren't), hopefully no contracts have been signed preventing another publisher.

People were assuming it was Nintendo as Shibata announced it, and that a multi-5 localisation was why it was taking so long. A couple of months back I asked Nintendo UK for an update, and if they knew who the publisher was, and was told there was no update and that Atlus USA was the publisher. Sent Atlus an e-mail and got nothing in return.

BTW, who exactly is the EU publisher of the game?

Ghostlight (Devil Survivor Overclocked, Devil Survivor 2), NIS America (Soul Hackers, the Etrian Odyssey games), Atlus/SEGA or Nintendo itself?

edit: beaten

gngf123

People were assuming it was Nintendo as Shibata announced it, and that a multi-5 localisation was why it was taking so long. A couple of months back I asked Nintendo UK for an update, and if they knew who the publisher was, and was told there was no update and that Atlus USA was the publisher. Sent Atlus an e-mail and got nothing in return.
That's a lot more than I could get out of them. For me they couldn't even confirm if an EU release was still on the tables or not.

BTW, who exactly is the EU publisher of the game?

Ghostlight (Devil Survivor Overclocked, Devil Survivor 2), NIS America (Soul Hackers, the Etrian Odyssey games), Atlus/SEGA or Nintendo itself?

We still have no idea, but rumour is Atlus might be trying for a digital only release.

jgminto

Not planning on buying any Atlus games until this releases. Which is a shame because I'm really excited for Persona 5 and Q, though who knows if we'll ever see Q here either.

Ironjam

That would suck. I really don't want to support Nintendo's crappy online system. Especially not for expensive full retail releases.

Yeah, this. No eshop/Nintendo support in my country + crap online system = Never buying anything from the eshop, even if its this game.

Top Bottom