• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CCP re-imagining Dust 514 as Project Legion for PC

Authority

Banned
CCP's Project Legion B-Roll

http://www.twitch.tv/ccp & Project Legion - First glance
Dust 514 - Fanfest 2014

project-legion-1-100266006-orig.png

CCP re-imagines PS3 shooter Dust 514 for PC as Project Legion

Eve Online developer CCP has announced a new game called Project Legion, a re-imagining of PlayStation 3 online multiplayer shooter Dust 514 for PC.

It's "a new approach to being a mercenary on the ground", CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson told Eurogamer. "It's almost that experience made anew.

"It's taking all we learned from Dust and almost making a new game from scratch, even though it's the same team doing a first-person shooter, so they're very experienced now. And we've made good headway on it."

It's already "significantly different" to Dust, he said. "It's almost more a revolution than an evolution, and that's why we're calling it Project Legion, because it's, frankly, more like a new game."

The team has been able to get to work quicker than on Dust because it's both more experienced now and much of the world already exists on PC, in Eve. Everything had to be created from scratch for PS3.

Whether Project Legion could come to other platforms - maybe new consoles - is something Pétursson doesn't really know. It's still a young project that needs to take baby steps. Much of its future will also be decided by gauging fan reception at Eve FanFest this week, in a similar way CCP did with Eve Valkyrie last year.

Any specifics beyond those are expected to be announced in the Dust keynote happening right now.

Original Source: CCP re-imagines PS3 shooter Dust 514 for PC as Project Legion
Additional information: Meet Project Legion, the epic new first-person PC shooter from EVE Online's creators

As a long time EVE player and DUST 514 cynic, this looked really really good to me. The immersion factor of fighting on these planet surfaces looks to be amped up significantly, and having it on the home platform of EVE will definitely get interest from EVE players.

Hopefully they'll be opening up the battles to affect more than just the faction warfare systems, so this stuff can really start having an impact on the universe as it was intended.

mcz117chief

Dust 514 is an absolute atrocity, it has huge potential though and I hope it does well on the PC after a complete rework (I smell another FF14)

killercow

CHSU3sZ.png

You should have left that one be.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :) I'm excited for the game though and it should have been like that from the start. The Playstation 3 was far too limited for what they were trying to do.

Blog post: http://dust514.com/news/blog/2014/05/introducing-project-legion/

Although DUST 514 and Project Legion will function independently of one another, and are different projects on different development paths, DUST itself has a lot more shooting-in-the-face action to come. The team and I remain committed to continuing to improve the experience on PlayStation 3, while simultaneously making sure “Project Legion” becomes the experience we’ve all dreamt of.

dugdug

Banned
I enjoyed my time with Dust 514, but, I can't imagine it did very well. Glad they're not tossing the idea out, entirely.

wildfire

Banned
So will this be Dust 514's Blackops edition or Source 1.6?

Regardless it is good to see that CCP is making a PC shooter. I'm looking forward to seeing how different it will be.

Authority

Banned
In terms of footage we are currently lacking apart from one picture;

project-legion-1-100266006-orig.png

I missed that small gameplay they showed so hopefully someone will upload it later on youtube.

KOHIPEET

Interesting. This is probably their way of bringing the Dust experience to PC (and possibly PS4). I guess this because stronger platforms can handle more stuff and joining together the new, more complex game with the old one isn't possible.

I look forward to anything they come up with. I played Dust 514 right until the moment my old fat died.

Draft

"But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

No money on those boxes. 360 era is over. Time to come home.

Sh1ner

In terms of footage we are currently lacking apart from one picture;

I missed that small gameplay they showed so hopefully someone will upload it later on youtube.

Yea agreed man, I want to see that footage. I have faith in CCP to make a decent FPS since walking in stations was shown. Dust514 was not what I was expecting at all when it finally came to release.

SparkTR

Hopefully they do it right this time. Something on the scale of Planetside 2 was what I expected from a planetary EVE game, not the cramped ugly game we got with Dust 514.

