• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

ref

Should be noted hes getting 45-60 fps with a 3770k @ 4.5ghz and 780 ti.

Game doesn't look that great to warrant that performance, imo.

Is TXAA expensive? I never really used it in games because I felt it blurred, I'm curious what the other AA options are and the performance hit... or is this just another unoptimized Ubisoft game, or maybe my 670 is just getting obsolete.

Glad to have seen all these screenshots/footage of the game before release though, went from interested in buying at full price later to waiting for a sale.

Marcel

Watch_Dogs WiiU screenshots are now in the wild.

Ufskiv7.jpg

GavinUK86

Game doesn't look that great to warrant that performance, imo.

Is TXAA expensive? I never really used it in games because I felt it blurred, I'm curious what the other AA options are and the performance hit... or is this just another unoptimized Ubisoft game, or maybe my 670 is just getting obsolete.

Glad to have seen all these screenshots/footage of the game before release though, went from interested in buying at full price later to waiting for a sale.

TXAA is usually quite expensive. Took a huge hit in AC4 when going into the jungles. I usually like how it looks though. Great for railings etc.

Saganator

I saw some streams and that Jack Frag youtube video, and the game looks like a blast to me. I was weary after the delay, but now I'm back in on the hype train. The physics are a little wonky at times, and the vehicle damage could be better, but I think Rockstar has spoiled us. Most of the scrutiny of the graphics is not game breaking or immersion breaking to me. You can play just about any game, make a gif of the footage, and find crappy looking image, so I'm too worried bout that stuff. Little disappointed about the lack of shadows on NPC's during the day, but if that was a sacrifice they made to ensure smooth game play, then I guess it had to be done.

Never seen so much collective hate for a game, though. Devs have been revealing games with bullshots for a long time, I hope after this, it becomes a thing of the past. I never really expected the 2012 E3 reveal to actually look like that. Maybe later in the generation with Watch Dogs 2 or 3... on a PC. we'll have the 2012 E3 reveal graphics.

Linius

It's better to have just one screenshot of the same location in 3 different settings. Low, Medium, Ultra. That's easier to compare.

Good point.

If someone who's lucky enough to have the game already can do that it would be great. Would be great if it's a serie of screenshots featuring different kinds of weather and different times during the day. That would give a good idea.

It was in relation to the "low" PC settings ......

Which still looks better than the 360 version, as far as we've seen. Plus I'm not entirely sure what you mean by it looking F2P.

Oh no, someone is making fun of my anticipated AAA video game. It must be the worst thread on GAF.

I didn't realize that we were in OT threads to make fun of games. I thought they were supposed to be discussions about them.

styl3s

PC version for me is a complete cluster fuck just as i suspected.

Stays around 40-45fps even on low settings with vsync off but i get screen tearing for some absurd reason so when vync on i am then capped at around 30-35 fps. Looks like i will be running back to this game shop and picking up the PS4 version as well because i don't have patience to continue with this game. I will revisit it on PC once they patch it 13 times and get it semi-optimized. I should of known better and i told myself i wasn't going to get the PC version but they had it and i guess i had an ounce of hope.

Game shouldn't run this bad on a i7-3770, 12gb ram and a GTX 660. It's not a super high end PC but i can run Saints Row 4, Wolfenstein, Wildstar and just about every other new game out there on high/ultra at 60fps. Wildstar pre-patch around 40fps.

What I don't get is for the people who are so anti Watch Dogs or anti Ubisoft why are you here? Why not go do something more enjoyable instead if complaining about graphics?

I don't get it.

Pandemic

Stays around 40-45fps even on low settings with vsync off but i get screen tearing for some absurd reason so when vync on i am then capped at around 30-35 fps. Looks like i will be running back to this game shop and picking up the PS4 version as well because i don't have patience to continue with this game. I will revisit it on PC once they patch it 13 times and get it semi-optimized. I should of known better and i told myself i wasn't going to get the PC version but they had it and i guess i had an ounce of hope.

Game shouldn't run this bad on a i7-3770, 12gb ram and a GTX 660. It's not a super high end PC but i can run Saints Row 4, Wolfenstein, Wildstar and just about every other new game out there on high/ultra at 60fps. Wildstar pre-patch around 40fps.

Oh jeez, should I cancel my PC pre-order..? o.o

What I don't like is the the AWESOME gameplay they showed off in 2012 to hype us up, and to now. Sure, there could be a few slight downgrades, but these are pretty major downgrades..

The way the gas station explodes in the E3 trailer looks great, but now it looks like a little explosion that does hardly anything.

Marcel

Which still looks better than the 360 version, as far as we've seen. Plus I'm not entirely sure what you mean by it looking F2P.

I didn't realize that we were in OT threads to make fun of games. I thought they were supposed to be discussions about them.

I was discussing things earlier then I had a big laugh about how bad the game looks on 360. Do you have a relative that works on Watch_Dogs or something? I don't understand why it bothers you that some people can have a laugh at a game's crummy and drab look.

