• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zenimax sues Oculus VR

Its impossible to think carmack didnt use zenimax resources and if zenimax proves carmack did to create any tech then zenimax has a case. Even one line of code on a zenimax pc makes the case for lawyers

Effect

Not sure why people are assuming that Zenimax's allegations aren't conceivably true. It'll be interesting to see how this gets resolved.

They want Oculus to succeed and want to ignore potential wrong doing that could stop that from becoming a reality. That's what I take as the reason for why there is an automatic assumption that Zenimax is saying isn't true or deny it could even be true. If things seem to line up with what was said public by Carmack, etc then things might not look good for Oculus and Facebook is going to be pissed if they didn't know about this ahead of time.

KHarvey16

Zenimax employees using know-how gained on the job to work on a project outside of that company doesn't entitle Zenimax to anything. If it did, anyone who wasn't at their first job would owe all their previous employers a cut of their paycheck.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Was he helping them with the use of ZeniMax's resources, or was he doing that of his own accord and with his own ideas that aren't copyrighted by ZeniMax?

I might be mistaken but I believe there are some contracts that state anything you come up with or work on while you're under employment is their property.

cakefoo

There aren't really any facts yet, so you're effectively saying we can't talk about this? You know legal cases are all about choosing which sides "facts" are true right?
Then we're on the same page: taking sides without facts is silly.

To add, people who do that and then label it their "opinion," are patently ignorant, and they have nothing rational to add to an open discussion.

Schnozberry

Zenimax employees using know-how gained on the job to work on a project outside of that company doesn't entitle Zenimax to anything. If it did, anyone who wasn't at their first job would owe all their previous employers a cut of their paycheck.

It's not knowledge or skills that were used. It was allegedly technology and code covered by signed NDA that were provided by Zenimax to Oculus. There is a huge difference.

Was he helping them with the use of ZeniMax's resources, or was he doing that of his own accord and with his own ideas that aren't copyrighted by ZeniMax?

This is the heart of the case and the what they have to prove in court. It depends on the fine print of contracts that were signed.

I'll say again that just because something sounds unfair or fucked, does not mean the law is not on Zenimax's side.

Wouldn't matter. Anything he created while working for Zenimax, regardless of whether he did it on his own time or work time, is likely owned by Zenimax. Big companies and even schools always do this.

I might be mistaken but I believe there are some contracts that state anything you come up with or work on while you're under employment is their property.

On their pc not on your personal pc . I can be a facebook employee but I can create a technology on my own laptop and facebook cannot touch it but if i used Facebook's laptop then facebook will own it

epmode

Wouldn't matter. Anything he created while working for Zenimax, regardless of whether he did it on his own time or work time, is likely owned by Zenimax. Big companies and even schools always do this.

It happens, sure. I'd like to see any kind of proof that Carmack signed a contract like that, though.

On their pc not on your personal pc . I can be a facebook employee but I can create a technology on my own laptop and facebook cannot touch it but if i used Facebook's laptop then facebook will own it

Nope. Facebook can totally own it if you signed a contract saying they own anything you create as long as you're employed by them.

Edit: Misread it but according to the complaint it should all be within the scope of his employment as Zenimax claims it was done with their employees and code.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Zenimax's point is that this was work done at Zenimax, and quite a lot of it work done before Oculus Rift was even a 'thing'.

Not work done by Carmack now that he has left Zenimax. Work done back in 2011/2012.

The claim even screencaps emails from Carmack to Luckey wherein Carmack sent code and other assets, after E3. I guess Luckey will have to prove this stuff was unused or didn't have any impact on Rift's development. I think that'll be tricky.

sflufan

Banned
Zenimax employees using know-how gained on the job to work on a project outside of that company doesn't entitle Zenimax to anything.

Actually, depending on the terms of the employment contract, that's exactly what would be the case. This is especially so in "knowledge industries."

Adry9

Interesting, I hope us consumers don't end up screwed by this however in turns out. Also Oculus has a clear advantage budget wise thanks to Facebook.

Schnozberry

It's a gray area, but depending on the contract signed, anything that was developed using Zenimax's time and/or resources could legally belong to them. If Carmack used tools and equipment borrowed from Zenimax to create prototypes in his garage during his free time on the weekends, they'd still own it.

Clov

Can Zenimax prove that Carmack used their resources/time to develop Oculus code? I'm not well-versed in legal matters, so I'm genuinely curious.

jett

D-Member
Read this (quoted as a source)
Complaint

Some of the claims they are making are pathetic.