TheTrain

Project-Legion-11.png

Project-Legion-2.png

Project-Legion-3.png

Project-Legion-4.jpg

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/02/p...first-person-shooter-set-in-the-eve-universe/

I mean, is it Dust on PC?

JCG: No! There's some pieces of it, absolutely. There's a studio that's spent five years building a shooter—you don't throw that away. It's a shooter.

But it's a very different experience. Just to give you a little bit of background, when I joined CCP several months ago it was very much with the idea of carrying the banner forward. Take Dust 514 forward and deliver on the promise of a true sandbox, first-person experience in New Eden. That's the vision of this.

And I felt that, as I sat with the team and we discussed where to take it, that it became quite different. That it became its own thing. And that's where Project: Legion was born, as a part of the team in Shanghai. They've started working for the past few months—it's still fairly early. We're in prototype phase on this.

We're salvaging some of the best of Dust, but it's a brand new experience. The way I see this, that ecosystem of what Project Legion is, it's three pillar.

It's a deep, balanced competitive shooter—that's the core, moment-to-moment gameplay. It's a sandbox experience, with some player versus environment in there mixed into that experience. That's important because that adds looting, and creation of value is getting you looting in these sandbox areas. And the third piece, the cement of that ecosystem, is the player-driven economy—player trading and stuff like that.

Two out of the three pillars? All new. It's a brand new experience. A different experience.

And all of this is still in the wrapper, which is the EVE universe, New Eden.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2150...son-pc-shooter-from-eve-onlines-creators.html

SparkTR

"We're salvaging some of the best of Dust, but it's a brand new experience."

That wording makes me wonder how long they're going to keep supporting Dust, especially as the already miniscule player-base dwindles as the PS3 diminishes as a platform. If they allow character transfers I wouldn't mind too much.

Honestly Dust was something they never should have greenlit, it was misguided from the very outset.

So they divided the already small dust 514 team for this?

More like they assigned the Dust 514 team on something that may actually be profitable.

As a person who has avidly played Dust since its closed beta period over a year ago this is a move that absolutely needed to happen and is one I can 100% agree with. The game as a concept was always limited by the platform it was on and I'm surprised and delighted that the EP is taking this bold step in cutting his losses and taking the necessary steps to bring the infantry side of New Eden to the place where it needs to be to realize its full potential.

The actual presentation of this though, as in the keynote itself?Pretty abysmal. It really sounded like they're dropping everything to shift to Legion development in earnest leaving the console players high and dry in the meantime, there was not a single word on how or whether or not Dust is being updated at all in the interim between Legion's release. Gotta do what you gotta do I suppose.

Zen

Banned
I mean heck two of those screenshots are of existing Dust environments.

`We're salvaging some of the best of Dust, but it's a brand new experience. The way I see this, that ecosystem of what Project Legion is, it's three pillar.`

Although DUST 514 and Project Legion will function independently of one another, and are different projects on different development paths, DUST itself has a lot more shooting-in-the-face action to come. The team and I remain committed to continuing to improve the experience on PlayStation 3, while simultaneously making sure “Project Legion” becomes the experience we’ve all dreamt of.

Yeah, this is what happens when you pull the plug on a failed PS3 only F2P shooter. Had Dust been a success, financially and otherwise, they would have just ported it, but like I said previously, basing the game around PS3 spec was a terrible and extremely limiting idea.

Hence they are basically rebuilding the game (from a design standpoint) from the ground up on PC, and we will likely see a PS4 port in the future. Dust 514 will be remembered as the Project Legion beta test that will never leave PS3 and die a slow death.

Hopefully they do it right this time. Something on the scale of Planetside 2 was what I expected from a planetary EVE game, not the cramped ugly game we got with Dust 514.

To be fair to Dust it actually has very large environments.

Hopefully it is more cohesive than Planetside 2 and I hope that they have some mechanic to help the flow of the experience, something PS2 sucks at.

