• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aeris' house in FFVII costs $1.8 million

Finalow

You know what doesn't cost $1.8 million? Aeris. Because she's DEAD. Worthless character.
image.php

There is no correct translation. Her name was intended to be Earth (like Cloud) but someone thought it would be cool to give her an A-E flip to make it sound more magical, so maybe Aerth...

Her Japanese name was Romanized to "Aerith" in some Japanese materials by a Japanese person who might not have known any English, so an army of weeaboo fanboys went on a misguided war against the game's localization, and the current Square gave in to their demands.

In the absence of a truly correct translation, procedure is often to stick with the established mistake, otherwise you're just trading one mistake for another.
basically エアリス(Earisu) became Aerith. damn A-E flip.
anyway since su = s Aeris is the most correct literal translation, considering the flip.

She also had that church, sold flowers in the open and was dating someone from SOLDIER.

For someone who's supposed to be hiding from Shinra, she's doing a terrible job.

There is no correct translation. Her name was intended to be Earth (like Cloud) but someone thought it would be cool to give her an A-E flip to make it sound more magical, so maybe Aerth...

Her Japanese name was Romanized to "Aerith" in some Japanese materials by a Japanese person who might not have known any English, so an army of weeaboo fanboys went on a misguided war against the game's localization, and the current Square gave in to their demands.

Regarding the original translation, everything I've ever read on the topic said that her name wasn't ever supposed to be literally "earth" and was intended to be a pseudo-anagram. The "Ae" flip was supposed to be there, so I suppose that "Aerth" would be closer as you said, but I guess they figured that looked harsh or something. But since it's an anagram of a word ending in "th", it really seems like that was the intended ending for her name.

Also, I couldn't find a single thing about this "angry weeaboos forced SE to change the name" argument so I'm interested in where you pulled that out from (not being sarcastic, I genuinely want to know). I like reading up on history of the games I enjoy so a link to an article or something would be awesome.

basically エアリス(Earisu) became Aerith. damn A-E flip.
anyway since su = s Aeris is the most correct literal translation, considering the flip.

Actually, can't the "su" sound be interpreted as "th" or "s" because Japan doesn't use a "th" sound natively? My Japanese knowledge is limited as I only study it and don't fluently speak it so feel free to correct me.

Bullshit... under Midgar is NOT Tribeca. It's like a nice house in the worst neighbourhood. The rest of the sectors are basically a slum/favela.

Yeah even though he felt the research supports the location that doesn't seem like a fair comparison. I bet the people living in Tribeca wouldn't want to be compared to effing Midgar, that's for sure.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Bullshit... under Midgar is NOT Tribeca. It's like a nice house in the worst neighbourhood. The rest of the sectors are basically a slum/favela.

BocoDragon

In the absence of a truly correct translation, procedure is often to stick with the established mistake, otherwise you're just trading one mistake for another.

You've made a lot of conjecture here that's a bit wrong. The Japanese were fully intending for the name Aerith (probably a portmanteau of Aether and Earth). That's what they themselves romanised it as in internal materials, and pre-release screenshots. But in the Japanese language, there is no "th" sound (as pointed out above) and it becomes su. Meant to be "Aerith", said by the Japanese as "EARiSu".

There was no campaign of "weeaboo fanboys". SCEA and their translators just decided to make an editorial decision as make it Aeris in the final build. But their decision has since reverted to the originally intended name in subsequent FFVII games.

Finalow

Actually, can't the "su" sound be interpreted as "th" or "s" because Japan doesn't use a "th" sound natively? My Japanese knowledge is limited as I only study it and don't fluently speak it so feel free to correct me.
yeah th doesn't exist in japanese and su it's pronounced s (desu = des), not sure how it's related to the sound th.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Um, location location location. It's like 1 screen away from a rundown garbage dump train yard thing with angry monster houses. Frankly, the only thing it has going for it is the calming music that plays whenever you stand outside.

So pretty much NY?

BocoDragon

yeah th doesn't exist in japanese and su it's pronounced s (desu = des), not sure how it's related to the sound th.

Su is usually pronounced Su in Japanese. Desu just tends to get abbreviated Des because it's such a common word.

How is Su related to Th? It's just the closest approximation. Same way that L sounds become Ra, Ri, Ru, Re or Ro. In English we think L has nothing to do with R but in that language it's as close as it gets.

Cheerilee

Also, I couldn't find a single thing about this "angry weeaboos forced SE to change the name" argument so I'm interested in where you pulled that out from (not being sarcastic, I genuinely want to know). I like reading up on history of the games I enjoy so a link to an article or something would be awesome.

No links. I just remember being on the internet in the years between FF7 and Kingdom Hearts, and there was a very vocal minority that was absolutely terrible about refusing to accept "Aeris" as a name and insisting on using "Aerith" (based on a romanization they saw in imported goods, even though such things are often plagued with Engrish). They were badgering anyone who would listen, and were adamant that "Aeris" was a crime and "Aerith" was correct. They were sabotaging discussion all over the place.

