• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor Review Thread

kubus

K3weqNW.png

Kotaku - Yes
Expertly honed and original gameplay that supports a moving story delived in a compelling way. What's not to like?

The Verge - no score
Transistor sinks its teeth into you. It’s a slow burner that doesn’t make the best first impression, with poorly-explained mechanics and attempts at intrigue that fall flat until the story opens up. But once the combat and upgrade system click, there’s no letting go.

Rock Paper Shotgun - no score
Transistor’s got brains, heart, and a knack for always knowing just what to say and when to say it. And also, perhaps more importantly, it knows precisely when it’s better to say nothing at all.

VG247 - no score
Do yourself a favour and seek out Transistor to remind yourself that this industry’s imagination isn’t all dried up; you just need to look away from the dizzying shadow of those tired blockbusters to see it.

IndieGames - no score
There's no cutting around it: Supergiant Games had big shoes to fill with its follow up to its phenomenal debut title Bastion. Transistor and its giant sword stand proudly next to their predecessor as a deftly-crafted amalgamation of gameplay and story.

God is a Geek - 10/10
It may not be the longest experience, but it is worthy of absolutely anyone’s time. Supergiant have delivered, and proved that if you really care about something, it will show when it is played.

NeoSeeker - 10/10
Here is a game from Supergiant that once again defies convention by doing away with the boundaries and limitations that would only hinder our immersion. Transistor is subtle and jarring all at once, but doesn’t come off as conflicted in any way.

ZTGD - 9.5/10
Players looking for a very artistic world with unique narration and an amazing soundtrack, you have just found it. Strategy fans will have a great time taking on the combat, and anyone looking for a great game for $20 should not pass this up. Transistor has the style along with the game play that makes this a must own for many.

OnlySP - 9.5/10
Transistor is not an action filled ARPG, despite its top-down perspective, and those that approach it as a fast-paced slash-‘em-up will not get all that is to be appreciated out of it. Transistor is there to be contemplated, to be considered, to be slowly consumed. And it is delicious.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9.5/10
The entire game has a snowball effect when you play it. Each sparkly new facet knocks you over when you come upon it, and you get hit harder and harder as all the wonderful elements stack up. The art and music, the story, the environment, the gameplay, and the characters all tie back to each other in a way that I did not expect, and left me speechless when it culminated and the credits rolled.

Digital Chumps - 9.2/10
Its painterly visuals and pitch-perfect use of musical themes call to mind the greatest moments of 90's-era Japanese role-playing games. Its attention is focused on the first time through the game, but not lost on the second or third. Completing any one of these objectives would have been enough to satisfy those with a particular affinity toward a specific style, but watching them succeed as parts of a larger game widens its appeal and makes a declarative statement; Transistor is how games should be made.

IGN - 9/10
Transistor’s the kind of game that made me immediately jump back in to take on New Game Plus. I wanted to continue exploring the excellent combat in new, more challenging scenarios. I wanted to double back on the areas that I’d missed the first time through, and try to fill in the gaps of the fantastic story. But most of all, I wasn’t ready to leave Red or her world behind

Eurogamer - 9/10
Enjoy the artful approach to science-fiction, enjoy the hoops Supergiant's jumped through to position you in the right place to engage with its combat, and you can even enjoy the very fact that the game often struggles to get its deeper messages across.

Game Trailers - 9/10

Game Informer - 9/10
Transistor’s focus on combat lets it shine, but one battle after the next results in a strictly linear path to game completion that can feel repetitive. And while it plays into the game’s story, I found myself wishing I had the chance to visit Cloudbank before it was abandoned; as it is, it’s a very isolating adventure. Players looking to find all the answers by the time the credits roll are likely to be disappointed. Transistor is as much about what is left unsaid as what is explained. I find that openness to interpretation refreshing; I suspect I won’t be the only one.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5
Though it can be vague, strange, and inaccessible, Transistor is one of the strongest games of 2014 so far. Its unique take on standard video game practices make it feel undoubtedly fresh. With strong combat, great enemy design, and a lovely story, Transistor will reward those who put in the time. - See more at: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/05/20/review-transistor/85396/#sthash.3aMsHsRm.dpuf

US Gamer - 4.5/5
Great combat mechanics and excellent writing help Transistor transcend the familiarity of its individual components. A gorgeous, intriguing, and ultimately moving tale, Supergiant's sophomore effort builds on the strengths that made Bastion so memorable without feeling like a mere retread.

Push Square - 9/10
Transistor is an absolute triumph: a stunning sensory experience that buoys its lofty ambitions on a rock solid strategic core. It spins a tale of love, technology, and political and social unrest that speeds confidently towards a magnificent crescendo. What’s more, the razor sharp combat remains thrilling throughout, and the visuals and music display an almost superhuman level of polish. While niggling complaints can certainly be levelled at the gorgeous indie, a trip to Cloudbank comes highly recommended.

