• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame |OT| Free the fire

cormack12

Gold Member
5slzXi0.png

Developer: Spider
Publisher: Focus Home Interactive
Platform(s): PS4 (1080p | unlocked frame rate 30fps-60fps) // PS360 // PC (SteamApp Link | Min Reqs. at bottom of thread)
Why no Xbox One version? Dev kits arrived late, Spider did not want to postpone schedule for catchup.
Genre: Action RPG
Release date: 9th May 2014 // 6th May digital PSN
Multiplayer: No
ESRB Rating: Mature
Main story length: 12-15 hours (Revised down from 25-30 after early reviews)
Branched endings: 3

SJrG0Y6.png

// Main character
The main player controlled character is a member of the Pure Blades (see factions below) named Vulcan. You are possessed by a demonic influence that will grant you power in exchange for parts of your soul. As you embark on your quest against the beasts of Vertiel, the DeadArmy and the Ice Lords, will you stay true to your own heroic abilities or will you be tempted by the limitless power the demon offers?

As you would expect with most RPG's you will be able to customise your characters gender, ethnicity, facial features and hairstyles. Some physical traits will be defined by the choices you make and how much you succumb to the fire demon that possesses you (pyromancy) - reminiscent of the purity/morality system seen in games like Fable. The game is not open world but is cited as being story driven by a chapter system. Each chapter will have a world hub and quests associated with it. It's been coined as a 'semi-linear' experience - the game producer has stated this is because they are a small studio and don't have the resources required for that amount of content (in videos below @ 2:20>>). NG details, free roam and replayability are not clear yet.

Each decision you make in 'Bound by Flame' will have an effect on who and what is around you, but more importantly on yourself. Use your demon powers and turn into Hellboys brother - a badass demon human with horns on your head. Alternatively, keep your purity and become a fabled human knight.

CHybURA.gif

// Factions
There are four main factions in Vertiel. As mentioned above you belong to the Pure Blades. The rest are as follows.

iFXDoJT8b7Pqj.png

// Companions
You will meet various companions whilst on your journey in Vertiel. Some will choose to join your quest and embrace your destiny whilst others may have more selfish motives. Your companions attitudes and emotional attachment to you will be influenced by how much you embrace/reject the demonic forces that threaten to change you and/or choices you make at various stages in the storyline. It will also affect their attitude towards you during battles. Immoral decisions or failure to control your demonic urges may mean your companions choose to leave your company. You will be able to develop rivalries, loyal and lasting friendship or even romance with your companions.

Each companion will bring their own skillset with them and it is up to you to choose companions (I believe you can have two) who best complement your playstyle or someone who can just be unleashed to quickly despatch anybody and everybody. You will be able to command them and assign 'behaviours' as required.

ihM3hVK2ZAvaU.png

// Combat
Combat will fall into three main categories. Fighter, ranger and pyromancy. During combat you can freely interchange between the 'hero' classes by changing your 'stance'. 'Fighters' are able to sustain heavy blows and deal slow but heavy damage. 'Rangers' are faster but lighter, able to dual wield and use stealth. Pyromancy is available to compliment both stances but with costs to your soul and physical appearance as previously described.

Available to you is a whole array of strikes and moves that should help you to overcome your opponents. Parry or dodge their blows, counter-attack, break their guard, stun them... or just burn them down with the mighty flames of your demon’s powers! The enemy AI promises to be accessible on easier difficulties and punishing on harder settings. The enemy will fight as a team and will attempt to flank you at the first opportunity.

i6KnpoaTezs18.png

As you level up, you gain skill points that you can use as you wish in the three talent trees. The talent trees represent the three facets of your character in combat: Martial Techniques represent your skills in two-handed weapon wielding; Fire Magic enables you to improve on fire demon spell casting; finally, the Way of the Shadow corresponds to your ability to wield daggers and merge into the night.

// Crafting
Crafting (making objects) is pretty much essential in Bound by Flame. Search every single nook and cranny in the environment and examine the bodies of your opponents to find many components enabling you to make new pieces of equipment, consumables such as ammunition for your crossbow or potions, and upgrades to improve your own equipment: a guard for your sword, spaulders for your breastplate, etc. Inventory/bag space is limited and will impact your movement if you carry too heavy a weight. However, Bound by Flame promises to have skills/talents to level to maximise your carry weight. Emphasis is placed on crafting rather than OMGEPICLOOTZ!!

The crafting system will also have a strong aesthetic aspect. Throughout your quest, you will loot various materials and components hidden in chests or from the corpses of your dead enemies. These are the basic components to craft weapons, armors, traps, ammunition or potions that you will need to progress in the game. Most of the best pieces of equipment will be exclusive to crafting!

