• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You are on your last life. What do you prefer your life counter displaying: x1 or x0?

How do you prefer your last life to be displayed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Zero. One makes me think I still have one in reserve. The number should just represent reserve lives to keep things easy to understand.

Though in the case of the original SMB it displayed the number only before a level. So it made sense that it would display 1 there just before you play. But if it's on screen while you play it should be zero-based.

mclem

X0.

X1 always makes me worry if I have another try left or not, but there's no confusion with X0.

Except you won't get to x0 without going through x1 on the way, so you'll still get that confusion...

I think I'd lean towards x0. More to the point, though, I think it's a lot clearer if you visibly decrement the counter when the player spawns. DKC works well because it ties the notion of 'respawning' to an object with a visual representation, a balloon.

i HATE games that have X1 and then the game over titles roll :(

to be honest though these days dieing is a thing of the past, devs seem to want you to finish within an easy sitting

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Never thought about it before....so I could say doesnt matter.

But...I'm used to seeing that x1 with Mario. Again...never paid any attention to it. This might be the equivalent of something I cant unsee now...

Thanks alot.

BibiMaghoo

"0" for sure. That is how many lives Remain. None. If it says "1", then I still have a life left after I die.

Anyone confusing the two should be dealt with, possibly hung, drawn and quartered to prevent such pollution entering video games again.

Striek

x1. Its a life counter, not a spare life counter. I've never once before heard it referred to as a spare life counter.

Enco

If you see it as extra lives, x0

If you see it as remaining lives, x1

No clear answer. It doesn't bother me. Not that I play many games that use that system.

tsab

x1 because is better than x0

serious answer: x0 confuses me, my take on the counter is how many times you have before seeing gameover. Not how many times *excluding this one* you have left.

x0, that way there's no possible confusion.

This, always drove me crazy when the counter said I had one life left and I died and it was game over.

x1. Its a life counter, not a spare life counter. I've never once before heard it referred to as a spare life counter.

To be fair, I've never heard it ever called a life counter before... I've always heard it referred to as "how many lives you have left."

JesseDeya

Banned
It's very simple.

A cat has nine lives, I'm sure we can meow all agree on that simple fact.

If we were to display how many lives an unscathed cat has, it would have to be x9. To say x10 would be disingenuous, as we all know a cat has but 9 lives.

9) So at the start a cat has Lives x9
8) If he loses a life, the cat has Lives x8
7) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x7
6) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x6
5) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x5
4) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x4
3) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x3
2) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x2
1)) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x1

I need to point out how many lives the cat has lost meow. If you count back, he has meow lost 8 lives, but as we have already established, the cat has 9 lives to give.
If he loses one more life, he'll finally be dead.

0) The cat loses his final life, meow the cat has Lives x0.

Right meow, it's game over for the cat. but as we can see, whist on his last life the count was clearly x1.

Therefore, due to indisputable feline logic, x1 is the correct display when you are meow on your last life.

I think zero, because there's always that ambiguity of whether 1 or 0 is the last life. If the game displays 1, then you're not quite sure... "is this my last life, or will this tick down to zero?" In my knowledge, there has NEVER been a game to display -1, so ... zero seems more convenience.

Also, you can ask the question, what does the life counter mean?

You have X lives left. Does this include your current chance? Arguably, from the way it's asked, "this many lives left" it would not. So, to say, "I am playing this life, but I have 1 life left," would suggest a complete life from birth until death. So, I think zero seems most appropriate here.

Zero.

emb

0. That way I'm sure. Half the time when I'm at one life, I spend more mental effort just trying to remember if the game uses 1 or 0 for the last try than I do playing.

I also think of the life count as 'extra lives' rather than 'lives', so 0 makes more sense there.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
X0. That Mario comic comes to mind where each time he dies, a new clone is dropped in. X1 would indicate that there's one additional clone remaining. Once you're on X0, there are no more, you're on your last dude. It's pretty simple.

I can't say I care very much either way.

Thanks for stopping by to let us know that you don't care.

Top Bottom