• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Alright, so, as a self proclaimed DKC megafan, I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't picked this game up until last Friday. It released too close to South Park and Titanfall; and I was just coming off of playing DKCR 3D, so I was a bit burned out on the series back in February. Well, thanks to that triple credit deal at Target a few weeks ago, I was able to get a sizable amount of credit and figured, "What the hell? It's about time I jump back in." I had heard the hype from the media and you guys, but was still skeptical from my burn out. Let me just say that I now know that my skepticism was unwarranted. This game is AMAZING!

Where to begin, where to begin? I have to say that I was a little disappointed by Retro's last entry, if nothing else, for the fact that it seemed like there was very little variety in environments. Upon booting up Tropical Freeze, I was immediately greeted by the same old jungle environment that had felt so stale time and time before, and my heart sank. Even though I was initially concerned, I quickly remembered seeing videos showing sweeping savannahs, and made the decision that I must trudge on. Let me tell you how happy I am that I did this. I am only on world 3 at the moment, but let me tell you how refreshing this game has been since I left the jungle in world 1. Every stage feels completely different while still sharing the aesthetic and theme of the world around it. I loved the Oktoberfest/Germainic feel of world 2, and the Serengeti feel of world 3 has awakened feelings of when I first saw The Lion King as a child. Props to Retro for yet again showing us that they are the masters of environmental design!

The level design in this game is probably the best in any DKC game, and possibly the best level design I've seen from any company(Nintendo included) in years, surpassing even the sublime level design found in last year's Rayman Legends. The quality of level design is even more impressive when you consider the length of most levels. These are the longest 2D platforming levels I believe I have ever played, and yet, at no point do they ever seem to get old or boring. Retro has added enough variety to every level to make it seem like you are always doing something new.

Bringing David Wise back to do the soundtrack was the smartest decision that they could've made with this title. Wise's compositions in DKC and DKC2 are still some of the highlights of the Snes era, and the OST for DKC2 is still, to this day, one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. That being said, Wise does not disappoint in Tropical Freeze. The remakes are masterfully done, and the original tracks are among the best in series history. The way he has craftily hidden subtle nods to previous tracks within the new ones gives me chills. I will wait until I finish the game to rank whether I believe this OST is better than DKC2's, but for now, I believe it has to be at least equal to.

Long story short, while I never thought it possible, I am beginning to wonder if this game will overtake DKC2 as my favorite game in the series. It fires on all cylinders; and after playing it, I have to admit that I'm no longer upset that Retro didn't make their first Wii U title a Metroid game. This is platforming perfection, and deserves all the good that has been said about it. It is rare that I find a game that makes me excited about gaming again and brings me back to my youth, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has done just that.

Thanks for suffering through my first thread with me. I wanted to make it as special as possible!

Alright, so, as a self proclaimed DKC megafan, I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't picked this game up until last Friday. It released too close to South Park and Titanfall; and I was just coming off of playing DKCR 3D, so I was a bit burned out on the series back in February. Well, thanks to that triple credit deal at Target a few weeks ago, I was able to get a sizable amount of credit and figured, "What the hell? It's about time I jump back in." I had heard the hype from the media and you guys, but was still skeptical from my burn out. Let me just say that I now know that my skepticism was unwarranted. This game is AMAZING!

Where to begin, where to begin? I have to say that I was a little disappointed by Rare's last entry, if nothing else, for the fact that it seemed like there was very little variety in environments. Upon booting up Tropical Freeze, I was immediately greeted by the same old jungle environment that had felt so stale time and time before, and my heart sank. Even though I was initially concerned, I quickly remembered seeing videos showing sweeping savannahs, and made the decision that I must trudge on. Let me tell you how happy I am that I did this. I am only on world 3 at the moment, but let me tell you how refreshing this game has been since I left the jungle in world 1. Every stage feels completely different while still sharing the aesthetic and theme of the world around it. I loved the Oktoberfest/Germainic feel of world 2, and the Serengeti feel of world 3 has awakened feelings of when I first saw The Lion King as a child. Props to Retro for yet again showing us that they are the masters of environmental design!

The level design in this game is probably the best in any DKC game, and possibly the best level design I've seen from any company(Nintendo included) in years, surpassing even the sublime level design found in last year's Rayman Legends. The quality of level design is even more impressive when you consider the length of most levels. These are the longest 2D platforming levels I believe I have ever played, and yet, at no point do they ever seem to get old or boring. Retro has added enough variety to every level to make it seem like you are always doing something new.

