• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward, Neversoft Merging into Single "Super Studio"

skynidas

Banned
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/i...t-merging-into-single-super-studio/1100-4909/
Call of Duty: Ghosts developer Infinity Ward is about to get a serious shakeup. Giant Bomb can report the developer is merging with former Tony Hawk's Pro Skater developer Neversoft, who actually helped Infinity Ward out with the development of its last major shooter

The news was disclosed through a very recent internal memo penned by Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing, that was obtained by Giant Bomb.

The newly merged studio will still be called Infinity Ward.

more at the link

V_Ben

Banned
There are big changes happening at Neversoft due to the transition, as well. Studio head Joel Jewett and studio director Scott Pease, who have both been at the company for more than 20 years, "have made the difficult decision to retire" from games.

This part made me sad. Those two have been around for years.

Weird news.

Xater

Well for the games they are working on maybe for the better. IW needs all the help they can get ever since all those people left and having everyone under one roof might improve quality.

kuYuri

RIP Neversoft name.

For those who are also not aware, this is not new. Gray Matter Interactive, who developed the Call of Duty: United Offensive expansion pack for CoD1, was merged into Treyarch soon after UO shipped.

Omega

Banned
Wouldn't this require the studios to be good?

This would be like Brian Scalabrine, Adam Morrison and Kwame Brown signing with the same team and the NBA calling it a super team.

Silky

Banned
It finally happened. Neversoft is finally kicking it.

Damn...I really hope this IW shit backfires for Activision.

6ivOJr2.jpg

RIP Neversoft :(

Gaz_RB

It's insane how much the name "Infinity Ward" has changed for me. It used to mean amazing World War 2 games, then it meant my favorite game of all time, COD4. Now...it's a shadow of its former self in my mind.

Tapejara

Jeez, that's terrible. I actually like Infinity Ward, but it's a shame that Neversoft is losing its identity.

How long until Raven also becomes merged in with this Super Studio shit?

Ugh, if this happens...I don't even know how I would react. Raven should be making Singularity 2 and other cool projects.

I fear what will happen to all these studios when Call of Duty drops off the radar.

Even when COD declines it will take a long time to do so. Whilst Activision are publishing Destiny, Bungie own it, I wouldnt expect Activision to be long-term happy with relying on just Bungie in the multiplayer shooter space when as I said they dont own Destiny.

I expect that with the 3 studio rotation (IW/Treyarch/Sledgehammer) they would let at least one of them look at a new IP, if the situation arose where COD wasnt a competitive game in the multiplayer space sales wise

Silky

Banned
consider this: Neversoft has had a near spotless track record of games from Tony Hawk to Guitar Hero. Gun was brilliant. Hell even their work in ghosts was brilliant.

Why...

kuYuri

Activision is going the Blizzard route of only having 3-4 franchises with the occasional licensed game.

Top Bottom