There are a lot of crafting resources, and each of them has several quality levels (this list is not exhaustive):

• Metal (raw, refined…);
  • Steel;
  • Gemstone;
  • Bones;
  • Leather;
  • Blood;
  • Hearth dust.

You will be able to level up your crafting skill as per standard in most RPG's, unlocking higher level plans and equipment to craft. You will need to craft consumables to prevent running out. Things like traps, ammunition (arrows) and potions for health and mana boosts.

rs1swqm.png

The character visual customization is very deep: some pieces of armor have up to 3 slots that can be upgraded, with a direct impact on your character’s appearance. Vulcan can wear four pieces of armour: chest, gloves, boots and helmet. Each of them can be customised to add various bonuses according to your gameplay style.

If you like charging into battle opt for a pure damage boost for your weapons and physical resistance on your armour! If you struggle against ranged magic increase your magic resistance! Each of these options has a direct impact on the look of your character. Just like armour, the variety of crafting options for weapons is huge.

You can customise the guard and the pommel of your blades, your war hammers, and axes. Find the one that suits you. Everything is at your disposal to customise your character in every detail, while giving you the edge you need to overcome the dangerous creatures roaming Vertiel!

// Bestiary
From all the trailers, concept art and previews, the monster and creature design has been almost unaminously acclaimed along with the rich environments. Includes but is not limited to:

// Videos

The music of 'Bound by Flame'

The combat system I

The combat system II

Original story trailer

Interview with CEO and producer of Spider

Interview with Producer

Twitch streams of a PS4 playthrough (thanks to Marcellus Wallace below)

// Previews
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/02/19/bound-by-flame-preview/
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/bound/boundflame/boundflameprev.html
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/bound-by-flame-isnat-the-next-skyrim-but-thatas-okay
http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/03/bound-by-flame-what-is-the-true-price-of-ultimate-power/
http://www.destructoid.com/bound-by-flame-is-richly-detailed-and-dark-272200.phtml

And the thing I'm looking forward to the most???? Remote play!!!!!!

B6tn3Dq.png

Mmm_-_Homer_Simpson.gif

Thread FAQ

1. What are the min spec. requirements?

System Requirements
Minimum:
OS: WINDOWS XP SP3/WINDOWS VISTA SP2/WINDOWS 7/WINDOWS 8
Processor: AMD/INTEL DUAL-CORE 2.2 GHZ
Memory: 2048 MB RAM
Graphics: 512 MB 100% DIRECTX 9 AND SHADERS 4.0 COMPATIBLE ATI RADEON HD 4850/NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT OR HIGHER
Hard Drive: 6 GB available space
Sound Card: DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE
Additional Notes: INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED FOR THE GAME ACTIVATION

2. Can I make a female character?
Yes.

3. When is the review embargo date?
Appears to be 9th May - release date.

4. What is the average price of the game?
PS4 seems to be retailing from £40 (Zavvi) up to £45. Take advantage of steam's 15% off deal for £25.49. PS360 seems to be retailing at £30.

5. Will this be available on the PSN store?
A digital version of Bound by Flame will be available on the PlayStation Store for both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. Price TBA.

6. Can I use a bow?
Main character is skilled in crossbows only. Howeevr, you may choose a companion as a bow master to accompany you.

7. Is there a NG(+) option?
No, but with different fighting focus, companion choices and branched endings, a new playthrough promises to be more rewarding.

8. Does the game have a day/night cycle?
Yes. Day and night will also affect what enemies are about. Dynamic weather has not been discussed.

9. Why did the blows look like they had no impact in the vids/trailers?
This was explained as a stat 'feature'. If you (or an enemy) has a high 'resistance' stat then when being hit you will still take damage but as you (or the enemy) are not being hurt, then the interrupt animation is not played. This sometimes makes it appear as though the blows are not being felt or are not as impactful as they should be. It appears to be a choice by design. You can put skills/levels into interrupting attacks from high resist enemy types too.

// Reviews

4/10 || Polygon
8/10 || Game Informer
4/10 || GameSpot
6/10 || Total Gaming Network
2.5/5 || Escapist Magazine
2/10 || VideoGamer
3.5/5 || Games Radar
2/5 || Saving Content
7/10 || Destructoid
4/5 || All About the Games
8.5/10 || Softpedia
5/10 || Eurogamer.de
6/10 || IncGamers
5/10 || Trusted Reviews
1.5/5 || GotGame
6,5/10 || Gamesoul.it
2/5 || USGamer
7/10 || IGN

Wolff

Great OP.