Bringing David Wise back to do the soundtrack was the smartest decision that they could've made with this title. Wise's compositions in DKC and DKC2 are still some of the highlights of the Snes era, and the OST for DKC2 is still, to this day, one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. That being said, Wise does not disappoint in Tropical Freeze. The remakes are masterfully done, and the original tracks are among the best in series history. The way he has craftily hidden subtle nods to previous tracks within the new ones gives me chills. I will wait until I finish the game to rank whether I believe this OST is better than DKC2's, but for now, I believe it has to be at least equal to.

Long story short, while I never thought it possible, I am beginning to wonder if this game will overtake DKC2 as my favorite game in the series. It fires on all cylinders; and after playing it, I have to admit that I'm no longer upset that Retro didn't make their first Wii U title a Metroid game. This is platforming perfection, and deserves all the good that has been said about it. It is rare that I find a game that makes me excited about gaming again and brings me back to my youth, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has done just that.

Thanks for suffering through my first thread with me. I wanted to make it as special as possible!

wat

I concur. I picked it up recently at Toys R Us with the Mario Kart deal and I'm a bit ashamed I didn't pick it up sooner.

It's far and away the best Donkey Kong Country game based on what I've played so far. I don't know how well it's selling or what the reception has been like, but Retro deserves any praise they get. It's just a meaty, challenging gameplay experience. That's the best compliment I can give a video game.

Oidisco

I said it in the OT a few times, but this game was such a complete shock for me. While I always kinda liked the DKC series, they were never games I cared that much about (I do have a tonne nostalgia for DKC2 though, since it was the 2nd game I ever played). And when Tropical Freeze was announced at E3 I was one of those silly people who were really disappointed and almost angry about it, since I wanted a new IP from Retro.

To go from that to being my favourite 2D Platformer of all time is quite a feat!

Oh and it has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a game.

The sound is nuts in this game too. When DK beats his chest at the start of a level he nearly bottoms out my center. So much bass.

Very true! I had forgotten to mention this. I was blown away when I started the second boss level and I realized that there actually was a realistic echo in that cavernous area. I couldn't believe they put that much detail in.

Toxi

Banned
Oh boy, wait till you reach World 5. It's easily my favorite.

As a huge Metroid fan, I'm glad Retro made this game.

Oidisco

I love all the little animations in the game too. The fact that there's several different animations for DK sliding down a steep slope and then dusting himself off depending which direction you're facing and which Kong is with is such a nice touch. Diddy slapping the dust from his cap is adorable!

It's probably the best 2D platformer of all time, every level has some neat hook of its own. The soundtrack is astounding, every track is so layered and lush. Really the only flaw I can think of is that the game looks TOO good, it's information overload sometimes.

Oh boy, wait till you reach World 5. It's easily my favorite.

As a huge Metroid fan, I'm glad Retro made this game.

I can't wait to see everything. The last two worlds have just been so fresh and original. I'm sure that is a trend that continues all the way through.

Spinluck

In my top 5 platformers ever.

Incredible game. Loved every minute of it, I have to go back and go on a full on collectathon though. The game deserves it, I DESERVE IT.

DJ_Lae

Great game. I'm still not sure why there are control options (just let me switch between the stick and dpad at will without having to select it as a menu option) and some of the bosses are kind of sketchy, but it's an absolute blast from start to finish.

And to be fair its controls and bosses are far better than what's on display in Donkey Kong Country Returns.

One question for you guys: did you guys really think this game was difficult? I only ask, because, while I've had levels where I've died 3-6 times, normally it's because I was hunting for puzzle pieces. Also, I have been at 99 lives since the 3rd level of the 2nd world, so the fear of failure is never really there for me. Just wondering what others think!

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
One question for you guys: did you guys really think this game was difficult? I only ask, because, while I've had levels where I've died 3-6 times, normally it's because I was hunting for puzzle pieces. Also, I have been at 99 lives since the 3rd level of the 2nd world, so the fear of failure is never really there for me. Just wondering what others think!

Have you played the K levels yet? Most people lose 30+ lives on 2-K.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Absolutely stunning game. I'm really sad its metacritic is so low just because it's not popularly recognized as one of the best 2D platformers ever... But I'm so glad it's in my collection.