If this was just about translation purity, Terra would be Tina by now. Square was responding to the vocal minority.

You've made a lot of conjecture here that's a bit wrong. The Japanese were fully intending for the name Aerith (probably a portmanteau of Aether and Earth). That's what they themselves romanised it as in internal materials, and pre-release screenshots. But in the Japanese language, there is no "th" sound (as pointed out above) and it becomes su. Meant to be "Aerith", said by the Japanese as "EARiSu".

There's no "i" in Aether or Earth. It comes from the Japanese alphabet's need to put vowels after consonants, so the "i" is just as wrong as the "s".

BocoDragon

There's no "i" in Aether or Earth. It comes from the Japanese alphabet's need to put vowels after consonants, so the "i" is just as wrong as the "s".
If they wanted to have just an R sound with no vowel attached, such as in Earth, it would have been アース or Aasu.

The "Ri" is not an artifact of Japanese... It is intended as part of the name. Aerith is a fantasy name, derived from other words, but ultimately intended originally to be Aerith as you'd read it in English, with "EARiSu" being the closest way to say that in Japanese.

You can go back to long before the game was announced for Engish localization, and find materials labelled with Aerith.

So they say this corresponds to about 37Mgil. That's over 100 times the price of a luxurious villa in one or the most popular vacation spots on the planet. And as everyone else has said it's located in the slums, which has recently had a history of getting entire sectors demolished in terrorist attacks. Yeah, their analysis doesn't hold up.

So they say this corresponds to about 37Mgil. That's over 100 times the price of a luxurious villa in one or the most popular vacation spots on the planet. And as everyone else has said it's located in the slums, which has recently had a history of getting entire sectors demolished in terrorist attacks. Yeah, their analysis doesn't hold up.

They've also got a huge lot with lots of flowers/crops... something that is nearly non-existent in Midgar and the slums... though their analysis doesn't seem to take that into effect.

As for the villa, are we sure that's truly ownership and not a time share?

So if Tribeca is Midgar's upper plates, what they actually needed to calculate was how much property located in the sewers underneath Tribeca would be worth. That would put the home somewhere between the Ninja Turtle's hideout and that Morlock commune. In fact, Caliban once became Apocalypse's Horseman of Pestilence, so maybe he could be the "This guy are sick" guy!

MechaX

Midgar isn't New York; it's New York built on top of New York. That's where the comparison falls apart. It's not like Midgar bottom property would be equivalent to today's New York.

I'd say it's more like New York built on top of Detroit.

I mean, literally a block away from Aeris' house (which has extremely polluted air all around, flower fields be damned), you have people living in man-sized construction tubes and burnt out train cars.

Finalow

Su is usually pronounced Su in Japanese. Desu just tends to get abbreviated Des because it's such a common word.

How is Su related to Th? It's just the closest approximation. Same way that L sounds become Ra, Ri, Ru, Re or Ro. In English we think L has nothing to do with R but in that language it's as close as it gets.
uh? Not at all.
in a lot of japanese words su is pronounced s. suki, suteki etc. sure also in a lot of verbs and other words su is just pronounced su but what I meant is that the name in this case is written in katakana, and su is at the end. in this case usually (but I think pretty much everytime) you pronounce that as s. or at least with an half mute u.
*it's not abbreviated to des just because it's a common word but more like because japanese people in spoken language tend to be lazy and abbreviate averything. still, that's the correct way to pronounce it.

the closest approximation would be, uhm, s. if not that then I guess th as well as other 2000 sounds could have been used as an approximation.

Sure, it could be in NYC. In the '70s.

But while it might not be worth anything close to 1.8 million, even when adjusting for inflation, it's still a really nice abode in a fairly nice location in the game, so it's probably going to be worth a good deal more than the shacks everyone else in Midgar is living in.

Cheerilee

If they wanted to have just an R sound with no vowel attached, such as in Earth, it would have been アース or Aasu.

The "Ri" is not an artifact of Japanese... It is intended as part of the name. Aerith is a fantasy name, derived from other words, but ultimately intended originally to be Aerith as you'd read it in English, with "EARiSu" being the closest way to say that in Japanese.

You can go back to long before the game was announced for Engish localization, and find materials labelled with Aerith.

I'll take your word for it that there seems to be intent to have "Ri" in there and not just "R".

But I remain convinced that "Aerith" isn't a perfect translation. I remember when Area 88 comics explained in their translation notes how Capcom correctly used "Mickey Scymon" in UN Squadron based on established romanization, but since the character was intended to be a white American, they took it upon themselves to "fix" the name and make it "Mickey Simon". And having that extra "i" in Aerith destroys the name's connection to Earth (which was stretched when they did the A-E switch, but I think still works).

And I remain (based on personal experience) convinced that Square of America had their finger on the pulse of the fanbase, and they changed the name for the wrong reasons (similar to how they may have given a shout-out to the Something Awful forums in their retranslation of FF4).

Top Bottom