What I don't get is for the people who are so anti Watch Dogs or anti Ubisoft why are you here? Why not go do something more enjoyable instead if complaining about graphics?

I don't get it.

Because it's an open forum. For the same reason fanboys can endlessly, and baselessly, praise the game, others can endlessly hate on it. And most of the people here aren't anti-anything - they have beef with certain aspects that didn't live up to their expectations, as they have the right to do, since they are the consumer.

ref

I don't get it.

Doesn't seem like it's all complaining about the visuals -- there's been quite a bit of discussion of people not feeling the gunplay or car driving mechanics. I'd be interested in hearing some story/general writing quality impressions though.

Welp.

Marcel

I don't get it.

I'm doing the internet equivalent of looking at an accident on the side of the road. I'm also a consumer that they want to buy the game and they're doing a shitty job to me.

You're free to use your ignore feature if you take someone ripping on your anticipated video game personally.

Kssio_Aug

I saw some streams and that Jack Frag youtube video, and the game looks like a blast to me. I was weary after the delay, but now I'm back in on the hype train. The physics are a little wonky at times, and the vehicle damage could be better, but I think Rockstar has spoiled us. Most of the scrutiny of the graphics is not game breaking or immersion breaking to me. You can play just about any game, make a gif of the footage, and find crappy looking image, so I'm too worried bout that stuff. Little disappointed about the lack of shadows on NPC's during the day, but if that was a sacrifice they made to ensure smooth game play, then I guess it had to be done.

Never seen so much collective hate for a game, though. Devs have been revealing games with bullshots for a long time, I hope after this, it becomes a thing of the past. I never really expected the 2012 E3 reveal to actually look like that. Maybe later in the generation with Watch Dogs 2 or 3... on a PC. we'll have the 2012 E3 reveal graphics.

I have already seen many bullshots or reveals that are far away from the game itself. But usually those revelas does not present a HUD and a guy saying that its on real time... Usually they say thats rendered on the system and turns silent or say it will be close to that.

On Watch_Dogs that was like a gameplay video. We could expect a downgrade but that was huge. I mean... Thats ok to expect that they will not reach that result, but if they intend to sell a fake gameplay they should be cautious of how distant the end result will be like, and they pushed it too far.

Hasney

Doesn't seem like it's all complaining about the visuals -- there's been quite a bit of discussion of people not feeling the gunplay or car driving mechanics. I'd be interested in hearing some story/general writing quality impressions though.

That glowing French magazine said it was the only bad point.

Pretty interested myself at this point. I feel like AC has horrible writing, but FC3 was pretty good. I don't think they can do fantastic at Ubi though, so I'm hoping that it falls into terrible but good to laugh at territory.

Linius

I can react with that 'there's no need to be upset' gif to almost every single post in this thread at this point. Let's not fight each other people :lol

styl3s

Oh jeez, should I cancel my PC pre-order..? o.o

What I don't like is the the AWESOME gameplay they showed off in 2012 to hype us up, and to now. Sure, there could be a few slight downgrades, but these are pretty major downgrades..

The way the gas station explodes in the E3 trailer looks great, but now it looks like a little explosion that does hardly anything.
I am going to go back to the store in about 10 minutes and pick up the PS4 version.

The game, even with the flaws is still fun to me. I don't really care about 1080/60 like a lot of people but what i do care about is being consistent in terms of frames and the PC version (for me at least) is all over the place. It's worse then Infamous second son. I will be driving and hit 50s and then suddenly it will drop to 30 and stay at 30 or below. I had these exact same problems with Far Cry 3 and AC4 for the first month-ish until they patched it and optimized it a little more.

The graphics also don't bother me. Everyone keeps calling it hideous and downgraded but i think it looks great and as for all the lighting downgrades and stuff it's like are you people new to video games? It's not new to bullshit your trailers, that's how it's always been.

According to a few ATI users their experience is just fine.

Maybe it's a nvidia issue? Like i said, i should of expected this. Every Ubi game outside of their "indie" stuff like Child of Light has ran pretty shitty for me until patched. It's a bummer, i kind of wasted $60 on this. I mean, not wasted. It's playable i just cannot play a game that fluxuates frames this bad, i would rather play it on PS4 and get a good locked 30fps because vsync does absolutely nothing for me other then stop the screen tearing, it still goes from 50-55 to 25-30 to 45-50 to 20-30 and its random and annoying.

Drewfonse

I was ready to give the game shit, but the couple hours I spent with the PS4 version last night impressed me. It's a bit sterile looking at times and there are plenty of nit-picky omissions, but there's still quite a lot of little details and I didn't see it drop a single frame.

The AI drivers are totally hilarious. They'll just patiently stay put forever if there's a wreck at an intersection.

When the time of day changes and the sun comes from that direction, it actually looks pretty close to that.

More PS4 impressions, sir.

