• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor Review Thread

viveks86

The PlayStation 4 and PC versions are nearly identical save for one feature: On PS4, you can choose to have the sword’s voice come out of the speaker on the controller. While it seems gimmicky on paper, I found myself playing through the entire game this way, and really appreciating the immersion it added to my experience.

Nice!

solarus

He goes out of his way to give everything that is popular/well reviewed a low score, so I would not put much weight in his verdict.
edit: For those wondering, look at the big games on Metacritic, he nearly always gives a 2/3.
Well he gave black flag 5 stars. His reviews are odd since they are exaggerated, like for games he didnt like they can be given a one star, like halo 4. Now while halo 4 is a bland and disappointing game, its definitely not one star worthy.
Also this game has a lot of depth and complexity to it and is a slow burn initially, definitely not something id look for tom chick's opinion about.

kubus

Pfew. Think I got all the sites posted so far. Let me know if I missed one and/or if there are broken links/wrong scores.

Going to add some review snippets to the OP now.

JLeack

Banned
Tom Chick says it's bad so I'm not buying it.

/s

I have $20 in my Steam wallet from my Trials Fusion return (I thought it had online multiplayer). I think I may pick this up after reviewing Watch Dogs.

Here's from PlayStation LifeStyle (not a banned site anymore)
:http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/05/20/transistor-review-ps4/

7.3/10

That's a website bug. Reload the page. PlayStation LifeStyle gave it a 9.5/10.

Why were they banned previously?

Raven77

Any chance / news that this would come to the Vita? I really don't want to pay 20 bucks for it only to have to re-buy it again later.

Well he gave black flag 5 stars. His reviews are odd since they are exaggerated, like for games he didnt like they can be given a one star, like halo 4. Now while halo 4 is a bland and disappointing game, its definitely not one star worthy.
Also this game has a lot of depth and complexity to it and is a slow burn initially, definitely not something id look for tom chick's opinion about.

I didn't know about ACIV, but he needlessly rates down every game.. I do think more reviews should explore the spectrum but Halo 4 IS NOT a 1/5 game.

megalowho

Pretty much every game gets a 8, a 9 or a 10, these days. How do I know which ones are actually good and which ones are bad? What does it take for a game to get a 1, a 2, a 3, a 4, a 5, a 6 or a 7?
Don't mean to sound flip but read the reviews for more information on what the particular strengths and weakness are to see if it's your kind of good game. Scores are just shorthand, no matter where they fall on the scale they don't tell the full story of a reviewer's opinion or purchasing advice.

Ansatz

Pretty much every game gets a 8, a 9 or a 10, these days. How do I know which ones are actually good and which ones are bad? What does it take for a game to get a 1, a 2, a 3, a 4, a 5, a 6 or a 7?

They review high profile games, not shovelware, and it's usually someone who's a fan of the genre / developer / franchise, hence high scores across the board.

eznark

Banned
He goes out of his way to give everything that is popular/well reviewed a low score, so I would not put much weight in his verdict.
edit: For those wondering, look at the big games on Metacritic, he nearly always gives a 2/3.

He absolutely loved Bastion and wrote multiple pieces about how brilliant it was.

His criticism seem to be voiced in other reviews for Transistor, they apparently just bothered him more.

bluexy

Any chance / news that this would come to the Vita? I really don't want to pay 20 bucks for it only to have to re-buy it again later.

No news at all on that front yet, but after Bastion did so well they did port it around a little. I'd expect that if sales on PS4 are strong a Vita port is absolutely a possibility.

marrec

Banned
Don't mean to sound flip but read the reviews for more information on what the particular strengths and weakness are to see if it's your kind of good game. Scores are just shorthand, no matter where they fall on the scale they don't tell the full story of a reviewer's opinion or purchasing advice.

Or just don't rely on reviews so much. It's possible to buy a game without having to worry about whether other people like it.

Leonardo-Dicaprio-Oh-My-God-Fist-Bite-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif

Jb

Glad I didn't make a mistake by preordering it on PSN.
Now if only I could actually download it, that would be nice.

solarus

I didn't know about ACIV, but he needlessly rates down every game.. I do think more reviews should explore the spectrum but Halo 4 IS NOT a 1/5 game.
Definitely agree about halo 4. He can be really odd with his scoring and his reviews text can needlessly shit on a game over one small aspect.

marrec

Banned

JLeack

Banned

Not true. See, what you're doing wrong is you're ONLY following the games that people know about. There are thousands of games that come out every year, but only a small handful of them have high enough of a budget to have awareness of gamers. These games have a small chance of being anything less than good.

If you go and check out the reviews of every game this year you'll see there are way more games below the 70% mark than above it. It's just that these games were discrete to begin with.

lantus

These reviews are pretty much what I expected, which is why I pre-ordered as soon as I could on PS4, can't wait to get home and play this later! :)

Top Bottom