Meristation (Spanish) - 9/10

The Sixth Axis - 9/10
Following on from Bastion, I doubt many would have begrudged Supergiant from heading down the same path again. While Transistor does hold certain similarities, such as having the constant presence of a voice and the general underpinnings of the action RPG gameplay, the Turn() planning phase completely transforms the manner in which you will tackle a fight, making it a far more considered and tactical experience. Add to this the strengths of the world that has been created, Darren Korb’s soundtrack, the charm of Ashley Barrett’s voice, and the clever story that unfolds, and Transistor is a near essential game to own on PS4.

Polygon - 8.5/10
Transistor may look like another pretty face favoring style over substance. It’s oozing with style and aesthetic charm, and it drew me into its weird and wonderful world immediately. But its beauty is outshined by combat deep enough to sink into for hours and hours. The game’s vision is intoxicating, and its execution is inspired.

Destructoid - 8.5/10
Supergiant Games hasn't delivered a wholly new experience with Transistor but it's still an enjoyable game that's well made and has wonderful art and sound. The new tactical combat is welcome and there's some real enjoyment to be had in tinkering around with all of the available Functions. However, if parts of Bastion left you cold, then you may find the similar structure of Transistor and its themes will have a hard time winning you over.

PC Gamer - 8/10
The story Transistor does tell is dished out in tantalizing morsels, and I had to spend some time reflecting on the ending to decide what happened. Perhaps because of that vagueness, Transistor's emotional climax didn't hit me like Bastion's did. Supergiant's games are, in that sense, mirror images—the first with shallower combat but a powerfully told story, the second with deep, tactical battles but a story that doesn’t fulfill the promise of its world.

Digital Spy - 4/5
In that way, Transistor is like a virtual croissant. It is layered and delicious, but there is a lingering airy emptiness to it that makes it hard to fill up on just one. Have another, or in this case play through Transistor again in Recursion mode, and you'll have your fill, but the deeper meaning it strives for feels like little more than empty carbs.

GameSpot - 8/10
Transistor is always a good-looking game, but in these instances, it demonstrates a rare knack for combining its visuals and music to powerfully convey both narrative information and tone, driving the story forward with Red's own unwavering resolve. So in the end, yes, Transistor is a fun action role-playing game with a neat combat system, but beautiful moments like these make it more than that. They make it a game with a soul.

PC Games (German) - 8/10

RPG Site - 8/10
All in all, Transistor is an exceptionally gorgeous title with an enjoyable layered skill system. With all the different possible skill arrangements available, players who like to tinker and experiment will greatly enjoy all the options Transistor has to offer on this front. It’s clear that this was the major focus as a core element of the title. However, some might be put off by the linear structure of the world, short length, or meager storyline. In the end, Transistor is a delightful piece of entertainment and a worthy follow up to the well-acclaimed Bastion.

GamesRadar - 4/5
Transistor's clever combat and incredible customization makes for an intensely fun strategy game, but the world and story leave much to be desired. Come for the art and wonderful soundtrack, stay for the ability to freeze time and slash up robots.

Game Reactor - 8/10
Super Giant Games avoids the dreaded sophomore slump, and Transistor is certainly a game any fan of turn-based tactical RPGs should take a closer look at. It's beautiful, memorable, highly replayable, deep, stellar from a sound perspective, but ultimately falls just short of the high bar set by Bastion.

GameStar (German) - 74/100

The Escapist - 3.5/5
Sometimes frustrating in terms of both gameplay and narrative, Transistor manages to be a redolent title with a ton of imagination. While not quite as clever as its presentation suggests, it's a pretty little title that ends on a beautifully bittersweet note.

Game Reactor (Norway) - 7/10

Quarter to Three - 2/5
When I reviewed Bastion, I wrote the review as a list of 15 things all games can learn. For me, the real disappointment of Transistor is that developer Supergiant seems to have forgotten half those things.

Send me a PM if you feel I missed a site or if there are any mistakes. Thanks!

I've played for 6 hours now and this game is absolutely incredible. Big publishers should really learn from those amazing indie developer.

Congrats SuperGiant.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Here I thought release date embargoes meant the game was trash and the developer/publisher had no confidence.

Unleash this game on PSN, Grace Chen!

Pretty much every game gets a 8, a 9 or a 10, these days. How do I know which ones are actually good and which ones are bad? What does it take for a game to get a 1, a 2, a 3, a 4, a 5, a 6 or a 7?

viveks86

Whoa whoa whoa! Congrats Kasavin and team. Not surprised with the good scores, but didn't expect it to be this good!

marrec

Banned
Pretty much every game gets a 8 or a 9 these days. How do I know which ones are actually good and which ones are bad? What does it take for a game to get a 1, a 2, a 3, a 4, a 5, a 6 or a 7?

2 Options:

Find a reviewer whose opinion you trust and you agree with most of the time and rely on them while ignoring everything else.

Or

Take a chance and buy the game based on your solidified interests. Did you like Bastion? Do you like ARPGs? Do you like cyberpunkish sci-fi settings?

Chances are you might like this game.

Top Bottom