Hasney

The VSYNC point makes sense. If you're running at 60Hz, it's trying to get to 30 and lock it since it can't reach 60. As for the performance, sounds like Ubi alright.

Marcel

I can react with that 'there's no need to be upset' gif to almost every single post in this thread at this point. Let's not fight each other people :lol

I was happy making those Aidenfaces so I'm not sure why people think I'm completely full of venom. This game seems to be going into delightfully bad eurojank territory.

Saganator

On Watch_Dogs that was like a gameplay video. We could expect a downgrade but that was huge. I mean... Thats ok to expect that they will not reach that result, but if they intend to sell a fake gameplay they should be cautious of how distant the end result will be like, and they pushed it too far.

A while ago, because of Call of Duty showing ads on TV not depicting actual game play, a law was passed that forced publishers to disclose somewhere on the screen that its not actual game play. Perhaps something similar should be for game reveals? Doubt it will ever happen, though. Hopefully publishers just don't want to "pull a Watch Dogs" ever again.

Man, you just rewarded them for shitty performance. And man, I had hoped this would run better than it does. It'll get better because Ubisoft games always do after fifty gazillion patches (cept for Future waaaarrier recon). I gotta GTX 770 4gb, 8gb RAM, and a i5-3570k so all but my graphics card are worse than yours. I guess the people harping about how they would purchase the PS4 version even though they had a beast of a PC were right to do so.

GHG

I am going to go back to the store in about 10 minutes and pick up the PS4 version.

The game, even with the flaws is still fun to me. I don't really care about 1080/60 like a lot of people but what i do care about is being consistent in terms of frames and the PC version (for me at least) is all over the place. It's worse then Infamous second son. I will be driving and hit 50s and then suddenly it will drop to 30 and stay at 30 or below. I had these exact same problems with Far Cry 3 and AC4 for the first month-ish until they patched it and optimized it a little more.

The graphics also don't bother me. Everyone keeps calling it hideous and downgraded but i think it looks great and as for all the lighting downgrades and stuff it's like are you people new to video games? It's not new to bullshit your trailers, that's how it's always been.

Just lock the game at 30fps through nvidia inspector.

Messiek

This topic is haunted by iambladers aka iamthedogethatwatches.
People will never stop discussing how bad it looks or how good the gameplay is ...

We are doomed : )

Watch_Dogs WiiU screenshots are now in the wild.

Ufskiv7.jpg

Will probably look pretty much like PS360 counterparts. Been playing the PS3-version for about an hour and honestly it looks pretty good and performance is decent. The game though is pretty boring. Vehicle handling is shit which makes everything related to driving boring. Car crashes are insignificant which also takes away what would have been fun in that regard.

EDIT: The interface. Horrible, horrible interface. Can't take away the phone. Forced to always see profile clutters on screen as soon as someone walks by the camera.
Mmm. Going to give it a bit more of a chance, but if things doesn't turn around soon I'll drop this.

Phil4000

Aside from the great looking water simulation I am not really that impressed with the game running on Ultra, especially considering the sky high system requirements to run on those settings... disappointing :(

Marcel

Aside from the excellent water simulation I am not really that impressed with the game running on Ultra especially considering the sky high system requirement to achieve those settings... disappointing :(

It speaks to the poor optimization on Ubisoft's part. It's a similar situation with their ports of Assassin's Creed games to PC.

styl3s

Man, you just rewarded them for shitty performance. And man, I had hoped this would run better than it does. It'll get better because Ubisoft games always do after fifty gazillion patches (cept for Future waaaarrier recon). I gotta GTX 770 4gb, 8gb RAM, and a i5-3570k so all but my graphics card are worse than yours. I guess the people harping about how they would purchase the PS4 version even though they had a beast of a PC were right to do so.
I had that tiny ounce of hope that this time it would be different. Again, i don't have a super high end machine but i am fairly certain my rig should have 0 problems playing this game on high @ 60fps.

Just lock the game at 30fps through nvidia inspector.
I will have to download it and give it a try because i am 100% ok with playing a game locked at 30fps, just want constant framerate.

So much hate for what is likely to be one of the better next gen releases on these new consoles. In fact, I kinda guarantee it.
I think it gets unfairly shit on with the graphics. My complaints are strictly a performance thing.

This is easily one of my most anticipated games and the little time i did play i had a blast. I am just waiting to go meet a friend for lunch and then i am picking up the PS4 version. I hope they go into crunch mode and push for a day 1 optimization patch for the PC. Maybe the inspector thing the guy suggested will make the PC experience better.

Drewfonse

This topic is haunted by iambladers aka iamthedogethatwatches.
People will never stop discussing how bad it looks or how good the gameplay is ...

We are doomed : )

I'm pretty sure that when more people actually have the game, we'll have much more gameplay back and forth. I have a feeling that this game will surprise some people, in a good way. And yes, I'm basing this solely on internet videos.

Top Bottom