• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You are on your last life. What do you prefer your life counter displaying: x1 or x0?

How do you prefer your last life to be displayed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
6esxD1t.jpg

DuncanR2N

Neo Member
It's very simple.

A cat has nine lives, I'm sure we can meow all agree on that simple fact.

If we were to display how many lives an unscathed cat has, it would have to be x9. To say x10 would be disingenuous, as we all know a cat has but 9 lives.

9) So at the start a cat has Lives x9
8) If he loses a life, the cat has Lives x8
7) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x7
6) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x6
5) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x5
4) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x4
3) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x3
2) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x2
1)) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x1

I need to point out how many lives the cat has lost meow. If you count back, he has meow lost 8 lives, but as we have already established, the cat has 9 lives to give.
If he loses one more life, he'll finally be dead.

0) The cat loses his final life, meow the cat has Lives x0.

Right meow, it's game over for the cat. but as we can see, whist on his last life the count was clearly x1.

Therefore, due to indisputable feline logic, x1 is the correct display when you are meow on your last life.

But the cat is currently USING it's first life, therefore it only has x8 additional lives at the start.

9) So at the start a cat has Lives x8 (as he currently using one)
8) If he loses a life, the cat has Lives x7
7) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x6
6) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x5
5) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x4
4) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x3
3) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x2
2) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x1
1)) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x0 as he has no more additional lives left.

Now when he dies, he's dead.

I'm sure someone could think of something clever about Schrodinger, but I'm not that clever...

XbNVUe2.jpg

Hi buddies! Today I'm going to show you how to math. If you take 1 life and multiply it by 1, you have: life x 1 = 1 life! If you take 1 life and multiply it by 0, you have: life x 0 = 0 lives.

Now it's your time to practice!

x1

Oppo

XbNVUe2.jpg

Hi buddies! Today I'm going to show you how to math. If you take 1 life and multiply it by 1, you have: life x 1 = 1 life! If you take 1 life and multiply it by 0, you have: life x 0 = 0 lifes.

Now it's your time to practice!

x1

Great. Now tell me how many extra lives I have, beyond the one I'm playing?

I'll wait

Great. Now tell me how many extra lives I have, beyond the one I'm playing?

I'll wait

The question is about "the last life", not the last retry. Your current life counts as one (lives = x1 means last life. You can't try again without lives), if you're on your last retry then you have none left (# of retries = x0).

JesseDeya

Banned
But the cat is currently USING it's first life, therefore it only has x8 additional lives at the start.

9) So at the start a cat has Lives x8 (as he currently using one)
8) If he loses a life, the cat has Lives x7
7) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x6
6) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x5
5) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x4
4) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x3
3) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x2
2) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x1
1)) If he loses another life, the cat has Lives x0 as he has no more additional lives left.

Now when he dies, he's dead.

I'm sure someone could think of something clever about Schrodinger, but I'm not that clever...

Ok, let me ask you how many lives you have right meow. One or None?

I don't know about you, but my life count is 1, otherwise I'd be dead.

By extension, a cat has 9 lives at the start, not 8 as you've doggedly tried to allege.

No point arguing meow, I'm far too cunning.

Oppo

The question is about "the last life", not the last retry. Your current life counts as one (lives = x1 means last life. You can't try again without lives), if you're on your last retry then you have none left (# of retries = x0).

As pointed out, if you put this in icon format it suddenly doesn't make sense. There's no room for ambiguity in x0 so that's the best answer.

nkarafo

When you are playing its obvious that your character is alive, thus he is using 1 life. You don't really need the game to tell you on screen that you are using 1 life as you play because, like i said, its obvious, you already have that information. So the x1 is the same information twice (if its game over after that). x0 makes more sense because that means you have no reserves and the life you are using to play is your last one.

DuncanR2N

Neo Member
Ok, let me ask you how many lives you have right meow. One or None?

I don't know about you, but my life count is 1, otherwise I'd be dead.

By extension, a cat has 9 lives at the start, not 8 as you've doggedly tried to allege.

No point arguing meow, I'm far too cunning.

