• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward, Neversoft Merging into Single "Super Studio"

Poor lil' eyeball :(

7d054c245a81fcdd1ea10b655060d92d.gif

eXistor

Well that's that for Neversoft. Can't say I didn't see it coming. Still a very sad thing to see happening.

megalowho

Sucks to see the Neversoft name go away but they haven't really been on my radar in a long time. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater will always be their legacy, and ain't nothing wrong with that.

Between the two there's probably potential for a great studio, though a studio in all likelihood tasked to make Call of Duty games for it's foreseeable existence. Maybe they'll have an opportunity to create a few smaller projects on the side, but that's not really the Activision way. Hope the transition goes as smoothly as possible for those involved.

LAA

RIP Neversoft... :(

First things that came into my head from them (as others have said), their awesome Spiderman PS1 games (Think they made the 2nd one too...), and their damn awesome logo animation.

Now they've been lowered to making COD.... (Sure they have money, but now their dignity/passion is gone!)

I still remember when they released Tony Hawk Pro Skater, then Spider-man and followed that up with THPS2. Even the game that they released before THPS (Apocalypse) was actually a really good Contra-style shooter. Many (including myself) thought that they were on track to be the next big studio in the industry.

Many (including myself) thought that they were on track to be the next big studio in the industry.

They were. And then they weren't. And now they aren't. I was such a THPS fan for years until the bloat happened with 4. Gun was OK, if a bit rough around the edges.

A shame about them being absorbed. At least merging with IW gives both teams a shot at working on something as opposed to one or both closing down.

Ridley327

Although I won't claim that Neversoft's most recent solo games were anything amazing, they still had one hell of a run in the early part of the last decade, and for that alone, they deserved a more dignified fate than quite literally becoming a CoD studio.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
poor Neversoft.

but they haven't really been anything but a support studio recently, so they probably don't have the talent to do anything else but that anymore.

This was inevitable, but sad nonetheless. I owned basically all of the console Guitar Hero games at some point or another.

I even owned Band Hero for a few hours.

sn00zer

I thought Neversoft was gone....have they done anything in the past 5 years? I think they did Guitar Hero after Harmonix, but that was it

Maybe the thought is that stitching up two meandering devs will lead to a halfway decent product?

It is sad to see Neversoft go though. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater was the first video game I played on the first console I owned (PS1).

dyergram

I mean good luck to everyone evolved but I can't help thinking in six months time were going to here about loads of these people being let go.

Madness

Infinity Ward is Infinity Ward in name only. Otherwise Respawn is basically most of the team that made CoD2, CoD4:MW,MW2 etc.

fasTRapid

Banned
Wouldn't this require the studios to be good?

This would be like Brian Scalabrine, Adam Morrison and Kwame Brown signing with the same team and the NBA calling it a super team.
LMAO. Infinity Ward has been a wreck for the last years, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

wrowa

Kind of shows how deep both studios have fallen. Even Infinity Ward is nothing but a shadow of its former self -- it's undeniable that their Call of Duty games used to be really great games in the past, stuff like Modern Warfare helped to define the last generation for a good reason, but you wouldn't believe that when playing MW3 or Ghosts. IW used to hate what Treyarch is doing to do the franchise -- but they are pretty much making better games than IW at this point.

Top Bottom