They are trying to take the whole thing as their own.

I know for a fact Carmack wrote drivers for the thing while being a Zenimax employee. Carmack's heavy involvement and interest in Oculus was one of the main reasons there was so much good will about it at first. Zenimax may have a case.

Reading the PDF they do seem to have a strong argument here.

Among plenty of other nuggets is this:
Carmack made breakthrough modifications to the Rift prototype based upon years
of prior research at ZeniMax. Among other improvements, Carmack identified, applied, and
developed proprietary solutions to address field of view, center of projection, and chromatic
aberration issues; added specially-designed sensors and other hardware; and programmed
software to reduce latency and to prevent distortions

But there's a lot of smoke there. Can't say I'd be shocked to see some fire out of all of this.

Zenimax's point is that this was work done at Zenimax, and quite a lot of it work done before Oculus Rift was even a 'thing'.

Not work done by Carmack now that he has left Zenimax. Work done back in 2011/2012.

The claim even screencaps emails from Carmack to Luckey wherein Carmack sent code and other assets, after E3. I guess Luckey will have to prove this stuff was unused or didn't have any impact on Rift's development. I think that'll be tricky.

Then it's fair game.

Oh it's completely within your right to have an opinion based solely on fanboyism and not facts. It doesn't contribute to the legal discussion in any way. Cheerleading to boost morale is an effective way to influence simple minds, but it doesn't actually have any logical persuasive qualities.

Oh okay. I see what you are now.

Nikodemos

From the counterclaim:

There is not a line of ZeniMax code or any of its technology in any Oculus products.
ZeniMax did not pursue claims against Oculus for IP or technology, ZeniMax has never contributed any IP or technology to Oculus, and only after the Facebook deal was announced has ZeniMax now made these claims through its lawyers.
Despite the fact that the full source code for the Oculus SDK is available online (developer.oculusvr.com), ZeniMax has never identified any ‘stolen’ code or technology."

58. At about that same time, Carmack advised Luckey: “It is very important that you NOT use anything that could be construed as Zenimax property in the promotion of your product. Showing my R&D testbed with the Rage media would be bad, for instance.”

59. Luckey replied, “I will make sure we do not show the Rage demo in the Kickstarter, but is there any chance we can mention support/show a quick clip from Doom 3/BFG Edition?” ZeniMax turned down Luckey’s request, instructing that Luckey rely on publicly-available information for Kickstarter promotional material.

60. On August 1, 2012, Luckey launched the Oculus Kickstarter campaign. The funding target was set at $250,000. The Kickstarter page featured a five-minute video describing the modified Rift headset.

61. In blatant disregard of ZeniMax’s rights, Defendants used ZeniMax’s intellectual property in the Kickstarter video. The video features multiple clips showing “DOOM 3: BFG Edition,” displayed on the modified Rift headset. The video also used “DOOM 3: BFG Edition” to promote the modified Rift by displaying, without authorization, ZeniMax’s logo for “DOOM 3: BFG Edition” as the first Oculus-Rift ready game. Further, despite the lack of any commercial agreement with ZeniMax, Defendants promised that certain backers of the Kickstarter campaign would receive copies of ZeniMax’s game “DOOM 3: BFG Edition” with support for the modified Rift.

LOL

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ha. In the claim Zenimax says that both Zenimax and Carmack warned Luckey not to use anything Zenimax (i.e. Rage or Doom3) in further promotion of OR...yet he used Doom in the kickstarter promotion (even offering copies to backers apparently?) and a Rage demo in further press promotion.

It's sort of a minor thing vs some of the other claims but they're really painting Luckey as someone who was very keen to exploit Carmack/Zenimax for credibility.

edit - beaten above!

This. Don't see why they don't outright say what Oculus stole or Carmack made.

That's probably evidence. They wouldn't mention the specific things here but do say:

43. A few days later, ZeniMax set up a file transfer protocol (“FTP”) arrangement to send additional VR Technology to Luckey pursuant to the Non-Disclosure Agreement:*

44. ZeniMax sent Luckey additional proprietary information on an ongoing basis:

45. Luckey used ZeniMax’s VR Technology that he acquired through the FTP site and otherwise to create and promote the modified Rift headset.

