• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon Claims Nintendo Will Develop New Consoles For Emerging Markets

From The Verge

Nintendo has said it will release new consoles targeted at emerging markets, marking a strategy shift for the Japanese gaming giant. The products will be built from the ground up to serve these markets, rather than repurposing existing hardware. "We want to make new things, with new thinking rather than a cheaper version of what we currently have," CEO and president Satoru Iwata told Bloomberg News. "The product and price balance must be made from scratch."

Searched, lock if old.

Usobuko

Banned
Nintendo should add the softwares must have universal appeal too not just centric on one little region or demographic. Then again, Nintendo software usually have universal appeal.

Ahasverus

Good luck trying to sell emerging markets your $60(+local taxes) 4 years old games. I hope that "price balance" includes game prices!

I have to add my clarification to stop mass quoting.
I meant that is the ammount hypotetical games "discount" would sell For (or more because local taxes). Imagine they sell a game for $10 local taxes would add $50 and nintendo wouldn't change the price (as they dl now). In my country nintendo games sell for $125 ffs (stuff like Galaxy2)

Snakeyes

Would tie in nicely with their Nintendo Family of Devices hardware model. This is an example of a product that would be much easier to design based on a scalable hardware architecture.

rrs

Good luck trying to sell emerging markets your $60(+local taxes) 4 years old games.

I'm guessing a completely different model of business there, most likely a home console version of a 3DS or a successor with different games. There's no way in hell Nintendo will burn money making special hardware for the emerging markets.

Castcoder

Banned
Maybe this is what that weird replaceable button/joystick portable system was for. Then again, it was also an idea for the 3DS... I'm out of ideas.
expecting this to become a #Nintendoomed thread

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, interesting idea. I could see this being really cool. But I'm wary of development time being split even more ways... Maybe it'll just be a Virtual Console machine?

DNAbro

That's exactly what they say they aren't going to do. It's talking about different business models that work in growing markets.

Wow so much Nintendo news right now.

I think they should definitely try selling the Wii U in other markets, but whatever they end up doing, they need to advertise better and more.

Ahasverus

Read the damn thing child.
I did, just misunterstood sorry. I just have little faith in them changing their model, I can see them trying new cheap games... That look cheap.. And then comparatively aren't that cheap.. But we'll see. The wii was a total hit in those markets too
Cool. The thing is that they could sell them for $20 but local taxes make them jump to $60 or more anyways. $60 games sell for $120 in some countries. Probably more!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sega has been doing something like this for decades in Brazil.

I think they are up to Mega Drive 7 or 8 :p
What the hell, really? I had no idea! What's the difference between each iteration?

Shengar

By emerging market, does they mean Southeast Asia and the likes? From the bolded point in the OP, I thought it as much since we Southeast Asian people really price sensitive here due to low living cost. If that is true, then Nintendo would you please open a branch here in Indonesia or at least Singapore?

doofy102

Pretty sure this will be more creative than just "F2P Mario console", it sounds like Iwata's statement indirectly states they want to think outside the box a bit more than that. Mario is a traditional console experience game, they won't take that and gimp it, they'll build something from the ground up that will probably feel like a more natural F2P experience and likely it will be influential in the app scene, provided this new "console" sells. Really I think Nintendo should just play it safe with this one and do Nintendo-quality apps for already existing hardware.

Renekton

"We want to make new things, with new thinking rather than a cheaper version of what we currently have," CEO and president Satoru Iwata told Bloomberg News. "The product and price balance must be made from scratch."
New cheaper hardware = no tablet controller = I'm so buying this.

Actually that´s not what they said. ^^

Another prime excample of

Iwata: Nintendo will make A in the future:
Press: How boring. I think he meant they will make B for sure! Let´s make a headline!

hawk2025

What the hell, really? I had no idea! What's the difference between each iteration?

Yep.

Here's a TON of the variations:

http://www.sega-brasil.com.br/Tectoy/index.php?title=Mega_Drive

Super_Mega_Drive_3_ed_43_Jogos_Caixa_Frente.jpg

Mega_Drive_Portatil.jpg

Mega_Drive_ed_86_Jogos_2.jpg

Mega_Drive_4_Guitar_Idol_1.jpg

Usually they change the form factor, pack ins, whether or not it even accepts cartridges, etc.

mantidor

How did the iQue work? that would give us a more concrete idea of what to expect. What was different from their other consoles? price? distribution model?

Nintendo: Hey let´s NOT sell special consoles to emerging markets! New ideas are needed!
Verge professionals: Nintendo is totally making special consoles for emerging markets.

Sad thing is, this will spread for years to come.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Emerging markets are not primitive tribes in the middle of the amazon forest, They have satellite TV. They are people who also want a playstation. If they can't get a PS4, they'll get a PS3 with a shitload of pirated games, or a PS2.

They don't want some shitty console designed for poor people. Nintendo is from a rich country and has no deep understanding of emerging markets so they'd better be very careful about their assumptions.

Riki

Emerging markets are not primitive tribes in the middle of the amazon forest, They have satellite TV. They are people who also want a playstation. If they can't get a PS4, they'll get a PS3 with a shitload of pirated games, or a PS2.

They don't want some shitty console designed for poor people. Nintendo is from a rich country and has no deep understanding of emerging markets so they'd better be very careful about their assumptions.
Again, this isn't about consoles. It's about making appealing but inexpensive software.

daxgame

Good luck trying to sell emerging markets your $60(+local taxes) 4 years old games. I hope that "price balance" includes game prices!

I love how Iwata said exactly that the "classic $60 price tag" is the main reason as to why they can't just localize their stuff and you're making this post

Ahasverus

I love how Iwata said exactly that the "classic $60 price tag" is the main reason as to why they can't just localize their stuff and you're making this post
I clarified. I meant that is the ammount hypotetical games "discount" would sell For (or more because local taxes). Imagine they sell a game for $10 local taxes would add $50 and nintendo wouldn't change the price (as they dl now). In my country nintendo games sell for $125 ffs (stuff like Galaxy2)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Not sure how I feel about this. Between this and QoL, I have to wonder how much focus Nintendo is still going to put into their traditional games business going forward.

Though, obviously, the traditional games business doesn't love Ninty back right now...

Top Bottom