About the game i'm not even all that sure about it, but so far i'm interested and plan on giving it a chance. When this type of game works i can't get enough of it.

The_Monk

Nice OT, thank you for making it fellow GAFfer.

The place I usually order don't have this game for pre-order which is strange. I would love to get this day one, it seems a kind of game I would enjoy greatly. It may not strike as something catchy at first or even the best in the genre but I usually like these kinds of games.

Something like Kingdoms of Amalur or Lord of the Rings War in the North which I got the Collector's Edition back in the day, also this seems like a good fit for this month. Shame about the wallet however, can't keep up... :/

JJP12

Awesome OT! Haven't watched any vids, but I've read a lot on this game and it sounds really fun. I think I might avoid all pictures/videos/reviews from here on out and play the game when it releases for PS4.

sector4

Awesome OT OP!

I have it pre-ordered on PS4 and can't wait to check it out. One week isn't enough time to play through it before Wolfenstein comes out given that length estimate, but I'm going to give it my best shot :D

JoRo

Nice OT! I'm really looking forward to this. PS4 for me on Day 1, baby! I need some RPG action in my life and the cheaper price tag makes it easier to get behind. And anything that reminds me of Kingdoms of Amalur is A-OK in my book.

Buburibon

You can get it for $25 at GMG using the 25% off code. I don't have the code but I am sure someone will post it

That sounds extremely tempting. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: I've just found the 25% off voucher in my inbox. Hopefully it'll work for everyone: 9HZ09L-D4RYEU-FIW8BE

Dead

well not really...yet
Seems like a potentially solid 7/10 action rpg game like Amalur. Interested in picking it up maybe if it doesnt get slaughtered by reviews...

ref

Soundtrack by: Olivier Deriviere

Interest level has sky rocketed immensely, even though I was already interested in this title. Spiders games in the past have been flawed but still enjoyable games in my opinion.

But seriously, his scores to Remember Me and Alone in the Dark are so damn good.

Even though I primarily game on PC, I'm probably going to pick this up at some point for PS4, need some new games to play on it.

Tak3n

Banned
Just watched some gameplay....look very dark souls type of game....

There is a large thread on steam about the difficulty being off...apparently it is hard even on easy....so be aware

ref

There is a large thread on steam about the difficulty being off...apparently it is hard even on easy....so be aware

To be honest, that excites me, as long as it's not unfair hard. But even then, I don't really mind, recent RPGs have been mindlessly easy.

Alright, I'm watching the 4 hour video posted above and yeah, this looks better than a lot of the pre-release stuff.

A little janky, but good.

That's exactly what I needed to hear. I was worried that it was going to be easy actually.

Calcium

Banned
Not sure why, but this game is coming out of nowhere for me. This thread is the first I've heard of it and I'm quite intrigued. Hopefully it turns out good, I'd love to jump into a good RPG.

Zafir

Nice. I grabbed it on Steam since it wasn't too expensive. Hope it's fun. The thing I fear most about people copying the Soul's series gameplay is, most of them don't copy it very well. Witcher 2 for example tried to go that route but ended up being clunky to start and then the game got ridiculously easy as you leveled up.

Philippo

Seems pretty interesting, will come handy with the summer drought.
Still, i'm not planning on buy the disc based version, it's too much of a "risky" title to buy it full-price.
Anyone knows what the price for the PS4 digital edition is? 'been searching for it for a while, weird that we still don't know it a week from release.

Tak3n

Banned
currently trading for 9 keys on TF2 outpost so £14ish which is a nice 45% saving of the steam price

Lizardus

Nice. I grabbed it on Steam since it wasn't too expensive. Hope it's fun. The thing I fear most about people copying the Soul's series gameplay is, most of them don't copy it very well. Witcher 2 for example tried to go that route but ended up being clunky to start and then the game got ridiculously easy as you leveled up.

Action RPG genre wasn't invented by Souls games. Many games did it before and better.

Sai-kun

Banned
I've literally never heard of this game, but I think I'm going to pick it up on PS4. Need more games outside of inFamous and Trials.

I have this pre-ordered. Maybe it'll drag me away from FFXIV for a while! Graphics looked rough last time I saw it, but it was a previous-gen version they were showing.

Zafir

Action RPG genre wasn't invented by Souls games. Many games did it before and better.
Not saying it was I don't know where you even pulled that from. I was commenting on the guy who said it looked like Soul's gameplay, I haven't watched so I can't comment directly. I don't think it's a stretch to say that witcher 2's combat was influenced by it either.

Top Bottom