• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

EYEL1NER

I just spent several hours sorting BattleCON Devastation, War Revised, War Extended, and more. Most everything is still in its original box at the moment though. I'm glad I finally dug through it all to see what is what because I am missing some stuff. I fired off a support request to L99 a bit ago.
I also forgot that I had more promo choices available to me during the War Revised Kickstarter than there are promos and so I got duplicates of four of them. I am going to see if anyone on BGG would be willing to trade for some of the older promos (not the ultra-rare backer promos for War, of which there are only 15 of each promo in the wild, but Danny the Saint, Claus and Windhall, the three Strikers promos, etc).

Zalasta

Yeah i dunno, i think cooperative games are just not in their idea of games. All about competitions. So i think red dragon inn might be the next game i purchase but I'm not sure haven't played it myself yet

There are cooperative games with individual goals, Cutthroat Cavern is a good example.

Taborcarn

I was at a family event this weekend and brought Pandemic with me. It was a hit. My sister and her fiance game a bit (they have Catan, Magic, and Cards against Humanity) and they were able to dive right in. My stepfather doesn't play much beyond Uno but he picked it up quickly and had a blast. He also works in a clinical pathology lab at a hospital so he got a kick out of the theme as well.

I also picked up Istanbul and ONUW:Daybreak from the B&N clearance, so it was a pretty good weekend.

Experien

Played Defenders of the Last Stand solo this weekend.

I enjoyed it and found it easy to play. Was only able to kill one clan leader before the Last Stand was invaded and I lost. You get a lot of actions when solo but feel it is quite hard since the board is so big.

Dreavus

I just spent several hours sorting BattleCON Devastation, War Revised, War Extended, and more. Most everything is still in its original box at the moment though. I'm glad I finally dug through it all to see what is what because I am missing some stuff. I fired off a support request to L99 a bit ago.
I also forgot that I had more promo choices available to me during the War Revised Kickstarter than there are promos and so I got duplicates of four of them. I am going to see if anyone on BGG would be willing to trade for some of the older promos (not the ultra-rare backer promos for War, of which there are only 15 of each promo in the wild, but Danny the Saint, Claus and Windhall, the three Strikers promos, etc).

Sorting that monster was sort of fun in a weird way. It took me many hours over a few days to sleeve and sort but I think it was worth it.

My experience with level 99 support has been really good two separate times. Once I found I was missing a character's base and the other time I had broken one of the spin counter clips and needed another. Both times they basically asked "what's your shipping info" and sent replacements for free.

I picked up Legendary Encounters Alien while it was on clearance at my local Barnes & Noble. $28 (with 10% B&N membership) seemed like a good deal. Excited to sit down and play it.

Blizzard

Banned
My Barnes & Noble didn't seem to have any sales advertised or marked on games or puzzles, sadly. Maybe the sale had already ended by Sunday?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I picked up Legendary Encounters Alien while it was on clearance at my local Barnes & Noble. $28 (with 10% B&N membership) seemed like a good deal. Excited to sit down and play it.

Great game. Kind of the ultimate manifestation of the Ascension/Legendary system as long as you can get over the sorting and relative complexity (for a deckbuilder). By far the most thematically rich deckbuilder out there.

TI82

Banned
Got bring out yer dead, and car wars from the sale. Got fury of Dracula as well but not part of the sale. $85 all together for the three isn't bad especially when the bulk of that was in Dracula which I've wanted for a very long time.

Vard

My Barnes & Noble didn't seem to have any sales advertised or marked on games or puzzles, sadly. Maybe the sale had already ended by Sunday?
I got Jamaica from them and they had a lot in the back apparently, but no mention of it on the store floor. Not sure if it's like that at all stores (some employees might be hoarding it for themselves?) but you can call them in advance about particular games and ask them to check the stock.

Blizzard

Banned
I ended up getting a Ravensburger 500-piece puzzle for under $5, but passed on the rest of the clearance section at B&N. Sadly they were out of Legendary: Alien and only had Legendary: Predator.

TI82

Banned
I ended up getting a Ravensburger 500-piece puzzle for under $5, but passed on the rest of the clearance section at B&N. Sadly they were out of Legendary: Alien and only had Legendary: Predator.

Yeah didn't see alien either just predator and it didn't have a red dot.

Picked up escape and my first stone age from 365 games. They have a 10% sale at the moment which isn't amazing. But free delivery and the ... current difficulties with the british pound make it worth a look.

I think my first stone age will be a winner with miss 5. Just the right amount of collection with very light strategy.

MikeRahl

Been getting my co-workers off of monopoly the last few months with Catan and ticket to ride. Going swell. Move onto betrayal at house on the hill... dead on arrival. Try Battlestar Galactica.... deader than dead.

Always disappointing when people don't want to evolve.

I think anyone could have predicted that was going to go the way it did. Not only did you go WAY WAY up the complexity scale, you also added theme.

I always find that people are willing to play along and maybe not know what is going on in games that are pretty theme agnostic, but as soon as there is theme there is, if they don't understand what is going on and not having fun, why would they even bother.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Picked up escape and my first stone age from 365 games. They have a 10% sale at the moment which isn't amazing. But free delivery and the ... current difficulties with the british pound make it worth a look.

I think my first stone age will be a winner with miss 5. Just the right amount of collection with very light strategy.