What they're talking about with Legion is basically what DUST was scoped to be originally. A lot of the stuff they're talking about in Legion was planned for DUST. I assume they've just scrapped almost all of it due to technical limitations on the PS3.

KKRT00

Predictable that they moved it finally to PC. Interesting that it does not land on PS4 though, but maybe Sony want to use this on E3.

I hope that they moved it UE 4 too, like EVE Valkyrie.

So they divided the already small dust 514 team for this?

More like they shifted the Dust dev team over to the development of this, I'd expect a small skeleton crew to make sure there are no game breaking bugs but the majority of the team is probably working on Legion.

That wording makes me wonder how long they're going to keep supporting Dust, especially as the already miniscule player-base dwindles as the PS3 diminishes as a platform. If they allow character transfers I wouldn't mind too much.

Honestly Dust was something they never should have greenlit, it was misguided from the very outset.

Agreed on Dust being misguided but I imagine CCP learned a bunch from the experience and Legion will be a much better game as a result. That said ... totally think Dust is dead. I don't see them putting much development time to bother updating it any further. We just got racial parity recently annnnd ... yeah!

wildfire

Banned
Ugh this better be really good. I'm still salty that Dust basically killed WoD.

Stop lying to yourself. CCP spent millions on WoD and it still was unfinished. Dust was done by a completely different dev team. Do you even know how many offices CCP has?

with some player versus environment in there mixed into that experience.

Well that's certainly different from Dust. I wonder what the PVE will involve and what percentage they of play time devoted to it they consider to be small.

And the third piece, the cement of that ecosystem, is the player-driven economy—player trading and stuff like that.

Two out of the three pillars? All new. It's a brand new experience.

After reading the rest of the article I see where they are coming from with this statement.

I hope CCP offers good PVE in their sandbox areas because it took them way too long to improve the pve in their main game from "paint drying" to below average.

Also, remember this is a free-to-play product, and the PC is a big market for free-to-play.

While the non-existent price point is great for getting more people into the game I wonder if their game will be robust enough.

What they're talking about with Legion is basically what DUST was scoped to be originally. A lot of the stuff they're talking about in Legion was planned for DUST. I assume they've just scrapped almost all of it due to technical limitations on the PS3.

PS3 doesn't have technical limitations that prevented CCP from implementing these features. The problems were from the inexperience of the team.

Small as they may be the Dust community was dedicated

Majority of them have Gaming PCs and bought a PS3 to play the game

Regardless of having the new game appear on their main platform it kinda sucks for them to feel like being gunnie pigs

Does all their purchased content transfer?

How about their progress?

What will happen to the game, seeing as they said they had a long term vision with multiple new ideas like Magma Planets, spaceship invasion etc....

Kinda sucks

KKRT00

Small as they may be the Dust community was dedicated

Majority of them have Gaming PCs and bought a PS3 to play the game

Regardless of having the new game appear on their main platform it kinda sucks for them to feel like being gunnie pigs

Does all their purchased content transfer?

How about their progress?

What will happen to the game, seeing as they said they had a long term vision with multiple new ideas like Magma Planets, spaceship invasion etc....

Kinda sucks
They will still updating Dust, but not to the same degree and can You really blame them? Do You even see Yourself playing MMO on PS3 two years from now?

---

Apparently they just cancelled the drone PvE for Dust and moved it to Legion only. This whole Fanfest has been a kick to the nuts for Dust fans, the official forums are raging.

Seriously, who actually thought that they will support Dust on PS3 for more than 3 years?

SparkTR

Apparently they just cancelled the drone PvE for Dust and moved it to Legion only. This whole Fanfest has been a kick to the nuts for Dust fans, the official forums are raging.

The Light

They will still updating Dust, but not to the same degree and can You really blame them? Do You even see Yourself playing MMO on PS3 two years from now?

I saw myself playing this for that long.

Yea Dust is basically dead....

sueil

Dust on PS3 was pretty god damn bad. I was so excited for it originally as a EVE player but the end experience was nothing but disappointment. Maybe project legion will be good.

Top Bottom