I'm currently USING my life right now. I don't have any extras sitting up in my life inventory. Now if you were to hand me a 1UP, I'd hold onto it and I would have x1 life in my inventory. But for now, my extra lives inventory is, sadly sitting at x0.

As pointed out, if you put this in icon format it suddenly doesn't make sense. There's no room for ambiguity in x0 so that's the best answer.

As someone said before, lives = x1 and extra lives = x0 makes the most sense.

This is just for the sake of the debate, anyway. In any game you play, after the first Game Over screen you get used to whatever method they use. Anyway, yeah, if they're showing it as icons I'd think it's showing extra lives rather than total lives.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When you are playing its obvious that your character is alive, thus he is using 1 life. You don't really need the game to tell you on screen that you are using 1 life as you play because, like i said, its obvious. So the x1 is useless information (if its game over after that). x0 makes more sense because that means you have no reserves and the life you are using to play is your last one.

If x1 is your last life and one more hit = Game Over then it is pretty important to know. My character being on the screen just tells me I'm alive not how many lives I have.

inm8num2

x0.

I interpret lives as continues. x0 means I have no more continues and this is my last life. x1 means I have one more continue.

nkarafo

If x1 is your last life and one more hit = Game Over then it is pretty important to know. My character being on the screen just tells me I'm alive not how many lives I have.
But you know that since he is alive (otherwise you couldn't play) he is using 1 life. You really need that information twice?

JesseDeya

Banned
I'm currently USING my life right now. I don't have any extras sitting up in my life inventory. Now if you were to hand me a 1UP, I'd hold onto it and I would have x1 life in my inventory. But for now, my extra lives inventory is, sadly sitting at x0.

Well theres your problem, it's not an extra lives counter, it's a lives counter. If it explicitly says extra, or retries then sure, different argument. But if it just says *symbol* x1, then you have one life. Lose it and you're dead. Not rocket surgery! :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But you know that since he is alive (otherwise you couldn't play) he is using 1 life. You really need that information twice?

But I could have x50 lives. My character being on the screen tells me nothing about my life quantity.

Herne

Thanks for stopping by to let us know that you don't care.

Hey, I didn't mean to belittle the thread or anything, I thought about the question and realised I was going to die anyway, so I'll know how many I have when I do. It's not really an issue for me. I guess it is when you're playing certain games, but not in any that I play.

So, I don't really mind whether the counter says zero or one.

DuncanR2N

Neo Member
Well theres your problem, it's not an extra lives counter, it's a lives counter. If it explicitly says extra, or retries then sure, different argument. But if it just says *symbol* x1, then you have one life. Lose it and you're dead. Not rocket surgery! :)

Well, the OP did ask what our preference was. I have clearly stated mine, and you yours. I guess we shall have to respectfully disagree on the proper way to display the remaining life.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think the logical thing is x1, because x0 would mean you don't have any lives, which is not true: you still have the one you're currently using.

But personally I prefer x0, because it's clear that there are no lives beyond this one (at least for first-time players; otherwise they would already know) and seeing a "0" drives the point better than a "1" (in my opinion, of course). So I'd go with x0, despite making less sense (unless you consider the life counter as a pool of remaining lives, without counting the one you're using).

tesla246

X0 of course, because you can also see in the blink of an eye how many times you can die before hitting that game-over screen.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Depends on how you're used to saying it.

Do you have no lives left, or are you on your last life?

If you're used to saying it the first way then x0 makes more sense, otherwise x1.

Camwi

I prefer x0 because there isn't any question then that it's your last life.

I think the logical thing is x1, because x0 would mean you don't have any lives, which is not true: you still have the one you're currently using.

I think x0 is more logical. Those are all EXTRA lives that you have in storage, so the life you're currently using shouldn't count.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think x0 is more logical. Those are all EXTRA lives that you have in storage, so the life you're currently using shouldn't count.
Which is why I said "unless you consider the life counter as a pool of remaining lives, without counting the one you're using". If you believe them to be remaining lives, then x0 is the only valid option.

Linkhero1

No option in the poll for people who don't care? I don't care. Either way, I'm fine with whatever the developer comes up with.

Top Bottom