• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aeris' house in FFVII costs $1.8 million

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Midgar isn't New York; it's New York built on top of New York. That's where the comparison falls apart. It's not like Midgar bottom property would be equivalent to today's New York.

Are all her belongings still in her room?

l0De4rc.jpg

Will buy.

Um, location location location. It's like 1 screen away from a rundown garbage dump train yard thing with angry monster houses. Frankly, the only thing it has going for it is the calming music that plays whenever you stand outside.

I wonder if those Hell Houses are worth anything. Or do they count as mobile homes?

Final+Fantasy+VII+Screenshot+Hell+Bomber.jpg

vocab

I really thought this was a thread about the costs involved for ff7 remake. interesting write up though.

Shahed

Yeah, I just rewatched footage. The area of the game where Aeris lives is nothing like Tribeca. One screen away from her house is This Guy Are Sick guy. There are those broken down RVs selling shit.

Sorry Movoto. Fail.

I always feel like I missed out whenever I read or or see a screenshot of the 'This guy are sick' line. They fixed that for the PAL release so I never understood the joke until only recently.

DocSeuss

Um, location location location. It's like 1 screen away from a rundown garbage dump train yard thing with angry monster houses. Frankly, the only thing it has going for it is the calming music that plays whenever you stand outside.

yeah but it's in NEW YORK so that means it's worth a lot

Unfortunately, I think this analysis is assuming that Midgar retained NYC's property values in the transition of power from Mayor Bloomberg to its corporate overlords.

Dreez

Aeris is probably more of a Harlem or Brooklyn type of gal. Then the author needs to look up 1990s prices before all the gentrification, not today's prices. B-)

who's Aerith

Aeris_FFVII_Portrait.jpg

Her.

Although I'm pretty sure you're just having fun with it, I don't even get how it's still an argument for some folks that "Aeris" wasn't a translation error since Sephiroth has the same character at the end of his name and nobody calls him "Sephiros". Not to mention Aerith is an actual, used in real life first name just as Sephiroth is an accepted translation for Sephirot (a term in Kabbalah). That and every translation since FFVII has since corrected it.

On topic, this dude really went to town on this with the research.

Xpliskin

The PS1/PS2 era gave birth to these unique games that are remembered forever.

Am I the only feeling that none of current/last gen's games have that "magic" anymore ?

Ferr986

Her.

Although I'm pretty sure you're just having fun with it, I don't even get how it's still an argument for some folks that "Aeris" wasn't a translation error since Sephiroth has the same character at the end of his name and nobody calls him "Sephiros". Not to mention Aerith is an actual, used in real life first name just as Sephiroth is an accepted translation for Sephirot (a term in Kabbalah). That and every translation since FFVII has since corrected it.

On topic, this dude really went to town on this with the research.

In the spanish translation he is called "Sefirot" (although that translation is even worse than the english one)

Grayman

I think they need to factor in property values beside places like fukashima to accurately gauge the price of property adjacent a SLUM CRUSHED FROM THE SKY.

RagnarokX

Midgar is NYC, but the slums below Midgar aren't really Midgar. It'd be like if NYC was floating above a meth lab in a scrap heap. Who would pay that much to live there? How much is an apartment in NYC's sewers?

Nerokis

They're overemphasizing geography a bit, aren't they? There are numerous things about Aerith's neighborhood that distinguish it from Manhattan...

That said, the area may have potential, and Aerith's house has a certain charm to it. Not to mention the incredible garden. As the legend of Aerith spreads, and Shrina's suffocating grip loosens, I can see her home being a huge standout in a significant real estate boom. Chances are it'll be worth quite a bit someday.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's all about Costa Del Sol baby.

villa2.png

villa3.png
You know if you do this part of the game when controlling Tifa or Cid, the villa gets named after them.

Cheerilee

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...tasy2/de/images/e/eb/Aeris_FFVII_Portrait.jpg

Her.

There is no correct translation. Her name was intended to be Earth (like Cloud) but someone thought it would be cool to give her an A-E flip to make it sound more magical, so maybe Aerth...

Her Japanese name was Romanized to "Aerith" in some Japanese materials by a Japanese person who might not have known any English, so an army of weeaboo fanboys went on a misguided war against the game's localization, and the current Square gave in to their demands.

In the absence of a truly correct translation, procedure is often to stick with the established mistake, otherwise you're just trading one mistake for another.

Yeah, I just rewatched footage. The area of the game where Aeris lives is nothing like Tribeca. One screen away from her house is This Guy Are Sick guy. There are those broken down RVs selling shit.

Sorry Movoto. Fail.

Leave This Guy Are Sick guy alone, he's a human being.

I think.

Top Bottom