• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You are on your last life. What do you prefer your life counter displaying: x1 or x0?

How do you prefer your last life to be displayed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sophia

I think your lives are reset every time you reload the game. I know I used to get game overs in SMW playing as a kid.

In the original game, they are. The GBA version keeps track of your lives and it's extremely easy to rack up a lot of them. I sometimes I have 20 or more before finishing the first world. There's also tons of infinite live exploits in the game to rack them up real fast.

I prefer it when it's handled in the "x0" method, because it seems more logical to me. It's more mathematically sound with the other method tho.

popyea

x0 only makes sense if the lives refer to something that revives you. x1 is appropriate if it's referring to the actual amount of lives you have to live, as it wouldn't make sense to be alive when you don't have a life. I think x0 is more intuitive to understand however, and seems to be what most games have adopted.

x0 is more defined, no suspicion possible.
but x1 makes more sense. how can you have zero lives? doesn't that mean you are already dead.

edit: oh it makes sense that you have no more left

Seik

Banned
X0

This should be a poll thread, if possible. There's people on both sides so it could be interesting.

x0 because I always think of the counter as representing "extra lives" so having it read x1 would mean that I still had one extra life left (after the one I currently have).

injurai

Banned
It's the whole "this" tuesday issue. Is the reference always to the week, or is it always the upcoming day. Or if it tuesday do you count that as today.

It all comes down to whether you count the active life. I would have to say x0 is best.

Okay, I have a question for my fellow Amiga graybeards.

Did Llamatron actually say, "Last Llama" (out loud), or was it just me and my friends saying it?
We still say it.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Having 0 lives left always bugged me lol, as a kid I always said "If I have no lives, how am I alive right now?".

x1 for me.
Because the number represents "extra" lives, not all lives.

x0 is basically informing you that all your disposable safety nests are gone, and your "real" life is hanging in the balance.

At least that's how I always viewed it.

Minions

x0.... When I get to x1 I always think I'll have another life after... which sometimes leads to disappointment.

Andodalf

Banned
if i have x4 knives in my bag and take one out, I still have 4 knives, just x3 in my bag and one in my hand. If I have x1 knives in my bag I have one knife. If I take one out I now have x0 knives in my bag, but the one in my hand, and therefore a total of one. I see lives the same way. I have no lives in reserve, only the one I'm using, Lives are an item. x0 master race.

x1 makes more sense, and as a kid I preferred it.

But so many game having x0 makes it such that dying after x1 makes me feel cheated

x0 for sure

SeriousApes

Lives ought to be displayed using +, like +3, meaning 3 extra lives or zero extra lives. Multiplication is too tricky, yo.

SnakeEyez

0, I hate when games count x1 as your last life because I'm used to x0 so I would get game over while expecting one more.

calder

x0 of course. The counter tells you how many *extra* lives you have left beyond the one you are obviously on.

For the people who say you're on your last life so the screen should say x1... the fact you're playing tells you you're not dead, so you shouldn't need your life counter to tell you that. :p

exfatal

x1 for me always thought it counted your lives including the one you are currently using.

so x2 lives means i have 1 life in reserve. basically an indicator on how many times i am allowed to die. So x2 means i got 2 more deaths

Top Bottom