• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diplomacy has failed: The Wonderful 101 de-confirmed for Smash Bros. 3DS/ Wii U

Richie

MdFwH9e4epjM

I -knew- they wouldn't make it, but that didn't stop me from hoping. Not even assist trophy status, man ain't that a shame.

This didn't need a thread, it's just a simple trophy reveal.

I'm bummed he didn't get an AT, but he was never gonna be playable.

Tripon

Wow, this is going to get some salt from fans.

Was anyone really expecting this? The reveal for Wonder Red or another W101 character would have been back in summer 2013 when W101 came out.

Eusis

This didn't need a thread, it's just a simple trophy reveal.

I'm bummed he didn't get an AT, but he was never gonna be playable.
The only way he'd have been playable was probably if W101 was the surprise hit of the Wii U, pushing crazy sales and possibly even being a popular system seller rather than just for those who are already hardcore.

The only way he'd have been playable was probably if W101 was the surprise hit of the Wii U, pushing crazy sales and possibly even being a popular system seller rather than just for those who are already hardcore.
Probably not even then. If it was a surprise hit then they'd probably have to delay the game to add him in. Wonder Red ain't exactly Sonic the Hedgehog.

Not surprised. It would be really tough to make them work. Having the necessary number of Wonderful Ones onscreen to sell their concept would probably be unfeasible, and scaling it down to the main characters would likely feel underwhelming and unfaithful to what the game actually is.

That said, any representation they do get is very welcome.

Zalman

Wonder Red is lucky he became a trophy. Anyone who expected a rep from TW101 set themselves up for disappointment.

bobawesome

A character from a super niche title was relegated to trophy status in a game that tends to only star recognizable and/or popular characters? Boy, I am shocked.

Varjet

Hope is coming to a crawl and sadness fills the air...

Oh well, at least people can now stop asking if The Wonderful 101 is first party :p

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
How does it confirms the game doesn't get at least an AT? Every character appearing in the gameplay in one way or the other gets a trophy right?

Still, TW101 gets a plug in Smash. It's a good thing.

I want a (spoiler for TW101 ahead)
Platinum Robo shooting the Shirogane Comet
Assist Trophy, I won't stop believing. FOR EARTH, FOR THE FUTURE.

That's a shame. Wonder Red was one of the characters I wanted in. I'm going to be a mopey person when the next character they announce is another shitty clone character that wastes a spot.

Eusis

Probably not even then. If it was a surprise hit then they'd probably have to delay the game to add him in. Wonder Red ain't exactly Sonic the Hedgehog.
Admittedly that fantasy situation might make it worthwhile to do so, but yeah things are likely just way too far along to do anything like that.
A character from a super niche title was relegated to trophy status in a game that tends to only star recognizable and/or popular characters? Boy, I am shocked.
There's been a fair few more niche characters that have showed up, but they're usually series particularly important to Nintendo staff or at least are internally developed. W101's like Last Story or something in that regard.

EDIT: And the biggest example, Mother characters, was still fairly popular in Japan anyway.

Stoze

Having a trophy means they're not in? I haven't been following the Smash Dojo/Pic of the Day stuff and just the directs. But wasn't there trophies of everyone in past smash games, including the smashers themselves? Thought it was just AT that meant they weren't in.

Not like he or the rest of the Wonderful 100 had much of chance anyway though.

Having a trophy means they're not in? I haven't been following the Smash Dojo/Pic of the Day stuff and just the directs. But wasn't there trophies of everyone in past smash games, including the smashers themselves? Thought it was just AT that meant they weren't in.

Showing his trophy when he's playable would be the trolliest thing Sakurai has done yet.

Newcomers are revealed in trailers, and all new characters are immediately added to the website with a tab displaying their name. Wonder Red doesn't have either.

popyea

Fuuuuuck. Would be a pretty hard character to do justice to though. Wonder-Red without his wonderful ones and Unite Hand is not epic.

Doesn't meet Sakurai's requirements to be in. Has to be on 2 separate games for Nintendo consoles. Bayonetta isn't even on 1 already.

If Bayo 2 comes out before smash, she will have been in W101 (as an unlockable character) and her own game.

New Charecters are always revealed via trailer so I think this sadly confirms that wonder red is not playable
On the other hand you never know especially with Trolley McGee at the helm.

atr0cious

If anything, this means they've at least got a shot as an AT. We didn't know if Sakurai was going to acknowledge them at all. Not only did he, but says a few more have trophies as well. If Olimar can exist, The Wonderful 101, has got a shot.

Please.

This is super disappointing. I always new it would be hard to make him a character as unlike Pikmin he would need several other characters the same size as him to do moves and with the 3DS that wasn't going to happen. Still was hoping he could just use punches with a truly awesome final smash. I can't remember if I put him on my roster or not. I feel like I did because I hoped he could somehow find a way to get on there.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
how does this deconfirm him? it doesn't explicitly say only a trophy

could be trolling

Yeah, maybe he's role-playing as Kamiya

Riposte

We will never know what it is like to have Wonder Red give a custom introduction for every character in the game as a taunt.

Stoze

Newcomers are revealed in trailers, and all new characters are immediately added to the website with a tab displaying their name. Wonder Red doesn't have either.

I realize that, that doesn't discount what I said. This was more my line of thinking:

Showing his trophy when he's playable would be the trolliest thing Sakurai has done yet.

So it doesn't truly deconfirm it, but Sakurai's never shown off a smasher trophy so it's pretty much guaranteed a no go. Got it.

Top Bottom