46. Around the same time, ZeniMax also sent cables and customized sensors to Luckey and disclosed – pursuant to the Non-Disclosure Agreement – additional hardware design improvements regarding optics calibration and sensor mounting.

55. On July 21, 2012, Luckey asked ZeniMax how to “flash” (i.e., install) customized firmware onto the sensors that ZeniMax selected for the modified Rift. ZeniMax provided that know-how, and further suggested an improved location on the modified Rift for mounting the sensor that “would be best from an alignment and rigidity standpoint.” Luckey then sought ZeniMax’s technical guidance regarding the selection of low latency cables.

56. On July 25, 2012, Luckey asked ZeniMax for the customized binary code for the tracking sensors that Carmack had added to the modified Rift. Pursuant to the Non-Disclosure Agreement, ZeniMax provided Luckey with a link to an FTP site to download the binary code. Luckey downloaded the customized binary code and used it for future demonstrations of the modified Rift.

Carmack in the email in that section (pg.17) also mentions the .exe he sent.

Reading all this. Zenimax will get a big pay day either with a settlement or a win. Their case seems strong but it will be pocket change for Zuckerberg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
From the counterclaim:

I think some of the software Zenimax is talking about would exist at a much lower level than the SDK. Some of it was hw driver code I think. I don't think OR has made that level of code available (?)

I'm no lawyer, I guess if Oculus can prove that none of the code from Zenimax/Carmack was transferred to a third party at any point - i.e. that it was changed or excised before it could be disclosed to another party - that would probably be the grounds for their defence. Although Zenimax might make claims about derivative works...

Zenimax also seems to be also making a broader point about the importance of their work back in 2012 to Oculus, not just how much of that code is line-for-line present today. However I've no idea about the legalities of what compensation Zenimax could expect for that.

Denton

Oculus further demanded that ZeniMax provide extensive marketing and ten
thousand free copies of “
DOOM 3: BFG Edition
” for Oculus to provide to its Kickstarter
investors. In return for those demands, Oculus offered to ZeniMax an equity stake in the
company of 2%, subject to dilution
, which would only vest after three years, and then subject to
additional conditions

Oculus also proposed that ZeniMax pay Oculus $1.2 million for an additional 3%
stake.

Yeah...I guess Zenimax was not happy with this offer.

And Zenimax gave them counter offer, to which:

On November 13, 2012, Oculus responded to this counterproposal, asserting that
ZeniMax’s proposal “is so far out of the ballpark, we’re left wondering if there’s any hope

Go on.....
I can't summarize the whole thing, much has been touched upon.
There is this:
carmack8okl7.png
For all talk of compensation, ZeniMax does not have an abundance of documented requests within the document, in fact there seem to be a lack of explicitly defining how compensation was sought prior to the talks around an equity stake. it seems around that time was when the Occulus started to take-off.

That's probably evidence. They wouldn't mention the specific things here but do say:

Carmack in the email in that section (pg.17) also mentions the .exe he sent.

If Carmack used his work email to send those he is kind of screwed. Even if he was using his @idsoftware.com Zenimax is in their rights to say they own that communication.

Even before this thing blew up I was worried about the way Carmack was involving himself in this project. Like if I tried to do this where I work now, they would hang me out to dry.

Schnozberry

This is going to be a jury trial, likely with a jury not filled with GAF Members. It will be interesting to see if this even gets to court.

Leb

Well, that is an incredibly detailed complaint. Reading through the facts of the case as presented by Zenimax, one gets the impression that Luckey was operating under the assumption that everyone was collaborating in good faith. Zenimax, of course, is a ruthless multinational run by a fundamentally dishonest man -- Luckey probably should have foreseen this outcome.

Anyways, regardless of whether any impropriety actually occurred, I think Zenimax may be able to fuel the perception of impropriety, and that may be enough for a quick, painful settlement.

Nikodemos

Trying to associate their "tens of millions of dollars in R&D" with whatever pitiful amount their cited VR research cost them is some shady shit, too.
Facebook have one of the best data mining programmes in existence (the others being Google and Amazon, entirely unsurprisingly). If there's a scrap of evidence they can use, you bet they already have it.

The reason I personally dislike ZeniMax is said company appears to be run by old-school vulturous assholes, which I abhor. Even if you drool when gazing upon the riches your former slave has managed to accrue, be reasonable. VR exclusivity for your IPs on the Oculus is more than enough repayment. Don't be a greedy fuck.

Top Bottom