I bought a Wii U to play this game. One of my favorite games ever.

That Lion King inspired Grassland Groove level had me smiling end to end. Such amazing art direction!

The soundtrack is also incredible. David freakin Wise man.

Some of my favorite tracks:

Twilight Terror
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLOGs9ttiE

Forest Folly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di6VFegOMfk

Grassland Groove
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss421nbCAJE

Irate Eight (Tension)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOwf-GdGEko

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The Retro DK games are in a other universe in teens of quality, compared to the Rare games. Amazingly polished.

The game gets much harder as it goes on, but as always there is a limit to how much they can challenge veteran platform gamers without making the game unplayable for most people.

Also, play the K- levels. Some of them are disgustingly tricky.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I sometimes go back to play specific levels but this thread makes me want to replay the entire game over again.

NotLiquid

This is the only 2D platformer in the two recent generations that has actually evoked the perfect feeling of nostalgia and progression for me. It's the natural evolution, the next big step for the series. It's borderline perfection, and could serve as a case study of game design.

Also posting Seashore War because holy shit that guitar evokes a longing atmosphere that can contend with even the classics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boqy0Q-4c_M

Couldn't believe how awesome the level designs were. I've never seen a 2D side scroller with that much crazy shit crammed into every level. So good.

Kodaman

For me it's the best DKC, and one of the best platformers of all time. The music it's the icing on the cake, and my god what an icing.

I felt it was a bit easier than Returns, but still a good challenge. Have you been unlocking the K levels? They provide the stiffest challenge the game has to offer, and some great designs too.

The strongest praise I can give this game is that whenever I try to plonk down some sort of impressions or thoughts on it I have trouble putting into words just how much this game worked for me and have to try and steer clear of becoming a fountain of gushing praise. I mean as far as sequels go it managed to improve upon what I felt was an incredibly strong base in all the right ways. It's not a massive leap over its predecessor like DKC2 was to the original DKC, it is however something I find akin to the sequel process of Super Mario Galaxy to Super Mario Galaxy 2 which was along the lines of discovering that you could go beyond the top of the mountain and ascend to a higher plane.

There's very little I'd change about Tropical Freeze if given the opportunity through divine game reassembling wizardry, I mean sure those bonus rooms definitely need a retooling but that's the only true blemish for me on this package. TF is a game that looked at the little issues of DKCR and rectified them, from boss fights to bounce timing windows Tropical Freeze pushes things forwards in all the right directions where the only thing I see as taking a step back from Returns is the difficulty level being a tier below and I'm totally fine with that. I've played a lot of sequels this year with high hopes riding on them thinking if they could be the one definitive follow up and honestly I've found most of them to fall short of my expectations and in turn I find this propels TF further forward for being the one that delivered ahead of my loftier expectations. Just a sequel my arse, this is pure platforming goodness and with MK8 bumping up Wii U sales a little bit I hope more people experience this gem.

Also David Wise, I could set up another praise fountain exclusively for this fine fellows work here.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It fires on all cylinders; and after playing it, I have to admit that I'm no longer upset that Retro didn't make their first Wii U title a Metroid game.
I'm still upset.

I've played a lot of sequels this year with high hopes riding on them thinking if they could be the one definitive follow up and honestly I've found most of them to fall short of my expectations and in turn I find this propels TF further forward for being the one that delivered ahead of my loftier expectations.

That's actually a good point... Games like Dark Souls II and Lords of Shadow 2 were good, but they left something to be desired imo. There are still some aspects of DKCR I prefer, but TF in no way disappointed me. There is very little I would change about it and it is still my frontrunner for game of the year.

javac

Best Wii U game by far. Best Nintendo 2D platformer and best Donkey Kong game ever and one of the best video game soundtracks ever.

That's actually a good point... Games like Dark Souls II and Lords of Shadow 2 were good, but they left something to be desired imo. There are still some aspects of DKCR I prefer, but TF in no way disappointed me. There is very little I would change about it and it is still my frontrunner for game of the year.

Funny choices there, It was those two games I had in the original version of my post as my own examples before I decided to save on space.

Have you played the K levels yet? Most people lose 30+ lives on 2-K.

I played 1-K, but missed a letter somewhere in 2, so I didn't unlock 2-K yet. I'm going to go back and get it eventually. I was just enjoying world 2 so much I didn't want to stop and go back to get it yet! Lol

Top Bottom