• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zenimax sues Oculus VR

Press release:

ZeniMax Media Inc. and id Software LLC File Suit against Oculus VR, Inc. and Its Founder, Palmer Luckey

ROCKVILLE, Md., May 21, 2014 (BUSINESS WIRE) — ZeniMax Media Inc. and its subsidiary, id Software LLC, filed suit today against Oculus VR, Inc. and its founder, Palmer Luckey, for illegally misappropriating ZeniMax trade secrets relating to virtual reality technology, and infringing ZeniMax copyrights and trademarks. ZeniMax is also asserting claims for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, and unfair competition against the defendants. The suit was filed in federal court in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.

The suit arises from the defendants' unlawful exploitation of intellectual property, including trade secrets, copyrighted computer code, and technical know-how relating to virtual reality technology that was developed by ZeniMax after years of research and investment. ZeniMax provided this valuable intellectual property to defendants under a binding Non-Disclosure Agreement that specifies such intellectual property is owned exclusively by ZeniMax and cannot be used, disclosed, or transferred to third parties without ZeniMax's approval. ZeniMax's intellectual property has provided the fundamental technology driving the Oculus Rift since its inception. Nevertheless, the defendants refused all requests from ZeniMax for reasonable compensation and continue to use ZeniMax's intellectual property without authorization.

All efforts by ZeniMax to resolve this matter amicably have been unsuccessful. Oculus has recently issued a public statement remarkably claiming that "ZeniMax has never contributed IP or technology to Oculus." Meanwhile, Luckey has held himself out to the public as the visionary developer of virtual reality technology, when in fact the key technology Luckey used to establish Oculus was developed by ZeniMax.

"Intellectual property forms the foundation of our business," said Robert Altman, Chairman & CEO of ZeniMax. "We cannot ignore the unlawful exploitation of intellectual property that we develop and own, nor will we allow misappropriation and infringement to go unaddressed."

"ZeniMax and id Software take their intellectual property rights seriously," said P. Anthony Sammi, a Partner of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP which represents ZeniMax and id in this matter. "We now look to the federal courts and will pursue all appropriate measures available under the law to rectify defendants' egregious conduct," he added.

So John Carmack's old buddies are suing his new buddies?

Also, does it have anything to do with Carmack? I'm pretty sure he had some "trade secrets", don't know if it's anything worth suing over.

Vuze

Yeah, hope this turns out okay for Oculus and Zenimax shuts up about this, I doubt they stole some super-secret VR stuff from Zenimax.

sflufan

Banned
Interesting to note that John Carmack was not named in the suit.

Naturally, this will be settled out-of-court in a relatively short space of time.

Falifax

Didn't id get sued up their ass in their early days because they developed games on computers they didn't own?

This is going to be interesting.

Kysen

Read this (quoted as a source)
Complaint

Some of the claims they are making are pathetic.

At that time, the Rift was a crude prototype that lacked a head mount, virtual
reality-specific software, integrated motion sensors, and other critical features and capabilities
needed to create a viable product. Carmack was given a copy of the prototype by Luckey, and
Carmack and other ZeniMax personnel added numerous improvements to the prototype.
Together, those ZeniMax employees literally transformed the Rift by adding physical hardware
components and developing specialized software for its operation

They are trying to take the whole thing as their own.

iosefe

ihvbfat.gif

KissVibes

Banned
The Facebook legal team is about to own themselves a game publishing arm backed by the likes of Baseball icon, Cal Ripkin Jr.

Fox318

Am I the only one who feels like Zenimax was the one that was screwed over?

I feel like the whole story hasn't been told yet.

I don't usually root for mega-corporations, but I hope Facebook win and those wankers at Zenimax are knocked down a peg or six.

Why? Is there proof that Zenimax is lying? Because if Oculus really did infringe on their trademarks and stole trade secrets then they definitely deserve to get sued.

EVIL

The suit arises from the defendants' unlawful exploitation of intellectual property, including trade secrets, copyrighted computer code, and technical know-how relating to virtual reality technology that was developed by ZeniMax after years of research and investment. ZeniMax provided this valuable intellectual property to defendants under a binding Non-Disclosure Agreement that specifies such intellectual property is owned exclusively by ZeniMax and cannot be used, disclosed, or transferred to third parties without ZeniMax's approval. ZeniMax's intellectual property has provided the fundamental technology driving the Oculus Rift since its inception. Nevertheless, the defendants refused all requests from ZeniMax for reasonable compensation and continue to use ZeniMax's intellectual property without authorization.
futuramafry.jpg

spookyfish

They were OUTRAGED at what has been going on right out in the open in front of their eyes so much so that the $2 billion Facebook paid for Oculus was just the last straw!

Yeah I guess you guys are right. Timing was no accident.

Do you think Facebook will settle or fight it out?

I hope they fight. This is nothing more than glorified patent trolling.

Hellshy.

Perhaps they should have done this before Facebook bought Oculus...

These things take time. They may very well have been working on this before Facebook came into the picture but if they have a atrong case they are probably glad someone with lots of cash came into the picture

Edit: im probably alone in this but this Palmer luckey has appears more and more shady to me. I cant really put a finger on it but something has always Bothered me when it comes to him., even more so these last few months

Top Bottom