• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You are on your last life. What do you prefer your life counter displaying: x1 or x0?

How do you prefer your last life to be displayed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
sOMaNuq.gif
vs.
I3g4ppu.gif

I assume everyone here experienced that feeling of disappointment getting a game over despite dying with x1 life or that feeling of relief when you're given another shot despite dying with 1 life left.

EDIT: We got a poll!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
x1 since I prefer games in which you view it as how many lives you have before you reach 0, reaching 0 meaning you get a game over, like in SMW or Zelda II.

Nachos

I'm conditioned to use x0 -- as in, a number representing my reserve lives.

I can't even remember where this started, but I never include the current playthrough in my current live count.

Ha, it's funny how nowadays you normally don't see a Game Over screen in a Mario game.

x0 is better.

I've seen more than I want to admit recently since I played Super Mario 3D World from start to finish with a friend of mine, lol. Lotsss of game overs.

---

I prefer x0.

pargonta

i mean it's obviously the number of lives you have left after your current one..so as long as it's accurate, showing how many lives i have left. x0

edoara

Neo Member
Ha, it's funny how nowadays you normally don't see a Game Over screen in a Mario game.

x0 is better.

I have a little nephew who likes Mario a lot, so when he comes over I let him play all the Mario's I have. Last time he was playing 3D World. It was then when I saw the "Game Over" screen of the game.
It was funny :p

Banned
Having 0 lives left always bugged me lol, as a kid I always said "If I have no lives, how am I alive right now?".

x1 for me.

yami4ct

x0. The life counter should be lives left to use. If you have 1 life to use, you should be able to revive after you die.

Hexa

Doesn't matter to me, cuz I'm to good to ever get down to my last life anyway.

Congrats. Give the guy a meddle.

x0 as has been stated, leaves absolutely no room for confusion.

It would be hilarious to have a game where you get a game over at a different number of lives at each level. Like 1 at some. 0 at some. -3 at some. Or even better the number is randomly decided at the beginning of each level so you're always guessing. :p

Pudge

Always x0. Usually you're collecting some item that represents lives, or earning them with some equivalent of coins. So its like a reserve supply of lives that can be emptied.

Top Bottom