My First Stone Age is a great kids game. One of the best My First ones for sure. Play it with my four-year-old and got her to understand how worker placement and resource collection and spending works from that game. :D

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Got first plays pf Mysterium and Homeland tonight. Needless to say both games will be getting quite a lot of playtime.

Lupercal

Banned
I love trying new games but yeah I am more into heavier games. My new house is full of gamers so it's cool no big deal just trying to introduce people to more games

Yeah i dunno, i think cooperative games are just not in their idea of games. All about competitions. So i think red dragon inn might be the next game i purchase but I'm not sure haven't played it myself yet

Get Lords of Vegas man, great game and a step up from Monopoly.

joelseph

Speaking of love. Are we going to do a meetup at Gencon this year? I am free except for Saturday night. Who all is gonna be there? Anyone need help in their booths?

I don't know if BSG and Betrayal are that far from "beginner games", I just think you may have sold them on one thing and then switched to something different. I'm not a beginner, and I'd rather play Ticket or Catan than BSG or Betrayal.

Come on, BSG take hours to play with a shit ton of rules. It's way beyond beginner games.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Betrayal might be ok for casual gamers if it wasnt for the betrayer part. BSG is about as far as it gets from a casual game. I would say that every
Konieczka game is lol

TI82

Banned
Come on, BSG take hours to play with a shit ton of rules. It's way beyond beginner games.

Rules seem pretty straight forward. Move, take action from your hand or area, draw crisis and resolve then activate the enemies.

My groups complaint was that it seemed like you could do a lot and that they don't like reading. Plus they are overly competitive card counters so i can see why they would be going crazy trying to plan out insanely long strategies instead of just having fun with a game. But who knows

mercviper

Played a few games over the weekend.

Evolution

Pretty fun for a light game that plays many people. Lots of card synergies quite a puzzle to see how to get your species to survive everyone else. Food ran out reaaaally quick on the last turn which I didn't expect and I misunderstood a couple of the rules (like the ability to keep cards between rounds), but A++ would play again.

Murder in Hong Kong

Another Avalon/Werewolf type game but only with the roles of Merlin/Assassin/Minion. The added twist is the dash of Concept/Mysterium in the game where the arbitrator also plays the role of silent cluegiver using preset boards. Pretty interesting take and I would play it with some of my play group over others, but I also have so many social deduction games that I don't know if I need to get another one.

Food Chain Magnate

Really unforgiving game with zero randomness, just anticipation of upcoming player turns based on previous purchases. Played it a couple times and still don't quite grasp the winning strategy. Something about cornering the markets but easier said than done imo.

Millenium Blades

For a game that's pure RNG I liked it a lot, but maybe that's my M:tG background giving me bias. I can't tell you what exactly I liked about it but maybe after a couple more plays I'll be able to.

I went to Barnes and Noble and found The Duke in the clearance bin for 50% off (paid under $18 for it)! The expansion/spinoff game, Jarl, was also on clearance, but I decided to go with the original.

I also finally played my copy of Sanzen Sekai tonight. Really light, luck driven game, but easy to learn and pretty fun. The theme is super unique and my wife really likes it. It felt a lot like Monopoly Deal, but you are trying to get rid of cards instead of acquiring them.

Karkador

Banned
I saw copies of Terra Mystica, Bora Bora, La Isla, Legendary Encounters, and Homeland. Resisted it ALL somehow, because my shelves are full and I'm spending a lot building a new PC.

:(

On the brighter side, I played the Twilight Struggle app with a good friend for the first time, and we had a lot of fun.

zulux21

A 2-player Scythe review: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1598580/would-you-build-empire-2p-review-scythe

Scythe is shipping! Sadly it's supposed to get here a few days after our game night on Sunday. I'm super pumped about it but trying not to spam the thread. :p

still looks super boring @___@

granted
ka54wSd.png

looks super boring as well but is actually a decent amount of fun if you like detective stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
still looks super boring @___@

granted

looks super boring as well but is actually a decent amount of fun if you like detective stuff.
I like Euro games and parts so it's suited for me at least. :p

*edit* I should say that some people love Power Grid and it was incredibly dry and boring to me, however, even though I'm an engineer.

Karkador

Banned
I have to wonder: when people describe games as "dry and boring", are just playing with dull people? I don't think any amount of cardboard and plastic is going to soak the experience with life the way the people at the table are supposed to.

I've had dull experiences with a variety of games, not just Euros.

Dreavus

Millenium Blades

For a game that's pure RNG I liked it a lot, but maybe that's my M:tG background giving me bias. I can't tell you what exactly I liked about it but maybe after a couple more plays I'll be able to.

I think that game was explicitly designed for people with an MTG/TCG background, lol.

Always like to hear more impressions about the game. I considered it a couple times but didn't think I could find interested players. Maybe someday!

ultron87

I think that game was explicitly designed for people with an MTG/TCG background, lol.

Always like to hear more impressions about the game. I considered it a couple times but didn't think I could find interested players. Maybe someday!

Yeah, that game looks like my dream game but I'm pretty sure no one else I know would ever play it.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm so jealous, my box is mid-country somewhere. And yeah, wait until after release, for anyone interested. It should be normal price.

Vard

Really looking forward to hearing impressions for Scythe. Love the art and Stonemaier Games seem to be on point.

Blizzard

Banned
Heads up about one design issue, there's a black slash that should be white or silver for visibility instead. Engineering mat:

engineeringrjufr.png

Apologies if the Scythe talk is getting overloaded or dull. It will probably die down after release. :)

Top Bottom